Lack of respect for others... Griefing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Twitch1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Grief'ing and PVP'ing are only being addressed after the fact and staff have to rely on mostly young kids' ability to react to griefing situations with the presence of mind to document them with screenshots.

If I could hide myself from the Live Map like I understand Supporters and Staff can, I would think putting various decoy structures up and monitoring them would do some good. Knowing another player could be watching and pop in on you at anytime and get you banned couldn't hurt in discouraging this.

Same for PVP'ing. Wander aimlessly or mine anywhere within ten minutes walk of the spawn point and you're eventually going to get a bucket of lava in your face or chased with flint and steel. Especially late at night and weekends. If it got around that that guy building a mud hut and garden just outside the spawn point kept putting people in perma-ban heaven, more of them would think about maybe picking up a shovel or pick and making an honest living.

I've only been here a month and already have experienced one of each of these types of incidents in just this past week. I also have two ban-notches on my gun. Approach me in the wild or in town for that matter, and I'll share my mining area, my food, tools, whatever. But don't expect that I'm not taking screen shots and monitoring you on Live Map just in case you get ideas.

Entrapment? More like putting a tray of vinegar out in your garden to drown slugs. These guys are pests. They're not very smart or they'd be mining and building like the majority of us. I have more compassion (in game) for creepers than I do these human slugs.
    BloodDisciple likes this.
  2. About the performance problem with logging:

It is quite cheap to send a UDP packet so some logging server. On the logging server's side performance would not be a real issue as it may drop up to 90% of its packets and still be effective. And I'd think one of the boxes would have some free IO power to run it.

@JustinGuy: Is there any interest on your side? If yes, I'd start implementing...
  3. Griefing is like Piracy...it will never stop....
    imBobertRobert, zSlumDog and sagem4tt like this.
  4. What you describe doesn't even approach the legal definition of entrapment, and you are under no obligation to even abide by the strict legal definition. Neither is the staff, for that matter.

(From Wikipedia:)
    Entrapment holds if all three conditions are fulfilled:
    1. The idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime.
    2. Government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. Simply giving someone the opportunity to commit a crime is not the same as persuading them to commit that crime.
    3. The person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before interaction with the government agents.
  5. It goes beyond the technical requirements for something like log block. It is more the state of mind of the community. If you use the Empire the way it was designed you can not be griefed. If we place log block, it is telling everyone you don't have to protect yourself, instead go out an build a diamond hut in-front of the spawn and then when it gets griefed just scream for moderators until you get it reset. I have seen many servers like this and it is not what we are, nor what I want. We take the opposite approach in EMC allowing for a "vanilla" game with a protected Town system, that is all self service.

Even more difficulties how do you define grief in the Wilderness? What if you place some things in a chest in a dungeon? Is that grief if someone takes them? What if you build a tree house, and someone doesn't see a house is above it (a huge jungle tree) and you start chopping it down for wood? What if you are mining and accidentally cross someone elses mine? It would become a logistical nightmare to try and handle all of this.

Edit: I also PROMISE you no matter how many mods we had and how advanced of logs, people would still find ways to grief. That is MC. And if you want a server that has "policing" mods to respond to all of that there are plenty :)
  6. Having had a couple of things griefed in my time here it did make me mildly annoyed and certainly made me give up thinking about building anything "permanent" in the wild.

The way I see the wild now is just that, Wild. I treat it more like a workplace. I get in mine until my tools break and then leg it back to the closest spawn point to take my hard earned stuff back.

The thing that annoys me about what happened here (as with most griefing) is that it's lazy as well as destructive. There is a whole world to mine, why take someone's "premined" stuff.

I think that the current system of screenshots and reporting works ok if there is a reasonable amount of people doing the right thing but I have seen a few witch hunts on the forums as well.
  7. The other possible method is to build in a way that looks like a natural element of the land rather than an obvious location... Just ensure you can find a way back haha.

