Mr. Nice now has his Rant

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Olaf_C, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Are new players like Internet Explorer

Yes 34 vote(s) 52.3%
No 7 vote(s) 10.8%
Maybe 8 vote(s) 12.3%
Banana 9 vote(s) 13.8%
Is that how you spell banana correctly? 7 vote(s) 10.8%
  1. Hmm... Maybe we can make it so that your chat is disabled for 1 hour unless you finish the tutorial.
  2. I do agree how annoying new players are. How do I do this and that, blah, blah, blah... But, don't forget that you were a new player once, too! ;)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. I agree with you man!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Being from SMP5, and playing in most off peek hours a lot. I've found myself in the position of answering questions, or providing help when i'm in town. Usually Torian logs in at some point, and other mods stop by from time to time (or should I say, they become visable lol).
    And yea, before newbies know the color-codes of player names, they do tend to ask if I'm a mod, or even assume I am. But I reacon you more than most are a vocal person, always ready to help. :) So they probably assume you are mod. Probably only a matter of time anyway right?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. No. The constantly spam me until I answer or help me. Yesterday someone did that after they said someone had a gentleman's sausage on their res.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Uhh... Gentlemen's Sausage???
    607, PandasEatRamen and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. Its a bad word lol
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Which is why Notch bailed ages ago in the first place. :)

Same story for all great creators/developers. They move on to new projects when they see the existing one has lost it's innovation (or been taken from them).
    607, jkjkjk182 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. My mom actually did that to me... Is that a bad thing?
    607, AlexChance and Twitch1 like this.
  10. As much as I personally would like that, I think it's bad idea.

The first few mins of a new players time in a server will make or break it for them.Restricting what they can do/use, especially communication will drive them away.

I would highly recommend a 'newbie' or 'help' chat. And have it automatically on, while normal town chat is off, when they start. But do not restrict their access to town chat or an other they currently have. Ideally mods would be on the 'newbie' chat, and from time to time, helpful players would have their 'newbie' chat on to assist where they can. Especially those with shops who want to make some sales.

Assuming they make it through the fun tutorial (i like the new tutorial), they then have to remember and use the many custom features they just learned in the tutorial. /v open - /claim - etc. It can all be very confusing. It's mostly custom stuff, and they find themselves smack in the middle of it when they leave tutorial.

IMO, starting a new player in town is not the easiest way to start the game. It may be safer than the wild, but harder to start in IMO. (The iron tools last all of 10-15 mins, you HAVE to get diamond unbreaking 3 to really get anything done).

My first few moments here were spent desperately trying to find something I was familiar with. As soon as I found the /wild command, I was gone from town for weeks. The wild was a place I knew, where I could start out, build up. I only returned to town to buy eggs and such to start a base. (Yea, I bought from /shop, because I had no idea where the player shops were!).
    My point is, I found town far too confusing to start in. I didn't understand the server setup at all. But the wild I knew.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. I love skyblock :)

But it's never a busy server anywhere. Even the server dedicated to awesome custom skyblock.

And skyblock is really only fun with customization. like reward for achievments i the form of items you can't get normaly in skyblock (villager eggs).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. as much as i would liek this, its going to drive away a larger majority of players then necessary.
  13. Why exactly is there an option to skip it in the first place? That's just basically defeating the purpose of having one. I understand people have alts and they can skip the tutorial, but it's not something I think brand new players need. With a skip option we might as well get rid of the tutorial and let them all run rampant like most other servers.
    607, Twitch1, Equinox_Boss and 2 others like this.
  14. - For people creating alts. :) who don't need to do the tutorial again.
    - And because some players like to just jump straight in and try the server without wasting 10-60 mins on a tutorial for a server they may not stay on anyway.

However, I still agree, there should be no 'skip' option at all. how hard is it to take your alt though it seriously? Besides, there's at least 13 diamonds, a diamond pick, and horse egg you can get from it.

As for the the people who are keen just to get into the server and try it out. Everything in the tutorial is important, and will let them see more of the server once through anyway. And it also quickly goes through the custom stuff we have available here, which is stuff people want to know when looking at a new server as well.

So we really should not have a 'skip' option at all. (or maybe an undocumented command you learn later. So people entering the server for the first time don't know you can skip it at all). Or bury the command in the forum wiki, so if people read it first, they can skip the tutorial and get into the game. (the wiki covers everything in the tutorial and a lot more anyway).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. Now that were doing better on the information and such, I am going to start testing no skipping / maybe even force website registration again after 1hr of playing (Which should help them find the wiki... Maybe ill even auto redirect you to wiki on first login)
  16. I would suggest maybe two or three hours instead. It allows you to get a better taste of the server.
    Equinox_Boss and NZScruffy like this.
  17. But it would only redirect on your next login right? not in the middle of your gaming. That would be annoying.

I still think directing people to the wiki using tips, and help files in-game is best way to go. Rather than forcing anything on anyone.
    Equinox_Boss and cddm95ace like this.
  18. Personally I'd Consider Veteran a person that logged in at least once a day for a certain amount of days - not really how long ago they signed up ... someone could just have joined once and never played a few years ago ... log in again and be able to claim a place on the veteran server ... where as someone that plays for 100 or more days straight i'd consider to be more of a veteran than someone that never plays
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. Or more like 'time spent online'. Not everyone logs in every day, but some spend all weekend/holidays on EMC.

I think it's been suggested already, but changing the /p to display 'time spent in EMC' in addition to the 'how long since first loging' would be good. So you can see just how much time people have spent in-game.
    trent948 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  20. Oh don't worry, I'm right with you there when it comes to site reports :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.