Recommended farms?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Talechaser, Mar 5, 2020.

1. I figure the time is short enough now to start preparing. What are some farms that people would recommend to get started building before the update? I'm already planning to do a birch-flower farm to get bee nests for honey. Is there going to be a high demand for tridents?
    khixan likes this.
  2. I would say that they are new and of course some players are gonna want tridents.
  3. I feel like tridents will be popular right when we update but I feel that after the hype dyes down there won't be much of a market for them.

I think aside from honey, bamboo and kelp will be popular items because they both can be smelted and used in furnaces to gain xp.
    ThaKloned and 607 like this.
  4. and bamboo for feeding pandas
    and sea grass for breeding turtles
  5. You can pretty much put together a honeycomb/honey bottle farm now sans the bees and beehives. Would just have to find the beehives to fill as needed once we update. With the update in 1.15.2 to allow for beehives to spawn on trees in certain biomes up to 5% of the time, this may end up being easier than first anticipated when 1.15 originally came out.

Could probably prebuild with most growable items I would bet as well (bamboo, sweet berries, kelp, and potentially seaweed as previously mentioned, but I'm not familiar with designs on that one yet)

Phantoms could prove interesting. I've seen a number of farms for them on youtube, but with EMC not allowing nonplayer entities to go to the nether through nether portals most, if not all, of those farms may not work. If anyone can get a functioning, efficient farm in place I would be really interested in seeing it because I can't think of a way to do it.

Can forget about pillagers until the update hits; you need the actual outpost to build the farm and obviously there's no way to know where they are at in advance.

Wouldn't necessarily bet on this with channeling and riptide enchantments being things now. A channeling trident with mending introduced to a large group of farmed villagers would create a very simple, location nondependent, dedicated witch farm.....at last! It could also potentially simplify gold farms with pigs. Whether these are viable compared to their traditional counterparts, I can't say for sure - but it's certainly worth exploring.

Riptide - you can't tell me that won't be any fun next to an elytra! :D
  6. Ok, did some testing on SP. Unfortunately channelling is dependent on a thunderstorm occurring, otherwise its a more elaborate arrow that hurts a bit more. So that's definitely a *BIG* negative towards replacing either traditional farm with this idea.

That said, I spawned in ~200 pigs in a 10x10 contained area and threw the trident into an area roughly in the upper left quadrant. As far as efficiency goes, ummm.....

I dont know how the EMC gold farms produce in SP without the entity limit constraints, but that was A LOT of pigmen one throw produced. Pretty much nailed any pig within an 8x8 area in crammed conditions.

Long term prospects - probably not - 99% certain a standard gold farm wins cleanly here. But if you want a really cheap gold farm and don't mind waiting until thunderstorms hit to use it, you can make something happen with this and its actually quite viable in that context.

Witches - considering the difficulty in finding a farmable witch area, and then creating it, and then being bound to a location, the concept may prove to be more promising for this route. Being able to choose your farming location alone and the relative ease in spawning a lot of villagers might make it worthwhile.

P.S: Loyalty III is your best friend doing this. The last thing you're gonna want to do is go inside a farm to fetch a trident from a sea of really angry mobs that just got their day ruined by you. :p
    607 and khixan like this.
  7. Is it possible to 'farm' tridents, then? They spawned only with Drowned, right? And those spawn everywhere underwater, not in specific places. You can Drown Zombies (:p) spawned from a spawner, but I suppose they won't obtain tridents upon conversion. ;)
  8. I think it's doable, though you are correct that converted zombies (and even husks) will not obtain a trident, though I believe you can still get standard drops like flesh, xp, and the occasional gold from them. Nautlius shells (conduits anyone) can also be farmed this way.

I played around a bit on SP creative again with it. I had a concept I got half working, but my thoughts was use villagers as bait on the ocean floor to get drowned into a mob elevator (soul sand, magma block, etc) to a holding area and then take a water flow ride into a drop zone area that someone can take a looting III sword after for a one hit kill. Ideal is a deep ocean biome.

I think my problem was I made my test farm too small XD. I used a 6x6 bait area (5x5 for bait, then the next block over was soul sand) to feed into a 7x7 area, but I couldn't get the water inside that 7x7 area to flow properly into the drop for the kill chamber. Ultimately I think a 9x9 area will have to be used cause you'll want to use flowing water to push them towards the drop area. I also swapped up last second to try and get a villager to use for the drop zone instead of water, but initial design flaws made it impossible. :D
    607 likes this.
  9. Honey for sure. It's not only a slime block substitute good, but also a slime block complimentary good. People will be needing it in blocks by the chest for sure.
    KatydidBuild and 607 like this.