I have a secret base in the wilderness that has yet to be discovered because I built it under this principle.
    Dig into dirt far from spawn and zig-zag your path to hide light and then dig underground to a reasonable distance and establish a safe haven. Cave living. ;)
  8. True....true...
  9. This was lazy. Most greifers would take time to make it look like "Hey? Didnt i have a house here?" But no, this guy just wanted to make a public eyesore, no sign saying "Youve been trolled" And no politeness. There is a very tiny degree of respect for those greifers, but this guy isnt one of them, so he is just a jerk. :p
  10. I see that Edmund. While I was writing I was picturing myself actually doing it to see if anyone took the bait. Made me feel guilty for a second(but no longer than that).
  11. You should see the griefing on smp6... Just imagine an army of creepers coming and blowing everything up and that's what it is like...
  12. The honeytrap idea has been discussed before, and whilst it could work, it's manpower intensive.

The concept I was playing around with was to use a combination of Live Map, Macros and FRAPS to capture activity around a structure.

It would allow your character to be left unattended in a covert setup with eyes on the target and a combination of recording both on-screen and Live Map to ascertain who was in the vicinity of the structure (Non-Supporters only due to lack of /map hide).

Whilst not conclusive, it would certainly give an indicator as to suspect persons should something be griefed. (Definition of grief in this case is wanton destruction of a signposted and owner-labeled structure)

Ultimately though, if you want to build in the Wild, the safest way to do it is to go several hundred thousand blocks out into the Wild. I personally think that anyone building less than 50,000 from a Spawn is in a high-risk situation.
  13. I'm sorry your structure got smashed Twitch. SMP7 has a horrible looking spot out one of the sides. Some players nicknamed it the "bomb site" last night Havockstorm brought me out there to see the giant magnificent bridge he built so people could get across the bomb site. Can't tell if it's been griefed but I hope it stays.

Another thing I wish people had respect for was each other. I will gladly help someone out if they need it but I just ended up having someone ask me for food and I gave food. They said they wanted to show me something so he takes me way out from spawn point to this huge castle, takes me to the topmost floor where he tells me to look out a window for something then chops the block from under me which kills me and makes me drop everything. He tried to saw we were attacked and we both died yet on live map he was still there after I re-spawned at home. All he got was stone equips, apples and dirt but still I would gladly have given him the stuff if needed and asked.
  14. Poor Outpost ):
  15. I saw that beautiful bridge. A big improvement on my little one-laner.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  16. This has happened to me a few times and I am proud to say I got screen shots of the guy. He is now gone and I am more than happy to do it again to anyone that I find griefing, trying to pvp, or looking like they may be x-raying. By looking like they are xraying I mean that they are moving around looking at their feet the whole time. Now if there are other people around they could be looking for their names, but that is when you have to use common sense. F2 is my friend and I am very fast to use it and will then shortly send the freshly acquired pictures to an admin for review and then punishment if it is warranted. In that regard I will apologize now just in case I become a pain to any of the admins.

Rant over for now.
  17. You can send your screenshot evidence to any staff, including senior staff and moderators and we are well-equipped to deal with the evidence and mete out appropriate punishments. And we all appreciate your efforts. It isn't necessary to burden the admin with it though, although I'm sure they enjoy getting rid of griefers as much as we do.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  18. Ahh I tend to group mods, senior mods, and admins into one group...I should have said I will send the info to the senior mods and mods unless it is something really nasty in which case I will also include the admins...sorry for the mistype there
  19. I don't endorse greifing, however building something of any kind of value in the wilderness and expecting everybody to respect it is either very naive or very stupid. The wilderness is a free-for-all when it comes to block breaking and placing, therefore many people consider it to be an area where "griefing" is allowed (it ultimately depends on your definition of grief). The only way to stop griefing in the wilderness would be to implement some kind of block build/break rights system, thus defeating the purpose of the wilderness.
    My next point is not directed at you, Twitch or this thread in particular but I have seen a lot of people freaking out and going ape-sh*t either in the chat or in the forums because of griefing. You have to understand that this is the reason people grief, your reaction is their payment. Don't give them the satisfaction of seeing it get to you, just calmly report the user or ignore them and they will eventually get bored and move on.
    I guess my main points are:
    -If you don't want your stuff to be griefed, don't put it in a place where people can grief it.
    -Don't feed the trolls (You should all know that one!)
    oidking likes this.