Misc Updates/Bug Fixes - 8/2/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Yes even I get delayed on reading Aikar's fabulous updates. For clarification, we will not be adding the number of people that have ignored you because there is no valid reason to that does not lead to negative actions. Something like an unpopularity contest, etc goes against our community values. I'm not saying it's pointless. I am saying that it is against our core beliefs of promoting community interaction.

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION (personal feelings/thoughts on a matter):
    For those complaining that /ignore is only for the duration of a month, get over it. I'm sorry, but I have never ignored a single player on EMC (except when testing) and I never see a reason to honestly. If you want to not hear a person, a month is more than enough time for that person to change their ways and realize they need to start behaving. Ignoring them doesn't fix the problem in the case of rule-breakers. Only /report will do that. Those that don't believe that need to take some time and try to help the community members that do that instead of pretending they don't exist. If I had my way, /ignore wouldn't allow you to ignore more than 5 people at a time. If more than 5 people at any time are bothering you, then you might be a bit too sensitive. A month expiration on /ignore is generous.
  2. Here's a question for Aikar: has arrow flight changed in the Fair Arenas? Arrows seem to fly much slower than they do in the normal arenas.
    607 likes this.
  3. Nope.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  4. What happened to play your way? And I am sensitive, thanks for making fun of me. :mad:

Also, I have no obligation to enforce EMC rules and shouldn't be expected to. I don't play here to police your server. Or so that you can rag on me because I utilize one of the features of the server that is basic common sense.

Edit: Generous yeah ok. It's generous that you put regulations on a feature... that makes perfect sense.
  5. Oh, alright. Thanks. Maybe it's the lack of fire playing a trick on my mind. I can't hit a barn door in Fair. :p
    For the record: I have never ignored anyone (except for people spamming me *stares at finch * :p). For some reason I seem to have a high tolerance for the people who are sort of annoying to me, but that doesn't mean everyone does.
    And when they're unignored, what if they don't learn? Players are forced to give others a second chance, which I agree with. But nobody should be forced to give a third, a fourth, and so on. I completely understand why people don't want to hear the same crap from certain people over and over. One month is a lot of time for someone to change, but not everyone does, especially if they don't see that they're doing anything wrong.
    /report actually encourages players to /ignore. I can completely see why players would want to /ignore after a /report. And Staff are very generous to players being rude to others these days. Someone said something extremely rude to me a little while ago, and that person has been muted several times for similar things (to me and to others). For some reason, I put up with it, but it's really easy to see why some people wouldn't want to.
    Helping members - spammers, griefers, and generally annoying people on a player's ignore list - is not for everyone. /ignore Player and /res pset Player move false fixes problems for a lot of people, and it's a perfectly fine way to go about it. It's not preferred, but it works. Forcing someone to engage in conversation, or even see the chat, of another player they don't want to talk to or even see is a terrible idea.
    Maybe they are being too sensitive. However, that shouldn't be up to me, you, or anyone else to decide. Frankly, some people suck, and some people don't want to hear those people. If I had one gram less patience, there'd be 10 people on my ignore list in an instant - players that cause drama, are rude, and advertise constantly.

Now I wouldn't call that being over sensitive - it'd be making my experience better and it'd make me happier. And I don't see a problem with that.
    A month expiration on /ignore is only generous because it can be extended instantly.

+1 for new ignore expiration, btw.
    +1000 to this.
    SkareCboi and B4DMAN5IMON like this.
  6. Number one, I am not attacking anyone. I'm making a broad statement about my opinion with regards to a feature.
    Fact: You are more than welcome to ignore people for extended amounts of time, but you'll have to type the command multiple times.
    Opinion: I think /ignore is counter-productive to helping the community.

Number two, /ignore is not a permanent solution and is presented as a temporary measure if someone is getting on your nerves. I'm not saying that it is your job to police the server. We don't need police. We need community members that are invested in the well-being of the community. When you /ignore someone, they don't get a message saying that you can't hear them. Therefore, they'll continue spamming in chat 'Hey PLAYER come look at this!'. Until someone tells them so or /reports them, there is no ability for that player to even know they were doing something wrong. How can we then blame that on the player who was just trying to get another player's attention? Short answer: we cannot. The moderators do a darn good job making sure that those reports are handled on a timely basis. If you don't report, we assume it's not bothering anyone.

