Should firearms be banned? {Closed}

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TechNinja_42, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes it is in your rights to bear arms, but technically there is nothing disallowing the regulation of what arms you can have. And this is something that really needs to be used.
    It's not just sociopaths. It's just anyone who is seen at risk of committing crime or would be irresponsible with a gun.

This is the issue. For everyones sake, people are going to have to give up some of their weapons. I believe that here in Australia people who didn't hand in guns had them confiscated. I realised that this would be a much more extensive operation in the US, but are there no records which could be used to locate such weapons and confiscate them?
  2. Technically that amendment makes almost all gun control laws in the US unconstitutional as it prevents or infringes on the ownership of ARMS.

People can be irresponsible with anything. Perhaps we try and keep knives, bombs and cars out of the hands of sociopaths and the incompetent as well? All of those are used with more frequency to commit crimes but we should ban guns.

If I were to "give up" my gun it would benefit absolutely no one. It has nothing to do with "everyone's sake" and I would never give them up anyways. There are TENS OF MILLIONS of people in the US that think the exact same way I do and at a moments notice I can have the ear of nearly half of them that someone has tried to come and forcefully remove my weapons. Within hours there would be at least a dozen like minded individuals on my door step setting up camp. Within days dozens and if(which of course as stated before they would abandon hope long before this as they have done so many times within recent years over less important issues to those of us that are true militia) the poor souls decided to continue to try and pursue such a faulty goal and it lasted for weeks there would be literally hundreds of people in my city to oppose them. Most veterans, some of which (that I know personally) rangers and spec ops veterans that the "new age" law enforcement would have no clue how to handle.

In the US if you are worried about the sake of everyone, you are better to leave the militias, the gun rights activists and the hunters to their own as inciting them would not make the US safer by any stretch of the imagination.
    markethan13 likes this.
  3. But what's the purpose of a Militia? If a government got the point that it needed overthrowing, you wouldn't be able to do it in your wildest dreams. And hunters don't need automatic weapons, a shotgun or something of the like would do fine.
  4. You are very wrong. The us is one of the few places in the world where if we pushed to overthrow our government it would be possible. Not only is our militia armed but its populated by men with resolve and training that is superior to that of the common foot soldier, more time with a rifle than the us army's average soldier and if it came down to a point where an overthrow was necessary, surely with more resolve. If you want to find the highest suicide statistics in the world I'm sure that the us armed forces would rank right up there at the top. That's not resolve, that's defeat and those men aren't fighting well armed and trained men who have great pull within almost all of those organizations that would be expected to displace such a rebellion. Like I said before, the militias of the US are comprised primarily of veterans, not to mention former law enforcement, and elite military units. A government overthrow in the US would be a very bad thing and I wouldn't advocate it unless there were real reason, which today and for the foreseeable future, there is not. However, the US militias, freedom fighters, gun advocates, hunters and anti-government apologists combined would not be able to be quelled by any established military force in the world. This is common knowledge to our enemies.
  5. Like I said, some view it differently with Religions, etc.
  6. Well this has been highly entertaining... Funny to watch a microcosm of the whole gun-control debate at work.
    If I may lay to rest some of the sillier stuff though:
    -Marshmallow, you still terrify me. "It's just fun!," seriously? GUNS ARE NOT TOYS.
    -Everyone, please stop quoting Kitten so he can safely ignore the thread. :)
    (honestly, I've read through this whole thing and I still don't understand how a discussion on sheep cloning ends up in a thread about gun control.)
    -Statistics can be bent to the whim of whoever uses them. People from both sides like to say "Oh, the data says this!" and point to how right they are, and how the other side is misinterpreting it, or drawing a false comparison.
    -Other countries are irrelevant, not because of their laws but their mentality. A healthy reminder to all: the internet may make the world seem smaller, but it is still a patchwork of nations and cultures with their own ideologies. What works just fine for one part of the world would spell disaster in another.
    -"Amendments" to the US constitution, in general, are meant to correct glaring oversights and provide a solid foundation for the laws of the nation. The Bill of Rights, however (the first ten amendments) are special - consider them the Ten Commandments of American lawmaking. While it is technically possible for an Amendment to be passed that somehow repeals or inhibits the Second, this would be a bit like the Pope saying "Forget that 'no other gods before me' bit, it's cool if you want to praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster at mass." In practice, it's pretty absurd. That being said... our government has attempted (and done) some ridiculous stuff in the past, so it is the responsibility of the People to step up and call BS when the occasion requires it.

