Remove treasure chest protection in the wild

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Fred_TWK, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Based on this.

As suggested by PetezzaDawg, I am making an official suggestion out of my comment.

Please do not protect treasure chests in the Frontier/Wild.

If one wants to look for those chests, there's the waste.

If I have an outpost in the wild, I want to be able to dig perimeters and build farms in the shape and location I prefer.

I do not want to find a spawner at -40 with two chests I can't remove right in the middle of the perimeter, completely ruining what I have spent weeks doing.

Note: this is not the case now, the spawner is just to the side, but I can't turn it in a good grinder because I can't remove the chests.
  2. Seems like a waste for SS to spend time on such things imo, however:

Even though /waste is for resource gathering,
    /wild is still very much so for exploring the world, and finding complete structures where you can still find loot would be nice, however, with today’s EMC’s playerbase and 10 year old /wild, I dont think there’s a need for such protection since it will be hard to find such structures in a virgin/intact state and almost all players now have a decent understanding of the rules and culture of EMC, however, I leave this alternate suggestion between what we have now, and what the suggestion idea is.

In the coming weeks Empires is supposed to be introduced, my alternate suggestion is to add
    < /treasurechest delete> which activates like /bmode, however it requires the player to be in a Empire.

I imagine there will be some sort of (minimal) barrier for a new player to immediately create their own Empire (ie. 1000 token price or something) - this will prevent random griefers of using it.

And the addition of this command will also let the player delete such chest, maybe for free maybe for a fee in tokens, which will free up SS from performing this service.

So +0.5

I know LandClaiming is different than Empires - however: I beleive a player just belonging to an Empire is enough restriction for such a minor thing.
  3. I deleted that post 40 secs after posting it because I thought about it, but still. I haven't seen it an issue for too many people including myself.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  4. +1! ElfinPineapple, Hashhog and Krysyy have more important things to do, and it'd be a frustration and eyesore to simply leave the chest in a skeleton farm or something.
  5. Merek_Shadower likes this.
  6. I don't agree that involving staff is a good idea.

Maybe a command for outpost owners could be a good compromise, but that depends on the coding effort required.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  7. I agree, given our severe paucity of senior staff, the need for an active community manager to hire new ones and the inactivity of both of our existing senior staff and our community manager. Unless it's disabled entirely in the frontier, the next-best option would be a command for people to use to disable it in their empires, or even disabling them automatically once they're claimed as part of an empire.
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  8. I’m not sure if something changed in the last 2 years, but empires ≠ land claiming. It’s more of a guild system. The land claiming aspect is supposed to be part of the outposts update which has been delayed for so long I don’t know if it’ll ever see the light of day. Given that these solutions won’t work until the outposts update comes out, turning the feature off in the frontier is probably the best solution. Or maybe charging a token fee to destroy the chests so trolls can’t just break them to ruin them for others.
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  9. How often is this an issue? How many times is this an actual problem? I mean, I have the same things at my outpost and it's an easy enough work around. I only see 1 or 2 situations that something like this is needed, therefore hardly using any staff time at all. I don't see the benefit in changing the ENTIRE wild world because there is only a few chests in a certain area that bother very few players.

A command would an interesting work around tho...
  10. The thing is, we don't even have much help from senior staff/the community manager in-game these days, given how few there are and busy they are. As such, a small inconvenience for moderators and developers (which don't have that much power) would be much more substantial for SS/the CM.

I do like the idea of a command that costs tokens, though! That'd incentivize players to only use it when necessary as well as make the unruly less likely to take advantage of it.
    607, PetezzaDawg and Tuqueque like this.
  11. Empires is actively being worked on, according to dev updates.
    What we don't have is the details of how it's gonna work exactly.
    So, again, it's good to bring this up so that there is an idea of a work-around when we do get some additional perms for outpost owners and groups.
  12. I view the chests as I do spawners. Unless there was a change I am unaware of, we are allowed to remove spawners. In the spirit of play your way, I think a player in the Frontier should be allowed to make whatever modifications they want as long as they are operating within our rules.

I think someone who is exploring/passing through is likely to leave chests and spawners intact after inspecting them. Someone who breaks them has a plan in mind and probably has long term plans to stay in the area.

If we want to preserve these things for the player experience perhaps we should do it closer to the outposts and allow the freedom for the player to decide outside of a boundary in the Frontier. In the case of the Waste, I think preserving them all would be consistent with their intended use.
    We3_MPO, 607, Tuqueque and 2 others like this.
  13. My reply on your other thread.
    Next update will allow breaking these chests in the frontier worlds.
    We3_MPO, 607, Tuqueque and 3 others like this.
  14. Indeed. You're not allowed to center a claimed area within 5 kilometers of a frontier spawn. As such, anything within 3.5 km of the spawns, or between the center and east, west, north or south spawns, is essentially public domain - apart from the "no griefing" and "no stealing" rules, of course. But if you're working in your own claimed territory, say, 30 to 45 kilometers away from the center of the frontier world, those chests could easily become a hassle for a player that wants to make a drowned/zombie, (cave) spider or skeleton/stray farm, or for Krysyy, ElfinPineapple or Hashhog to remove when they're already inactive and no one else in non-technical positions can do it.

Thanks for all you do! That should be a simple but effective solution. And of course, outpost owners can still forbid breaking those chests within their territory if they'd like to leave them for others. (Ooh, that gives me an idea! :D)