TLDR: We are not saying that you cannot /ignore people for more than a month. I was sharing my personal OPINION with regards to a feature that I did not implement. Before you grab your pitchforks, look at it from the other side. Nothing was removed. The process was just slightly modified.
  7. This is only one scenario of nearly infinite scenarios. I have never /ignored someone without first telling them they were upsetting me which covers:they don't know they are doing anything wrong on all 41 people I had ignored.

Nearly a third of the people I ignored I ignored because they wouldn't stop messaging me so even if I didn't tell them that I ignored them, which I did, they still got a message saying that they are ignored.

Your previous comment actually did frustrate me. I will put my "pitchfork" away for the moment. Although I would probably describe it more as a thorned shield.

Edit:
    No, it isn't. It WAS
    SkareCboi and PenguinDJ like this.
  8. As far as the community goes, all communities have people that tend to spend time more with each other and others that they don't like. If I come home from my thirteenth day in a row working I don't want to hear the same 12 year old girl talking about how the boy she has a crush on won't talk to her. Even the next month I don't want to hear the same story again, and again. I want to relax and play EMC, my way, with my friends that are part of the community but not every single person that signs on to EMC. If we were supposed to be accepting of every single person then there wouldn't be anyone banned. We would also be accepting of those that love their /ignore :p
    markethan13, SkareCboi and PenguinDJ like this.
  9. Imagine an EMC where you have an amazing feature called Dragon Tombs.... I'm sure it would be great but then imagine what comes with it... all those promos you had on your wall with item frames start disappearing, all your heads are showing your old skin when you want people to see your cool new look, all your animals just dying, and a server with more lag and bugs showing up every day...

Anyway, thanks Dev Team, you guys are all awesome! Keep up the good work!
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  10. I will add an /ignorelong that will do a 6 month expiration, so if you really desire, 4 times and now its 2 years... Though I've seen some players who had a very questionable start on this server develop quite a lot in 2 years. I hope people don't feel the need to really go that long.

The reason this was changed is because MOST cases of people ignoring others are due to cases of spammers etc or a person being annoying at a point of time.

this resulted in many cases of useless ignores (wasting database space and memory, and heavier database queries to look up your player record, wasting server CPU), and then cases where the issue that triggered the ignore was a temporary problem, and now that player was ignored indef.

I wouldnt expect the majority of players to constantly check their ignore list and remove people to see if they still need ignoring, so theres not much potential for that ignore to ever be removed.

It's a design flaw of the system. "This person is constantly annoying to me and I really want this person gone" is not the majority of the uses of ignore. A player having a temporary lapse of judgement shouldn't be permanently, WITHOUT OPPORTUNITY TO REDEEM THEMSELVES, be ignored forever. An ignored player doesn't have the ability to convince you they won't do it again.... because they are ignored.. But if you see the same thing happening 1 month later, then you can make the personal judgement to ignore longer.

We have to design the system around the common case, and add secondary interfaces for the uncommon uses.

/ignorelong will support this. (2 commands vs 12 for 1 year)

11. It's much easier to accept that than, "it's good for your health"
  12. Can we add /ignoreshort for those that just want an hour/day?
    Gawadrolt and f_Builder_s like this.
  13. What the heck? Who needs that many people ignored lol?

I've literally never used the ignore feature so either way none of the updates affect me. I honestly don't even see why it's an issue. It takes maybe 2 seconds at most to type a command. I like that these updates are getting us closer to name changes though :) Lots of people going "who's kaptrix?" when they get my head:p
    DubChef and Gawadrolt like this.
  14. A lot of people like to join a server, be super annoying and never come back after a day or two. Most of the 41 was exactly that. So taking up room in the database wouldn't be warranted in those cases. Of all 41 only 3(and 2 alts) have been re-added all five times I have had it cleared out. 2 of those got me spam kicked because I know they aren't going anywhere and I really don't want to hear them next month.

EDIT: all FIVE times. meaning I really don't want to hear them, like... ever.
    georgeashington likes this.