Is the death penalty effective?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jtc0999, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Is the death penalty effective?

Yes 40 vote(s) 58.0%
No 29 vote(s) 42.0%
  1. Oh and one thing (I apologize if anyone finds this disrespectful to their opinion), people who say they don't want anyone to be killed because of morals, this means someone can brutally murder upwards of 10 people and then live off of innocent citizens (and the victims family's) money for the rest of their natural born life.... Kill and be killed I guess.
  2. No Comment.
    creepincreepers7 likes this.
  3. Comments "No Comment."
    Unleashes paradox
  4. Exactly what I always think of when someone says that.
    mba2012 likes this.
  5. Jtc that's harsh man, you contradict yourself a little bit. I agree with Hylian, seeing you on the forums a bit and how you support religion, but yet you think we should torture people? I won't go deeper into on my view here, as I don't want to get this closed(even though it probably will be soon anyway).

Do you know where I could find/read it?
    HylianNinja, NINJATTILA and mba2012 like this.
  6. I don't get it?

Edit: Oh wait got it.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. It really depends on the incident.
  8. That's what they all say ;)
  9. torture is the act of physicaly hurting someone for a long period of time. hanging someone is not torturing someone: They die once that lever is pulled (or whatever method of hanging your using). Like i said, I forgive murders and rapesits, but they need to be punished for their crimes.
  10. In the United States of America it cost a lot more to put someone to death than life in prison. If cost really was the issue we would never put anyone to death. Look it up, with all the appeals and extra legal hoops, it would be cheaper and often easier on families/ victims to seek life.

The purpose of putting people to death is to discourage others from those types of criminal behavior. I don't know if it works, I think people who kill people don't take much effort to think about the punishment.

As a Chistian, I believe in forgiveness, but it is perfectly valid for me to forgive a criminal while making sure the state enforces justice, in prision or by death is not for me to deceide if i were a victim. I pitty criminals who have ruined their life and the lives of others in ways that they can never undo, but that doesn't me I want them to not be punished.
    NINJATTILA, mba2012 and jtc0999 like this.
  11. Alright, here's the answer we're all looking for.
    1. Any (male) murderer should be castrated with no anesthesia.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.
  12. *Looks down*
    *Shivers*
    If that was a punishment... I'd never do anything against the law :oops:(Not that I plan to because it isn't)
    That does however violate the 8th Amendment, no cruel or unusual punishment.
    mba2012 likes this.
  13. No, it isn't. It actually costs more to kill a man then to house a prisoner because you have to be ultra, super sure that they're the right guy, nobody wants killing an innocent man on their conciense, hence the expense is significantly higher.
    NINJATTILA likes this.
  14. didnt work on jesus
    creepincreepers7 likes this.
  15. Oh, hesblah, everyone knows those amendments things aren't ACTUALLY real!!! /sarcasm
    The can of worms has been opened....
    jkjkjk182 and creepincreepers7 like this.
  16. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  17. Almost any comic book store or the internet. I will warn you that it is the most disturbing comic book I have ever read.
  18. Perhaps the original thesis question needs to be more clearly defined. Something I notice in a lot of these posts is opimions regarding whether killing someone who's been convicted of a crime is acceptable or not.

The way I interpreted the thesis was whether the death penalty actually STOPS people from commiting crimes. My answer to that is mainly no. I'm not entirely convinced that the threat of punishment is a good deterrent at all for that matter. It will stop most people, but others either don't think of punishment while in the heat of the moment, don't care, or don't think they'll get caught.

In the US, our jails are so full we have early release programs. In those states with the death penalty, convicts wait for years for execution. Sure we could speed it up, but that doesn't change the fact that every single one of them knew exactly what the punushment for what they did could be but did it anyway.

One other thing I think is important to consider is the growing number of cases where a convict has been proven to be innocent by forensic evidence that was processed by new technology AFTER their convictions. Sometimes after it's too late.

I've been on some juries and I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be on trial in front of one. Before voting in the last criminal case I served on, the judge instructed us clearly on the law. I voted guilty using those instructions. Since the vote wasn't unanimous, we discussed our decisions and you wouldn't believe what these people were thinking. The dude was guilty of car theft as he could be, but these people were voting guilty because he was caught at a crack house and some of them wanted him off the street for that. Good gawd...

The death penalty certainly rids our society permanently of unwanted criminals, but in my view, it's like throwing the baby out with the bath water. But it's not a deterrent. Our prison populations are proof of that. I'm not sure there is an answer in regard to deterring the kinds of crimes that the death penalty is supposed to address.

Think of what would happens when you are hung. Your spinal cord is snapped from your own weight. So you are totally conscious while you have no possibility of breathing another breath. You would have your senses: eyes and ears, and thoughts for the time it took you to suffocate. It doesn't seem like the quick and painless death you suggest above.
  19. Is it effective? I read this as; when the death penalty is executed- does it always kill them. And I sure hope it is effective in that sense, otherwise I would see it as torture. :p