Is the death penalty effective?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jtc0999, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Is the death penalty effective?

Yes 40 vote(s) 58.0%
No 29 vote(s) 42.0%
  1. That's how some of the malaria gets spread around. Not all of it.
  2. Nope. Cutting off your spinal cord and your trachea by hanging doesn't kill you directly. You die of asphyxiation. Lack of blood supply and oxygen to your brain kills you. It takes about three minutes for lack of oxygen to start to damage your brain and death occurs sometime after.

Google around a bit. Five minutes might seem instantaneous to you, but I think it might be the longest five minutes someone could experience.
  3. It takes 3 minutes of no oxygen in your brain to get permanent brain damage. 5 to kill you.
  4. Ironically, my school is also doing a controversial project... Does your include school uniforms? This goes to jtc also.
  5. The UK sold the US slaves originally, and then the US took over. I believe that the number of slaves traded wasnt actually as much as commonly believed. Also, the African tribes sold the US slaves, the US didnt go in there on their own and abduct them. The 1950s is an extremely exaggerated time, blame the media for that -_-

The real problem in Africa is this: Religion.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  6. Not really, all we have is a dress code (collared shirts everywhere...)
  7. Never mind then... No dress codes for our school.
  8. Most people lose consciousness after about 3 minutes of oxgen deprivation. After five minutes, the brain is pretty much gone.
    mba2012 likes this.
  9. I live in the american south; it was not exaggerated. There are still a lot of racist old people down here.
    SoulPunisher and mba2012 like this.
  10. Yes, i do have a dress code. I wear a polo, navy pants, dress shoes and black socks. And a belt.
    On Thursdays, though, i have chapel. Then i have to wear a dress shirt and a tie. otherwise, the code stays the same =P
  11. Thats true. But the amount of killings and stuff related to that is. Just like the Boston Massacre was exaggerated. It of course was very horrible, what the KKK did. Im not saying that what they did wasnt that bad. But what they did was blown up by the media, and by various organizations. Kind of like the Iraq war (not saying i support that, i definitely dont). They would constantly talk about how unsafe it was their. If you look at the statistics, it was safer to be a soldier in Iraq than it is to be in the states, commuting to work. Im just focusing on the physical injury side, because thats most of what the media would try to feed us.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. There is only one way to get Malaria. Malaria is a parasite that infests the Aedes Aegyptes (that's genus/species) mosquito. When an infested Aedes Aegyptes mosquito feeds on a human there is a chance that it can pass the parasite to the human.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I would say yes becuase you dont need to learn once your dead. But maybe for a moinor crime, comuntiy serveice and jail time can suffice.
  14. I am intrigued. Do tell.
  15. First of all everyone and even the very first humans had to cut down trees and damage wild life to survive. The reason we aren't at the bottom is because we are smart enough to understand are weaknesses and evolve. The ability to understand are weaknesses is what makes us stronger. It allows us to figure out ways to get around are inability to do things. The fact is Humans are probably the most advanced beings on this planet. Sure other animals are very smart. Then again have they built civilizations and are they able to have things like politics or create works of art and literature? No they can't. They can't do any of the things that a human can do. In truth we aren't pathetic defenseless beings. We are extremely intelligent compared to most animals which allows us to make up what we lack in brawn in wisdom. If you where a wolf you would die easily if someone found you and was armed. Even if not armed they could easily call animal control if you attacked them. If you where a wolf you wouldn't be able to even make that post.
  16. Well they have been at war with each other for thousands of years, because of their local tribal religions. There of course were peaceful tribes, but there we many more hostile tribes. And it continues today. The rivalry of the tribes originated from their radically different and sometimes extremely violent religions. Take a look at the Native Americans. They had peaceful tribes, but there were many violent, and war centered tribes (with each other, forget the settlers). A lot of their behavior was because of their local tribal religions. Now, take that situation, make the population of the tribes and the amount of tribes immensely larger, add a lot of heat, add in the factor of poor agriculture and inadequate water quality and quantity, add in natural dangers and diseases, and the result is a VERY unstable group of tribes, with radically different religions. Religions are vital to tribes and small communities. If the religion said not to fight, they wouldnt. If they say 'go fight', they will fight until everything is destroyed.
  17. Three minutes. Five minutes. Still not instantaneous. I'm sure Mr Brain starts to miss his old friend Mr. Lung after a few seconds and except for the initial shock, I expect you'd be quite aware of it until you lost consciousness.

Jtc - I hope you've got a lot of interesting material out of this discussion. I hope you do well on your paper. From the looks of the thread, maybe you could write about slavery next :)
    creepincreepers7 likes this.
  18. Agreed, a horrible way to die, or to execute someone.
  19. Got any examples?
  20. I dont, sorry:/ All i really remember from my African history lessons was the basic outline. Plus, i suspect that with changing names, that it would be very difficult to track anything. I do remember learning about ancient Egypt, and about how they were "lucky" (all of their conditions) to be safe in Africa at the time (4000+ years ago).
    mba2012 likes this.