[Poll] How do you navigate to/through the Wiki?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexC__, Nov 18, 2017.

?

How do you get to pages in the Wiki? This includes getting to it, then going to other pages.

Click in-game link (e.g. shops.emc.gs) from chat, /help, etc. 3 vote(s) 9.4%
I remember shortlinks (e.g. shops.emc.gs) 8 vote(s) 25.0%
Page List index 8 vote(s) 25.0%
Category links at bottom of each page 5 vote(s) 15.6%
Side/top-bar links 4 vote(s) 12.5%
Go to empire.us and click Wiki tab 11 vote(s) 34.4%
Category links on main WIki page 13 vote(s) 40.6%
Wiki/forum search 13 vote(s) 40.6%
Google search (e.g. site:empireminecraft.com shops) 2 vote(s) 6.3%
Bookmarked key pages 1 vote(s) 3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi all, I just want to get some information as to how you find/get to the Wiki, and navigate through its numerous pages :)

This is for research purposes, to see if there's anything we can consider improving on the front end to make it easier to navigate - unfortunately, our forum software limits how far we can go elsewhere.

The poll is above, and you can elaborate on your response if you wish. You can make multiple selections because it asks for info about getting to the Wiki at first, and then getting to other pages if you need to. Sorry if I missed some! Feel free to post them if I did. I'm also sure some people are experts and don't need the Wiki at all.

SeflYT, AyanamiKun and 607 like this.
  2. Voted :) I've always used the top bar
    AlexC__ likes this.
  3. u forgot an option: "i dont use the wiki but ask other ppl" ^.^

is what i usually do :)
    607 likes this.
  4. The wiki search is actually quite annoying to use, and the organization of categories feels sporadic imo
  5. Bump :) Thanks for all responses so far

Sporadic in what way? Do you feel they need to be smaller and more plentiful, the opposite, or are there pages in categories that they don't belong in?
    607 likes this.
  6. It feels difficult to figure out which pages are in what categories. They're too vaguely titled, in my opinion.
  7. Figured I'd respond because it also acts as a bump and who knows...

I used to try and use the search option but unfortunately that's pretty much useless in my opinion. Sometimes I get tempted to try it only to quickly realize "nope!". Because I'm lazy I also can't be bothered with Google too much (search string "site:wiki.emc.gs <stuff>") so I basically rely on the links which I remember and the main page.

And although I do agree a little bit with Aliya up there I also think it has been improved quite a bit over the past months. Those chaotic links used to be a lot worse in my opinion.

One point of concern though... I still think you guys should rely more on your team to help fix pages. Problem is that I quite often spot weird things in the wiki which are obviously a result of people overlooking it. The kind of things which a team would normally spot and fix. That's what makes a wiki so useful in the first place.

For example the locked items page. You can't lock shulker shells because you can't place those in the first place, but you can lock shulker boxes. I'm not trying to be overly critical (nor negative) here because as a writer I can fully understand how such a typo could get in there in the first place. The only reason I mention this is because it is also the perfect example: this is just the kind of thing which the original writer and/or maintainer of a wiki page would easily overlook (and continue to overlook) while others could spot & fix this.

This is also the reason why I really appreciate it when 607 sometimes corrects some of my posts when he spots a typoe in there. Sometimes you just can't do it alone :)

Anyway... Enough criticasting :D

As said I also think that the wiki, in general, has definitely improved over the years. Some categories, and their contents, make much more sense now.
    607, AlexC__ and SeflYT like this.
  8. Even though I've been on the contribution team, I still have to use the search bar to find things. If I can't find what I need, I also use command+f (control+f on windows) to find keywords on the main Wiki page.
    loj, 607, AlexC__ and 1 other person like this.