Let's talk about the USAF.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Marshmallow369, Apr 14, 2015.

1. You made a thread on a public forum, with a topic relevant to me. I come from an Air Force family myself.
    Besides which,
    You asked the question. I am not trying to be impolite, and I am not "following you," but yes, I did have to bring that up as I find it highly relevant. There is no call for the blatant hostility and rudeness, and your vehement reaction here is only further driving my point home.
    "Is it a good route?" - The USAF in general, I'd say yes. JTAC in particular, a resounding no. You are very emotional and seem prone to making snap judgements, which in my opinion has the potential for creating bad situations, or making bad ones even worse.
    samsimx, mba2012, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brother in law was in the air force for a long time. Was a colonel. They paid for a lot of education for him and he retired young to a large pension.
  3. Personally I'm a pacifist and would never get involved with any military force of any sort, but I have no issue with you doing this.

Although that said, I sort of have a fantasy about recruiting volunteers and crowd-funding to buy guns, equipment, etc., and going to Syria and Iraq and kicking the ass of the Islamic State. Which is justified from a pacifist point of view, because in doing that I'll prevent the deaths of more people.

I'd nearly do it, because you always hear about radicalised jihadist fundamentalists going over there to fight for the Islamic State, or people going to fight with the Syrian rebels, but you never hear about yellow-blooded supporters of liberal democracy and secularism going out and tearing ISIS a new one.

If only there wasn't the risk of death or serious injury....
    jkjkjk182 and FDNY21 like this.
  4. That's the recruiting pitch 72volt, by creating an evil force, going around and killing people that you don't know seems justified. The truth is those people exist because the violence continues to get perpetrated. Ironically, many atrocities have been committed in the name of liberal democracy AND secularism but our Hollywood machine would have you believe that only the anti-thesis to such is the culprit. No matter, perpetuating violence in the name of revenge will only result in more violence and extremists, whether they be religious fanatics, imperial fanatics or anti religious fanatics or anti imperialist fanatics.
    georgeashington and 607 like this.
  5. there are natives in those countries/states doing just that
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  6. Is lashing out like this really a responsible reaction? You want to join the air force, which I respect and is a good thing, but reacting like that may not be entirely accepted in the armed forces. I do not mean any offence by this, just in case you are.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  7. He's got a point, honestly. Personally, I don't think that getting involved has ever, or will ever improve the situation (short of completely wiping out everyone, which is not a move I would advocate). Enough "evil" has been done on both sides, over the millennia. However, the action the US has taken so far is reactive or punitive - our military isn't planting IEDs in the roads, conscripting suicide bombers to blow up innocent bystanders, or broadcasting footage of hostages being executed. Evil may be a matter of perspective, but there are some lines you can point to and say "Now you've crossed it."

Then again, I'm thinking you'd prefer we turn our weapons on California. Seems like every srs-bsns post you make is "blame Hollywood." :rolleyes:

(edited for clarity)
  8. I don't blame hollywood for everything, thats where the propaganda goes to be produced. How many of those IED's have killed soldiers? Take that number turn around and look at how many of our soldiers have killed people in those same countries just in the past 14 years. It's tens of thousands versus millions. Western soldiers(not just US soldiers) have killed MILLIONS of people in those countries and lost next to no lives when compared side by side. However, we are supposedly doing good over there and these videos that we see coming out of(hold on you will like this) hollywood with scripted "beheadings" in front of green screens are more than justification. When the Al Queda was the scapegoat at least they were showing real beheadings happening. Not that that is something that should be seen in a positive light but it was something that ACTUALLY happened. Whether the videos were made by western psy ops or religious fanatics.
  9. Well, playing to many video games, and having been in a war situation, I know how hard it is. I feel for you Bitemenow15. It isn't easy. Everything happens so fast, and exciting almost. I think that especially in the Air Force, you would have to be able to think on your feet, or plane, you also need to be able to adapt to the situation. I have experienced this, and rather would like not to bring back memories. I think it could also be a rewarding experience. You could get a feel for what some people experience everday.
  10. You are correct, I do not know any ISIS militants personally. But I do know they have committed unspeakable atrocities against humanity, and unless they are countered, shall continue.