And to put a more personal touch on things,
    Consider yourself lucky, mba. Spend some time in Detroit, take a walk through NYC's Central Park at night, drive through Chester, Camden, or Philadelphia - you get my point. You feel safe where you are, and that's fine, but don't assume the rest of the world is as cozy (particularly since you're not even referencing the same country). There are a lot of dangerous areas in the USA where violent crime can and does happen, even without guns. "Gun control" measures in those cases do exactly what's been pointed out in the thread already - they prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves, while doing nothing to stop the less savory types from arming up.

Is that the case everywhere? Certainly not. Even within the country, gun control is not a one-size-fits-all solution, and will have unintended consequences - like my friend in North Carolina who did in fact lose her job at a firearms plant (while six months pregnant no less). I'm not blaming "gun control" for that one, specifically, but the point stands.
  7. and a world with no guns would be grate*. a military person or anyone with any skill could snap and go on a killing spree with a knife (and get farther then with a gun before getting found out do the the lack of sound) and when everyone found out you couldn't stop him since hay no one has any guns anymore .
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  8. Walk through Compton for an hour, probably more dangerous than all of those.

Guns are for the most part a good thing. Yes, they Can be deadly if used improperly, and if the person using it is not cautious and takes no safety measures.

Guns used in sports are pretty neat, look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYwjI0MJYoA
    markethan13 and southpark347 like this.
  9. What I meant by criminally insane is that some people see killing other humans as an OK thing to do. I did not mean to come across as rude when I said that, and if I did I apologize. However, I do believe there should be restrictions on the sale and use of firearms as said in the OP. Gun Licenses could be sold to those who know how to safely operate a gun, and those who have little to no criminal record.
  10. If pistols are the weapon that is the most deadly and used in the most crimes while also being easy to get, then those are the ones we would need to focus on. I never mentioned any specific type of gun and I said that large was the wrong word.
  11. I wish Americans would spend as much time and resources on mental health treatment and income inequality as we do on efforts to regulate firearms. That would solve most crime in general. and sorry kitten, I'll stop quoting you now:)
    BrenJone likes this.
  12. This. Here we have a top 5 safest city and a top 20 most dangerous city (in the US) within 3 1/2 hours of each other. It's just a fact that some places are always going to be more dangerous than others. If you live in a safe city, that's awesome. You have every right to not carry a gun. If you live in a dangerous city, you should have every right to carry a gun to protect yourself.
    Gawadrolt and markethan13 like this.
  13. #LA WOOOOO
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  14. The "right to bear arms" was created in the event our government becomes a raging bunch of dinguses, and starts to treat us poorly. The weapons allows us to revolt. Except, that's no longer the case because while we may have rifles and pistols, THE GOVERNMENT HAS DRONES. The government has access to technology that could wipe out any pathetic attempt of revolt against the government.

Guns aren't needed, but they do make some things easier. For example, hunting, guns are almost needed because of how large some animals are. I'm against hunting for sport, but hunting for food is required otherwise we'd have serious over population on our hands. Have any of you ever been in an area with an over population of deer or rabbits?

It stinks (literally)

Should they be banned? No. Should they be regulated? Yes.
  15. I've seen the "check against government" thing come up before, but forgot to address it.
    Drones, and other military hardware, require personnel to operate. The US military is comprised of volunteers, those who wish to serve - not drafted or conscripted. Ergo, I'd like to think that in the event there was an occasion in which "the government" faced a mass armed uprising, our military (for all its technological superiority) would be reluctant to act in full force against the people. More to the point, I'm certain at least some would question the situation, and who they were really fighting for.
    Gawadrolt and markethan13 like this.
  16. You ever gonna stop?

Guns are fun. And I understand gun safety better then most people. Maybe even you?

Please, Stop judging me?
    luckycordel and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  17. I have to agree with this. Guns can be fun if you are using them in competitions/sports.
  18. I love using them for sport. I am sure that people saying those things haven't shot one. I know they aren't toys. I am one of the safest people when it comes to gun safety. It has been drilled into my head since I was old enough to fire a BB gun.
    luckycordel and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  19. i think that is very possible.
    same
    luckycordel and marshmallow369 like this.

20. Gun, Cannons, Artillery, are a Blast! (No pun Intended) Ok maybe a little pun :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.