POISON IVY HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ItsMeWolffpack, Jul 5, 2018.

?

Have you had poison ivy or anything similar before?

Yes 12 vote(s) 52.2%
No 11 vote(s) 47.8%
  1. I'm heading to the store to try it out. Thanka!
  2. I'LL BE RANKING THE EFFECTIVENESS VS PAIN OF THESE REMEDIES: 1-7 1 being little to not effective/painful. 7 Harmless and Very effective
    not in order
    -Oatmeal Lotion
    -Meat Tenderizer
    -Oatmeal Bath
    -Doctor
    -Jewel Weed
    -Hot Water
    -Cold Water
  3. Yes! What Evil said.. it's no joke at all to inhale the smoke. Go to the hospital first. It's better to attend to that immediately.

ok.. sorry, I reacted without reading the whole thread. xD Anyway .. so glad to hear it didn't make it to the inside. The thought of it scared the crap out of me for you. Hope you find something that helps you get over this quickly. :)
    607 likes this.
  4. This girllll is on fireeeeeee
    ItsMeWolffpack likes this.
  5. Here's my general take on it:

People react differently to different poisons. The main ones are Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. Generally on the severity, they may need to give you a prescription to get it over-the-counter at your local Pharmacy.

For the most part, a relief ointment may aid on the external skin: Aloe, Kalemine, Benadril or even an Oatmeal Bath

If you ingested some of them, especially if you were burning brush with poison covered wood/leaves, I'd be a lot more cautious in symptoms. There are oral Benadril tablets, but anything else, and you'll prob need to see a doctor regardless.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  6. OUTCOME (FOR ME)
    -Doctor. This is the way to go. I'm covered with insurance and I had no fees. There was a shot up mah bum but it wasn't bad at all. 1 hour later and no pain and almost instant relief. I have pills for the next week to help.
    -Meat Tenderizer. Works good, may smell funny but had a lasting soothing affect.

-Oatmeal Bath. This worked wonders, doesn't involve tons of hands on and is long lasting.
    -Oatmeal Lotion. This stuff was easy to find and you can get it in body wash form, which worked with my normal shower routine.
    -Jewel Weed. Worked okay, had to find some at first. Does not last long
    -Cold Water. For getting oils off, this worked. Did not help itchyness.
    -Hot Water. VERY painful. Only would recommend if you're trying to hurt yourself. Did leave me itch free, but I think it's like having a cut on your hand and hitting the other one with a hammer.

WHAT I LEARNED:
    LEAVES OF THREE, DON'T TOUCH ME.
    WEAR GLOVES AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS.
    AFTER GETTING POISON IVY, WASH YOUR BODY WITH COLD, SOAPY WATER TO PREVENT DEVELOPMENT OF RASH.
    BE SURE TO GO TO THE DOCTORS IF YOU GET BAD POISON IVY.
    POISON IVY, OAK AND SUMAC IS ALL EASILY PREVENTED. DON'T TOUCH IT.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE REMIDIES AND HELP. I WAS CHECKED FOR BREATHING THE SMOKE IN AND WAS CLEARED. A FAST, IN AND OUT TREATMENT.

7. If you have to burn brush that may have these leaves of three, make sure you are covered up with the right gear next time. A good rule of thumb, "think before you leap". An old saying for the ski industry but works for all applications. "Think before committing something" Always ask for help if you don't know what to do and don't be afraid to say "I'm not comfortable with this" :)
    ItsMeWolffpack likes this.
  8. Huh, I'd never heard of this. It looks like it only appears in North America and Asia.
    I assume you are fine now? :)
  9. You've never heard of poison ivy? :eek: It's everywhere where I live!
  10. i have had poison oak and sumac all at once and i actually had to go to the hospital it was so bad(i am fine now by the way)
  11. Nope. Just stinging nettles and heraclea (had to look up both of those names, Dutch: brandnetels and berenklauwen). But stinging nettles aren't dangerous. Nowadays I hardly feel them anymore. :p
    belac555 likes this.
  12. dear god your lucky im so allergic to the poisons that basically if i look at them i get it and my entire back yard is filled with poison ivy
  13. I have had poison oak very recently and it started healing after I started using Dawn Dishwashing liquid on a wash cloth and breaking open the rash and washing it off...and I scrubbed the rash and made the wash cloth very soapy with Dawn dish detergent. Dawn takes the oil away. I also used a small amount of vitamin E oil along hydrocortisone cream so help put moisure back into my skin from the dish detergent.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  14. Also, go and get a box of latex gloves to use when putting ointments of any kind on the poison rash. Cuts down on getting it on your hands. I forgot to mention that before.
  15. Woah, my Minecraft splash just said "Treatment for your rash!"! :eek:
  16. See, the issue I have with these sorts of things is that I always scratch itchy things way more than I should (mainly bites, but sometimes scabs too :oops:) and they end up becoming open sores, so whenever I try to put anything on them, they sting a ton and it ends up being better to just not put anything on them :I
    ItsMeWolffpack and 607 like this.
  17. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and anything containing urushiol, so much so that I have to be careful not to eat too many cashews which can still contain trace amounts of that offending organic compound even after proper preparation. That being said, poison ivy is pervasive in my area and it's inevitable that I'll have at least a minor encounter or two each year despite all attempts at avoiding it. Here's what I have learned through many years of unpleasant experience.

1. Wear gloves, a shirt with long sleeves, and long pants while working in or traversing through thick foliage, especially at the edge of wooded areas where poison ivy seems most prevalent. Don't grab wild plants with bare hands in thick vegetation areas, including the roots. Poison ivy is a vine and can wind itself along the ground and up trees for long distances and all portions of the plant contain urushiol. One of the worst outbreaks I ever had actually occurred in the middle of winter when I was cleaning out a brushy area near my home and pulling out the root system. There was no poison ivy immediately visible but I still was exposed. My fingers swelled up so severely that I could not bend them and any area of my body which I had subsequently touched was equally irritated. Oh, and avoid brush fires at all costs. Burning poison ivy essentially weaponizes urushiol into an aerosol form.

2. If you suspect that you've been exposed then wash down thoroughly with soap and a washcloth as quickly as possible. Time is of the essence. If you can do so in 15 minutes or less after your exposure then you'll probably eliminate the most if not all of the potential effects. After that, your skin will absorb what's on it and it will be too late.

3. For mild cases of poison ivy, Caladryl is your friend. It is quite effective at reducing itching and weeping from the poison ivy rash once coated and dried. For more substantial cases, take an oatmeal bath once or twice per day using lukewarm water. Hot water is to be avoided as it will irritate the rash and cause substantial pain and itching.

4. For the worst outbreaks a trip to the doctor is probably in order. They can give you either a steroid injection or an oral steroid regimen which will knock down even severe effects of poison ivy pretty quickly.

The good news is that even for highly allergic people such as myself poison ivy rashes only last for couple of weeks. The bad news is that it can be a pretty miserable experience making the basic tasks associated with daily living uncomfortable and interfering with the ability to get a good night's rest. The best course of action to take is prevention wherever possible.
    607 likes this.