Justin, are you ok?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by vividOptimism, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Tell your dad from me as a student studying the effects of negative media on the brain (who also happens to be the son of a well-respected trauma psychologist) to look at the facts. Now, there IS evidence that playing violent videogames does sometimes increase aggressive tendencies in certain types of people. On the other hand, to quote a USA Today article:

"If you're worried about a video game turning your son or daughter into a killer, don't worry about that," says psychologist Patrick Markey of Villanova (Pa.) University.

Stop worrying. Seriously. There are MUCH bigger things to worry about when it comes to violent tendencies. The same article goes on to say that some studies conclude that relaxing videogames can in fact make people "happier and kinder", along with mentioning that it appears that it's not the violence in the games, but the competition that seems to effect some people negatively. And as with almost anything, my best advice is this: everything in moderation.

Video games and TV rot your brain. It's true, unfortunately. Playing or watching for long periods of time causes an increase in ADD-like symptoms. On the other hand, short periods of time with other stuff in between is just fine :)

Ask your dad to look at studies that have been done and consider the science, not just the urban legends :)
  2. I like this idea... because it gets guns out of the hands of the people who cause all the problems. Even if there are the same number of legal guns around, the gun-crime rate would likely drop significantly with better illegal gun control.

Also, not that I disagree that you're perhaps in a better position to judge the situation, but the phrase "neutral observer" is a bit... misleading. You, like all of us, are biased. I don't know anything about gun laws or crime in Australia, but I'd assume that the situation is a bit more controlled there than it is in the US. This would naturally bias anyone towards the system that works "better".

Final thoughts on this thread:
    In response to Jeremy's post: The vast majority of gun crimes in the US do not involve innocent bystanders or innocent families, etc etc etc. The recent shooting is a perfect example of an extremely rare event. We hear about the events involving innocent people because they're news; i.e. because they don't happen every day, and because they particularly strike a chord with us as humans. NOT because they're common. Now, I think you're totally right that people who want guns for nefarious purposes will find ways to get them no matter what. But my simple answer to that problem is the same as AusQB's: control guns. Don't necessarily outlaw them, just crack down on the illegal ones. The perceived need for legal guns will shrink along with the number of illegal guns.

There, I've said my opinion. Take it or leave it :) And just remember that there are bigger problems to worry about:

Chance of dying by handgun homicide in the US: about 0.004%, or 1 in 50,000 (which seems, at my best guess, to be just about the number of people you will ever meet in your lifetime)

Chance of dying of heart disease in the US: close to .19%, or 40x higher.

Chance of dying of cancer in the US: around .18%, again, close to 40x higher.

Remember what really matters. Don't get caught up in the circus of panic. Just because something is terrible and sad, doesn't mean it's worth worrying about more than something less... graphic I guess.
    MR2R2M, nmanley and Terminator908 like this.
  3. wow... my posts get long when I'm tired. sorry guys!
    mba2012 likes this.
  4. I know, I was reluctant to use that term myself, but I guess what I really should have said is an external observer.

I have no allusions that Australia is completely gun free, but the situation is far better here.
    MR2R2M, JabrZer0 and mba2012 like this.
  5. Just count yourself lucky as AUS did not have as many criminals sent to it as the US back in the day! :p

I'm a gun owner and have used them for protection before. Much better to be here to raise my grandson than be dead! ;)

Someone responsible enough to take action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpv6dJZhg0U&feature=related
  6. More than three times the number of convicts were sent to Australia compared to America, about 165,000.
    mba2012, nmanley and MR2R2M like this.
  7. Yea gosh, thats why us New Zealanders say if you want to study criminology, go to Australia, they are experts :p
    jk
    will_iamd, mba2012 and nmanley like this.
  8. Obviously it was a small caliber gun used in that video. Shotguns usually work much better in an urban environment. Not too many run far with buckshot in them. One thing about a home invasion, the home owner should have the advantage as he knows the home and lighting shadow issues involved. It only takes a few seconds to determine if deadly force is needed.... usually.

I have no respect for anyone trying to steel from another as getting off one butt and applying themselves will usually lead to someone finding value in them and allowing them to earn their keep.

I think I should have said is AUS does not Currently have as many criminals as the USA. :D
  9. Would youse like a debate thread?
  10. Yeah, I own a katana & the only rifle LEGAL in britain. I take them out with me rabbit hunting and moose and deer hunting, something I only do once a month or once every 6 months due to travel expenses. If I have to travel to Alaska on a hunting weekend, i'll have to wait 6 months because of travel expenses. If its in Devon or somewhere closer to home I can do it once a week on weekends :p I don't use them in a harmful way. The Katana is to finish the kill humanely if my shot fails. I don't use them to kill or shoot people!
    mba2012 and nab27 like this.
  11. Alright, i was just worried that it was getting off topic.
  12. I didn't mean to imply that you aren't 100% correct. Generally speaking, people are supposed to stay on topic in a thread. People are understandably shaken up a little after these types of events, though.
  13. If I had a gun, I wouldn't be out here blasting people like an idiot. My dad taught me around 10 how to use and fire a gun, I also used to target practice in 4-H. I'd go about the right way and get it, store it and whatnot. My reasoning is being stuck alone while the husband is at work. I have always hated being alone, we live somewhat in the sticks, and I'm a very paranoid person thanks to things that have happened in life. I think people have the right to own a gun so that they can protect their property and their families. If someone is trying to break into my house I'd like some way to protect myself.
  14. If I lived in Australia, I think I'd be scared 24/7 of all the venemous critters crawling, hopping, flying, jumping, running, and swimming around. Guns are useless against most of those critters, I would think. Maybe here in the States since we don't have to grow up dodging all of those biological dangers all the time, we aren't conditioned to be quite so fearless. That's why there's no American equivalent of Steve Irwin. I guess instead of walking through the outback dodging stingers, pincers, teeth, and fangs, we cower in our homes surrounded by our guns or something like that.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. Haha, lol. If you lived in Africa, it would be worse. They all have sorts of poisonous snakes, spiders and crawlers over there! And Malaria likes the hot, and so do Mosquitos. Their food and water is also contaminated with viruses, bacteria and parasites. I would hate to live in that continent.
  16. Especially South Africa, which has the worst gun-related crime rate in the world.
  17. Uh-huh. That's the more 'rich' part of Africa. It's sunny, hot enough to be relaxing but not hot enough for malaria in most parts, then there's hardly any poverty. But with no real government, they manage to get ahold of guns and shoot people.
  18. It is not that scary. You rarely ever see one of those critters. We have one of the worlds most poisonous spiders in the world and it does not scare me. Though as you said we have developed the ability to be fearless against those animals. Even though I have a phobia of death it does not scare me as much as a gunshot would. I don't think this most makes any sense.
  19. That rain is from the warm air coming down from the Gulf and Caribbean, meeting the cool air that comes from the Atlantic. We get it nearly every day in the summer here.