Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MR2R2M, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I see THIS didn't last long.
  2. I am never going to waste my money or time on this Kony 2012 project.
    They abuse the term charity organization to further their film making aspirations.
    They found a good thing to exploit for personal gain when they went to Uganda in 2005.
    If you look into this further, Kony was exiled in 2006. You are blindly supporting this organization without looking at the full facts.
    I am against this particular "charity" read late to the party documentary film makers...

I do not wish to discuss this further.. I honestly wanted to delete this thread when I saw it, as it sparks a negative emotion in me when I see this.

No one gives a damn about world problems until the almighty Facebook and YouTube bring it to their attention.

How about doing something to stop hunger, homelessness, poverty, or even government corruption IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD!!

The only thing different occurring here is that people can be arm chair activists. All they need to do to invoke some pride in themselves is pull out the debit card and send money to the newest fad charity that springs up.

Why not go down to your local homeless shelter and serve food to the men, women and children who come in hungry and homeless?
    Go to your local shelter and help feed and groom shelter animals...
    Go join the local Big Brother/Big Sister foundation in your neighborhood.
    Go volunteer at a local hospital.

Do something that requires your actual physical and emotional involvement rather than a 2 minute copy/paste session.

The young boys and girls in Honduras whom we cared for at our 1-228th Aviation Regiment Children's Home required us to go and visit with these kids and spend 1 on 1 time with them. We didn't just blindly swipe our credit card and forget about them... We went there, spent time with them, created happy memories for them and helped them to forget their loneliness for a while by being there with them in person.

Just try to put things into perspective before you go shouting from the roof tops about your "social responsibility" and how you are above others because you jumped on the bandwagon...
    cnquast, nab27, PiggzCanFly and 10 others like this.
  3. I agree with Twitch1 on this one :) It's better to be active. Getting to know someone, giving them a smile, helping them out in person.. Those are the things that those in need will remember. Not the people who have the money to help a charity, but no sense on how to use it right. That's why this year I'm volunteering as a mentor to Maori and Pasifika students at my university, and am going to volunteer at the local Refugee homework centre. I know they aren't big things, but they are in my hometown, and I want to help out where I can :)

4. (Overjoyed Toast)
    +10 respect to you. :D
    ISMOOCH and hayleycolgan like this.
  5. Thanks Twitch :)
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  6. You are welcome.
    Also, as I told EdmundWayne, whenever I see you have posted something, I am excited to read it. I know you have something of value and interest to say. :)
    ISMOOCH and hayleycolgan like this.
  7. Really?! Well, now you're gonna make me blush! I'm just saying what comes to mind xD
    Twitch1 and ISMOOCH like this.
  8. i agree with twitch's post mostly, but donating to charity is still worthwhile. not everyone is in a position to help out in a practical way. I can't cure cancer, but I can buy a daffodil to help enable those that can. I know my contribution is pitiful and in the grand scheme of things is very insignificant, but if everyone was discouraged by this the cancer council would have close up shop.

That said, I certainly don't claim to be an activist or anything of the sort, and I think that's what twitch was getting at? It would discredit those that are in the trenches spending all their time to make what they believe in actually come to pass.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  9. I can do what eva the hell I want with my money, why even argue all these points, just let me donate to something I see fit, you can all shove it.
  10. Yes you can.

We are arguing all these points because in your original post you said things like "let's all make it our mission" and asking us to donate and spread it around the internet.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  11. "lets all" meaning those who are wanting to do something! If you have negative views on this, DONT GO POSTING THEM IN HERE. keep them to yourself and get on with your own lives, you all who are against this are the ones that started the argument, so dont go saying its my fault, you could have chosen to post in here or not. Twitch you wasted your time mate, your post is not going to influence me one bit. I can do what eva I want, I can help what ever organization I WANT. What you want to do is your choice, not mine, and your beliefs on organizations are your choice not mine, so what I WANT TO DO is my choice, dont go telling me what I should and shouldnt do.

:mad::mad::mad:
  12. Oh, I definitely agree with you there apamment. I'd be a hypocrite to say that I don't agree that donating to charity isn't still worthwhile. I donate to the foundation for the blind (as my mum is blind), and I'm always willing to buy a daffodil and a pink ribbon. Your contribution is definitely not insignificant either!
    I think this subject is just too.. cloudy.. to say that someone is right or wrong for what they are doing. There is nothing wrong for what MR2R2M is doing, by donating his money to a cause he sees fit. It's something a lot of people wouldn't do, which I applaud him for. I think the people who are at fault though are the charities themselves. There is a charity in NZ called World Vision (which is probably in most countries) who wish to help out starving children etc in Africa. Now, that is fine.. But the money that gets donated doesn't all go to the children. It goes on salaries, flashy television adverts, lolly machines (we have 6 at my work), billboards, etc. The Vice-President (I think) of World Vision is sitting on a $300,000 base salary alone.. and there is a lot of people in that "not-for-profit" organisation. That is why I don't agree with this Kony project. It's fair enough to want to stop this guy.. but there is so much else going on the world that's just getting forgotten because there isn't someone with a lot of money in their pocket to fight for that cause.
    Twitch1 and ISMOOCH like this.
  13. Something tells me this will get deleted soon. Twitch, please deleted this before a full on war starts..
    Squizzel_Boy and hayleycolgan like this.
  14. No just delete all the comments, and those who wish to comment, dont go on criticising what I WANT TO DO!
  15. I can't speak for others, but my arguments where not aimed at you personally. You're helping out a cause you believe in, and that's great.

I do think it's important to have debate and arguments for other people to come to their own conclusions and the best way to do that is to weigh all the information, the pros and cons.
  16. This thread was not started with the idea of creating a debate. I would have titled it "Debate on Kony 2012" or something to that effect.

Yea sure, your comments weren't but Twitch, dont go telling me what I should and shouldnt do outside of EMC. I can do what eva the hell I want outside of EMC. Sure you can tell me what I can and cant do within EMC but not out.

I chose to support an organisation, leave that be, if you do not agree with it, keep it to yourself and get out.
  17. Then maybe you should take a chill pill.
  18. Again, I ask you to not get hostile and attack others...

Nobody is saying what you can or can't do with your money. The points were actually brought up to give you a possible warning about something that might not be 100% what you thought you were donating too. Nobody was calling you bad for doing it, just trying to inform.
  19. Your first post looked like a recruitment drive. If you say it wasn't then I guess it wasn't. Sorry.

If you're just telling us about the things you're doing, maybe it would be better to post on a status page or start a blog. I think it's a bit unreasonable to post on a discussion board and get mad at people discussing it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.