/Map hide, /Map show for Non-Supporters?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RoamTheEarth, Nov 17, 2012.

?

Should Non-Supporters have the commands /Map hide and /Map show?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2013.
Yes. Griefers don't need that advantage 17 vote(s) 37.8%
No. Only for supporters. 29 vote(s) 64.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. You don't have to walk 2+ hours. Just about half an hour to 40 minutes. Griefers will look for bases 10-20 minutes away from spawn.
  2. But what use what that do? If a griefer checks live map and sees you 40 minutes away, he goes 'Ooh, this guy looks like he has something to hide!'
  3. Im not joking. If you are going to spend countless hours developing a wild base, put the effort into getting as far away as necessary. If you dont get far away, you will regret not spending the extra time in the end. Hell, just run 5k blocks into the nether, build a portal to get out, and walk farther out until you find a place you like. I have yet to be griefed 85k blocks out from the nearest outpost, and i turn /map hide off just to see if anyone will come. I also have diamond block statues, just for fun!:D
  4. No, these are the steps that need to be taken against possible griefing.
    Here's a tip, distance in The Nether is 8x that of the overworld, work with that.
    jkjkjk182 and SoulPunisher like this.
  5. But he won't travel that far. Griefers don't like to walk more than 20 minutes unless they are very patient - most griefers will not even attempt to walk more than 5 minutes.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  6. The harder it is to find, then, to a griefer, that clearly means the more they have to steal.
  7. But the whole point of this is is that it doesnt have to happen this often. And it doesnt matter how obvious the base is, the griefer can track you down using the live map.
  8. Not really. Griefers like to do damage to many people, causing the most havoc. 656264 people close to spawn is more appealing than 1 person way the heck out there.
    It doesnt happen often. You seem to have more griefing issues than the huge wild communities do. Are you like building in the PRA or something? They need to keep the /map hide a supporter perk. If they dont, there is a possibility that there would be no server. What would you rather see: A long lasting server with a wee bit of griefing, or slightly less griefing for a bit but the server has to close after a while? There are a huge amount of obvious bases out there that never get griefed. So why should they change something so important to the life of the server so that you can save 1 hour of walking?
  9. There is a revamp for the livemap planned for the future, which will allow players to only see within a certain range of themselves. This will take away the ability to 'track' players which are out of their view distance.
    There will also be the ability to claim land and protect it in the wild using dragon eggs, stay tuned for that update! :)
    ZBSDKryten and margaritte like this.

10. Trust me its kinda hard to hide the wild community I been part for couple of months and another one is too far for Greifers to walk to.
  11. Can't Wait!
    also, do you use dynmap?
  12. Yes i believe that is the software/plugin used. :)
  13. I tried to use that for my server and it didn't work... do you have to port forward?
  14. Don't know, you would have to ask JustinGuy/Aikar. :)
  15. Ok will do.
  16. Lets just say this, you build a base that is well hidden and 2 hours away.
    No one could find it but you.
    You are a non supporter walking to your base, a greifer happens to see you on the live map, they follow you.
    non supporters dont always have rupees to use to get locks.

If they were a supporter, they could have easily typed /map hide.
    They would most likely have rupees to get a lock or two.
  17. Thats not wasted time... Building and surviving is what Minecraft is all about. Maybe not getting Griefed but it is something you always have. whether you are a supporter or a "Well-known Member" You are going to be griefed one time. Being Griefed doesnt have anything to do with being a supporter or not. It has Mostly to do with how much you build in the open where it can be seen from the map or how close you build to spawn. What happens when you become a supporter and then get griefed? Are you going to complain and be like "Delete the wild map". The only way not to get griefed is build FAR away, or in town.
  18. I aprove of this message.
  19. then build in town if youre not willing to walk.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  20. Then greifers use map hide. And then you dont see them coming.