Of course my pipe dream has a context. I acknowledge it is an inefficient way of countering the Islamic State. I believe the best way to counter war is to place complete global sanctions on all arms, except non-lethal arms intended for use in detaining criminals, justified self-defense and ethical hunting. The US has a very strong and thus toxic culture where they believe people have a right to guns. No. We do not have that in Europe. Or anywhere else, for that matter. It is a US cultural phenomenon, not a political reality.

My brand of liberal democracy differs somewhat from the likes of the Liberal Democrats in the UK, the Democratic Party in the US, and others. I would view it as closest to Podemos and the various Green Parties (except Northern Ireland, my home country, where I am a member of the Alliance Party). I'm a world federalist too.
    mba2012 likes this.
  11. One of the biggest things to keep in mind is that only about 20% of the air force is pilots. Most people in there work in communications, engineering, smart people stuff, etc.
  12. wait what about me?
    Chief_McCloud likes this.
  13. Well, to answer your intended comment. Very very few TACP get spec ops assignments. You will train as infantry, be assigned to infantry units to live, train and fight beside them. About 5% of all TACP get assigned spec ops assignments and those are usually the top of their class and highly experienced.

The best bit of advice that I can offer up is this:

Think about what you want to do AFTER the military. You are enlisting for just a small part of your life. The military will not take care of you after you are out of it's service, like any other employer or college. If you are deadset on joining, use them as much as they use you. Get the training out of it for something that you want to do AFTER your contract expires. If the job you are looking at enlisting in teaches you how to fight and nothing more, keep looking. If it offers you training that you can use as a civilian, potentially as college credits, the do it.

Look at earning a degree while enlisted, or getting as close to one as possible. Get as many certifications and training opportunities as you can. Once your contract is up, do NOT be left at square one again. I have seen it too many times. People don't automatically hire you because you were military. Vets are the #2 classification of people on welfare and foodstamps in the US, just barely behind Walmart employees.
    Kephras and Chief_McCloud like this.
  14. I know what you've been through. You said you were a marine, correct?
    I also have to say things like this probably should not be talked about on the forums. I just like to get away on minecraft.
  15. My grandpa was a master Sargent in the air force from 1955 to 1977, 22 years. One of his main jobs he had was working on the GAM-72 "Quail" missile. The missile was designed to give a false radar signature of a larger B-52. His other job was delivering top secret documents, plans, and maps around the country to other air bases. My grandpa always keeps telling me about his times in the air force and all the good times he had. His only struggle was moving from place to place, typical of military families. My dad told me that he never really kept close friendships because he knew that they'd only be there for a couple of years before moving to the next base. All in all, it depends what you want to do in the air force, my grandpa loved being in the air force, serving his country, meeting new people. For one to join the service in general shows that they have a lot of courage inside to be away from family for extended time, and it also shows the true American spirit.
    My grandpa's only regret was not meeting back up with a pal he hadn't seen since he left Offutt Air force Base, when he retired in 1977. A few weeks ago he passed out at a restaurant from dehydration and when he was at the hospital, he was walking down the hallway and passed his old pal who called out to him from his room and asked him "Sam, what do you think you're doing inside of a hospital". "It was like seeing a brother", is how my grandpa described it.

I give you my full support to joining the USAF. I too have thought of joining the Air Force, either as Tactical Aircraft maintenance or Aerospace Maintenance. I hope you have a great time in the USAF and return home safely. Serve your country well my friend. "Aim High... Fly-Fight-Win"
    Luckygreenbird likes this.
  16. I mean people with flying experience. My uncle who was in the air force told me that while most people do not actuvely fly, about 1/5 of everyone at least know how to operate basic vehicles.

Then again, that was a while ago.
  17. Ok my boyfriend in the Air Force and he's training to be a pararescue men and I think that it's a good job in the Air Force and I think choicing to go into the Air Force is great any military branch is great but ya I support my boyfriend and his dission to be in the military and I couldn't be anymore happy for him then I am now he's the best and I say go for it it'll be worth in the end, totally worth it and it's always great to serve your country