Lack of respect for others... Griefing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Twitch1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I enjoy the wild as much as any, but I dont build anything out there that could be griefed. I dont know what this is, but on a server I belonged to a while ago they were abled to protect certain areas of the map (like the towns) in the wild as well?
  2. I've read this thread, and we know that town griefing can only happen if you give the build flag, so the griefing main concern seems to be out in the wild.

I've read the server rules and it says no PvP and no Griefing, but as someone made a point that some people seem to think out in the wild the griefing/PvP rules do not apply; I am not saying they shouldn't. And someone also made a point that you'd be naive to build something of grand scale in the wild and expect it to not be griefed and I have to partially agree/disagree.

I disagree on the basis of the server rules, I expect my outpost/base/whatever in the wild to be left alone what you do OUTSIDE of my outpost, I don't care as long as I can still get in and out of my outpost safely (don't make a 1,000 block drop in front of my doorstep is more like it). As for cave griefing, one of the mods here made it a point; how do you NOT run into someone else's cave/tunnel/whatever? Or realize you're chopping down some else's tree house? Simple solution:

A) make it obviously clear the area is YOURS (use signs in obvious places) B) if you don't mark it, then its free for all IMO (of course if I see something I think that belongs to somebody I will leave it alone as much as possible without too much damage to their cave, dig, whatever).

B) revamp the PvP/Griefing rules to only pertain to structures built in the wild, anything else is just is and cannot be defined as griefable. As for the PvP rules, I'd keep it in place; but what if you have a friend (that you ultimately trust) and want to spar? (you obviously need to have mutual agreement, you can't just run up to them and start swatting your diamond sword at them).

C) if the wild is truly a free for all, then the server rules should be revamped to exclude the wild from griefing and anything goes even if there is a sign posted.

Bottom line, IMHO the server rules need to be more specific when it comes to griefing in the wild; what is considered griefed and what is not; that is a definite need for clarification if any.
  3. I have to agree with what Bradleycrowie says about the greifers, if you just get the screenshot and report them then they get banned and no more problems. Going crazy and yelling at them in chat just makes them laugh and want to mess with you more. Hiding your stuff from them or building it way out in the wilderness are some options to try to protect your stuff. I for one am thinking of trying to set up some 'traps' for greifers to see if I can reduce how many we have on here. Bad thing is that many greifers seem to have multiple accounts so that they can continue to have their fun. Is there any sort of /lookup on this server that can be used to decide if someone should be allowed to remain on the server? If they have more than a few bans on MCBans for greifing and the like then they get banned on EMC??
  4. I'm curious though, every account costs 1 license from Mojang, without it you can't play AFAIK? $30 for a license just to grief sounds like a lot; I only have one license but I wished I had gotten more since Alpha and I have yet to see a sale/special once in awhile.

Anyway it would be nice to see players get rid of griefers in droves and then we can all thank you for it :).
  5. I'm the worst griefer ever! :D One day, I was walking along in the dark, and mobs were spawning everywhere. I saw a chest and a small hut without a door. I looked in the chest and saw some coal and sticks and took them to make torches. When the morning came, I thought I could use the torches another time, so I left a sign on the hut "Took 32 coal and some sticks, Will compensate if needed -- Jackomighty" :)
  6. I don't see a problem with that, I can't hardly call that griefing; at least you made the effort to let them know you took something and would replace if they wanted it back. But since it was an unmarked chest/hut; I don't know about the server rules currently but I would say the rules say you griefed but I think most of us would agree you didn't so I think the rules should be expanded for that purpose.
  7. I have another suggestion/idea bout respect issues:

use a demerit system (I mentioned this in another thread) but more specifically for griefers:

use the kicks and bans as usual; but maybe something can be configured to give demerits to people who grief intentionally; like automatically send them a creeper anytime they get too close to a marked structure (or a structure in progress) and do 10x the explosion :p

Or if they set you on fire, make it impossible for them to use fire/lava buckets or even use torches, etc.