Show off your Map Art (shameless plug)

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by MrCDub, Oct 12, 2020.

1. As some of you know, cause I wont shut up about it, Ive been working on a rather large map art project. As a child I had a Super Nintendo and my favorite game of my lifetime is Super Metroid. Samus Aran is the protagonist of the series. The first map art Ive made on EMC is a portrait of Zero Suit Samus. I am selling it for 24r plus whatever the customer wants to pay, meaning I am just counting on you guys being decent people. Over 200 hrs, more than a handful of people, close to 400k blocks, and probably about a million rupees went into this project. That being said, if I don't make anything off it I'd still do it again. You can purchase this on smp8 (sadly it only lives there) at /v mrcdub 3.

Special Thanks to MissBonnieParker, Chumminer, TheBuilder500, FadedMartian, B0bbythebuild3r, and TheCritic for help in completing this project. Original Artwork by Poppupantsu on zerochan.

Now with that out of the way I'd also like to see your Map art Projects!!!
    Klumpelil, luckycordel, weeh and 13 others like this.
  2. Wow its finished! Absolutely stunning! Remind us what the area of the map is again haha
  3. That makes my one-weekend flag rather small in comparisont...

Anyway, great your project is done :) I heard about it quite a few times now, and it is great to see the final result. It looks great :)
  4. Shameless Bump.
    Im thinking this is the next one. Arriving 2026.
  5. I suppose that depicts Samus Aran too?
  6. yea. That's her power suit.
  7. Oooooo map art. i have a slight obsession with that. :D
    i dont recall ever playing that game. but your art looks nice.
    if anyones curious heres a few pieces i've done over the last year-ish.

https://imgur.com/a/q3GQrx6
  8. So I think majority of you have known of my projects and the main one being on smp7 frontier center. There has been a lot of work being put in from valiant volunteers and I thank for their work in the teardown and donations for materials. Seriously, I can't thank them enough.

So, back in 16 when I really moved to smp7 from smp6, with backing support from veteran smp7ers' supplying lots of wool and obsidian, I have created this

It was showing some decay from being predating the build protection we have now in place today. It was also lacking lots of color because the schematic was made before 1.12.2. Then I have been banned twice and really didn't fill in all the obsidian or the holes that previous greifers took out of it. It was really time for a change.

When I came back in 2018, I was constantly reminded that I had a pixel art that was needing my attention. I agreed but I remembered that this schematic as many that I had before it died with a laptop that fried. So I had to start from scratch, which wasn't new for me. I always start with a image from the internet and when I find the perfect one I want to recreate, I do as such. I use a program called SpriteCraft. There is a free version but there is a full version that offers more selection of blocks and materials. It already generates in schematic, so I just had to paste using world edit on my building single player world, and then save it as a litematica file. (Reason why I liked Schematica).

With that said, construction began the end of June...

By end of July, the deconstruction of the old pixel art began

By this point you can really see the newer pixel art showing a eye for the live map to see. I don't have a exact date when all the blocks were removed but it happened by middle of August. Obsidian as a color block wasn't a good choice on my end.

Now you can see the last few days of work within this week.

I am still tracking to finish this pixel art by this Halloween because seemed like a good date to shoot for. For the details, this is a 500x500 block pixel art. 250,000 blocks of different assortments. Not as large feet as MrCDub's art but again, not a easy feet as he would agree. I will continue to update here for my pixel art!

If you want to see this art yourself, just click this link:
    https://smp7.emc.gs/?worldname=wilderness&mapname=flat&zoom=3&x=52&y=64&z=-596
  9. How do you determine the most efficient way to put down blocks? IE do you start with black and does the program you're using generate an instruction set?
    607 likes this.
  10. I have made a tic tac toe set of maps-- anyone want to play tic tac toe?!

11. Litematica had a middle click option so just like in minecraft where you can middle click a block and if you have that block in your inventory, it will automatically pull it from your inventory and go to your hotbar. So you are middle and right clicking all the time
    UltiPig likes this.
  12. I made the base for my map art a few years ago. It took forever. I can't even imagine how long it would take to place the blocks...

TheJuniorMint and luckycordel like this.
  13. One thing that I would add is that the colour of a block, when it appears on a map, is slightly changed when the displayed is either angeled to the north or to the south, meaning it such that angeling the map diagonally with its northern face down will make it a bit more bright and vibrant, which, for stuff like flags, is quite usefull.

For the diagonal block placement: just walk backwards over the prvious row placing the next one. using schematica to change colours/blocks when needed. :) Technically, there is a faster method (for plain surfaces anyway,) but I found that one frustrating as it makes you stand on your just placed blocks, which, if you've got an internet connection as bad as mine, isn't a good idea. (They sometimes fail to place, making you fall down)
    TheJuniorMint and 607 like this.
  14. Wow, you actually removed the old one? I was not expecting that! And by removing the blocks, even, not by simply building over it. :p Well, I guess that let you reclaim the materials. :)
    The new one is huge. :eek:
    Nice! Is that a painting?

Hm, I'm not quite sure what you mean, to be honest! I've tried to picture the block placement, but I'm not sure if I got it right.