[Poll / give-away] Do you use the offhand?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Do you use the offhand?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2017.
Yes, mostly to hold shields. 5 vote(s) 10.9%
Yes, mostly for exploring (holding maps). 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yes, mostly for mining (holding torches, food, potions, etc.). 6 vote(s) 13.0%
Yes, mostly for building (holding building materials). 4 vote(s) 8.7%
Yes, but for all of the above. 10 vote(s) 21.7%
No, I don't know what the offhand is. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, I don't use the offhand. 15 vote(s) 32.6%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 6 vote(s) 13.0%
  1. When I use the my offhand, its usually for the use of things like torches and other handy mining equiptment. But if you guys know me, on Utopia I have a Lucky Rabbits Foot in my offhand for "luck" when breeding (just a note, the foot does not do anything when I do that).
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I'm usually using this in shallow water, so I can empty it easily. Yes, basically stay under water forever and kill squids.
    607 likes this.
  3. repairing...Mob arena...making concrete/stationary mining....holding just one more stack
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Ze bump and ze explonatioon :D

Get your vote in to have a chance of winning the exclusive, decently rare, Empire Minecon t-shirt promo promo ;)

And because we're 4 days away from the drawing I figured I'd also explain the reason for this poll, especially because there appears to be no more need for worrying.

So: a few weeks ago jeb_ was in an interview and suddenly gave the following comment:

And that caused quite an uproar in the Minecraft community because... what were they thinking? And if we look at the poll results so far then it seems to me as if a majority of players does indeed use their offhand from time to time, also for things which apparently weren't intended this way.

Players also came up with theories for the underlying reason behind these changes, and they traced it back to the PE versions in which you apparently can't use the offhand for building (note: just relaying what I heard, since I don't play on PE / Win10 versions myself I don't know this part).

Fortunately for us the community roared and even Mojang had to acknowledge the massive protests this had drawn. So a few days later jeb_ released this comment:

So we're all safe once more from the evil offhand Mojang offhanders :D

But yeah, even so: thanks for your votes so far. And a few days more and I'll draw the winners. And maybe next time I'll try to think about making polls run a little shorter too :)
    TomvanWijnen, PhoenixAffinity and 607 like this.
  5. Hasn't this already ended? Come on, I want the prizes drawn already, the tension is getting too much!! :mad:

I mean... do you realize what a Minecon t-shirt goes for these days? Lots of people want them because they've been quite rare and then some doofus makes us wait for almost a month before we get a chance to win one. Get a move on already!

Oh wait... this is my give away! :oops: Uhm, moving right along... :D

But yeah, one more day and then I'll draw the prizes guys. Tomorrow is going to be the big one!

How do you draw a random winner?

Well, simple... Everyone voted in public. So I'm just going to place all the names in a list (from top to bottom) and then draw a random number using random.org which uses the maximum number of votes.

And here's the last bump :)
    607 likes this.
  6. It's 0:52 and the 20th of December where I live. Time for the big draw! :cool:

How the drawing was done

First I copied all the names in the votes above and then pasted them into a text file. Then I replaced the spaces with a , copied the lines again and this time pasted it into LibreOffice Calc:

Then I disqualified a few people for reasons not shared in public (if you want to know the details you're free to PM me) and set up some formulas to count the amount of votes and define the ranges (see screenshot).

So to explain: row 4 is 11 to 14, so if random.org were to give me 13 then I'd knew right away that this row contains the winner. The vote amounts were used to determine the range I had to use. So in this case 1 - 45.

And the winner is....

# 35 => AndrewTheFrog!

If you want to check these results for yourself then you can download the above Calc sheet here. Be aware that you'll need LibreOffice to load / edit this file. Libre Office is an open source Office program, basically a continuance of Open Office (which is often better known).

Andrew: I'll mail the Minecon t-shirt shortly after posting this message.

Thanks everyone for voting!
  7. "When the poll is over then one lucky voter will receive a Minecon t-shirt promo from the luck of the draw (random.org)"
    lol, aww, I was actually just about to reply... oh well. :p Congratulations to the winner! :)

EDIT: I meant that the poll hadn't ended yet at this time. :p
    607 and ShelLuser like this.