Introducing "Community Perks"

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Sep 3, 2012.

1. It is not our intentions to do something like this however.

Everyone will receive the same reward regardless of # of players taking part. We do not want to give players any reason to WANT to do it with less people. We want people to get as many as they can.

If we were to make it give less exp with more people, people would want to go with minimal team size to maximize personal exp gain, and that is not good. We want large teams to form, giving the people who don't have alot of friends (ie: new players) a chance to join someone elses team and get a shot at fighting the dragon.

While 15 players may make the fight ALOT easier, it means 15 players just banded together and did something fun together, and got a nice perk for their server, and that is an ultimate community win :)
  2. Sorry, Not really possible code wise I don't think.
    This would be abused way too much for spam and bad messages.

I think the current dragon rewards will be pretty adequate :) But future plans already involves getting random valuable items.
    But: One perk I think we will be adding to the mix and maybe only if 15 players: Luck!

Luck Perk: (For all players connected to the server while the perk is active) All monsters have random chance to drop additional valuable loot (ie Diamonds!)
  3. I don't see how you could spam with this? It's not like you're giving out /shout powers, all would be is an automated message in chat similar to: IcecreamCow, JustinGuy, Aikar, shaunwhite1982 and Maxarias killed Fluffy the Enderdragon on SMP1 in 9001 minutes. Since you'd have to kill the dragon to make the message appear, it wouldn't exactly be the easiest thing ever to spam with.

EDIT: Worse case scenario, we'd get something along these lines, with isn't exactly terrible either: IcecreamCow, JustinGuy, Aikar, shaunwhite1982, Maxarias, GameKribJim, JustinsPetCat, EyeCar, EmpireMinecraft, ICC_Alt, DragonFood, ChickensMustDie, Amadai, NurseKillJoy and SomeoneElse killed Fluffy the Enderdragon on SMP1 in 9001 minutes.
    chickeneer likes this.
  4. (about Idea 1)
    I thought it might be possible with 'potion-effects', but you're probably right about the other things.

(about Idea 2)
    As Jack said aswell, it would only be 1 single time. If finding and completing a dragoncave is really that hard, this will hardly happen, and will be nice to do :)

(about Idea 3)
    Now that's awesome. Seems like you already thought about the little extras ^^
  5. Sorry I totallllly misread your message about the broadcast.

I thought you meant give the users the ability to broadcast their own message as a perk based on the "get a great deal" I was imagining using it to spam shop adverts...

I was actually planning to broadcast the kill on the server, but doing it to the other servers may be too much more tech-wise.
  6. Maybe like with the graveyard on smp1 with banned players ... we could later have signs put up or something in one of the towns (or each of them) having the completors names on it ... just a suggestion ....

....and the thing i was talking about with more people playing i wasn't meaning it like that, i was just saying with less people it is more challenging and they should be rewarded more for dragon .... but maybe like someone mentioned everyone gets same prize, but the perks for them decrease with more members because the perk:member ratio will even out .... :D ... but either way, no xp or perks .... i'm mainly just looking forward to the dragon lol :p
  7. Doing something like the Graveyard would not be a good idea because the signs have to all be typed/placed individually. Aikar will have something on the site which will keep track of that.... someone could create something in honor of the brave warriors who fought off the dragon....
  8. The dragon fight is something thats going to be done often, and we hope everyone takes part in it and does it multiple times, so signs of the victors may get overwhelming quite fast lol..

Also I think their is some confusion to the perks. Perks INCREASE in strength with more players... And applies to everyone on the server, not just the ones who killed the dragon.

Anyone who fights the dragon will get the same XP/Egg reward, and then everyone on server receives perk.

the idea here is to want to build up bigger teams before going into the fight, so that you reap more rewards after the fight.

Sure this is a little backwards in normal fight mechanics (Tougher fight = more rewards usually) But we don't want people to have ANY reason to do the fight with less people. We want the community to really bond and get to know each other, and I'm sure that first batch of people you slay your first dragon with will have a lot more meaning to you :)

This is all about having fun and building community, not about making Minecraft more "serious".

If players value challenge, they can sacrifice the additional perks and do the fight with only 5 people :)
    krysyyjane9191 likes this.
  9. Or they can have 5 people go in and have each take turns doing separate 1v1 sessions with the dragon.
  10. Lol.... Well it would be funny but the system actually won't start the event until 5 people have entered... This Tomb is going to be like nothing you've seen before in MC :)

Well, you could enter with all 5, then have the other 4 leave once one person starts the fight lol, but if noone is in the arena the event ends, so youll need 1 person to stay in to keep it alive.
  11. This is awesome! What a great idea to help band the community even closer together! Y'all never cease to amaze :)
    krysyyjane9191 likes this.
  12. I've just though, couldn't you potentially cheat the system by just getting an alt and AFKing it in the spawn area of the tomb? That way, even if everyone dies you'd still be able to re-enter. Or have you thought of a way to prevent that?
  13. There will be mechanisms in place to kick you out if your detected to not be helping the fight. Plus, nothing stops the dragon from flying to you and eating your alt.
    chickeneer and JackBiggin like this.
  14. I've personally experienced this. Good luck hanging around afking in the arena.
    margaritte likes this.
  15. The Cow changed his profile pick!
    Did anyone else just notice?
  16. How will the perks be selected? Will they be totally random as to which perk gets applied? Or could their be a voting system that like gives 3 random options and the perk that gets the most votes via /vote 1, 2 or 3 gets applied? Or will it be that if on completion of the event, perk "a" always gets applied, but if in the duration of that perk the event is completed again perk "b" will be applied and so on?
  17. Makes my head spin just thinking about it...
  18. yeah, I noticed a while back (Yesterday) :p
  19. I think it looks a bit gruesome to be honest.
  20. Or to make it easy, just have a perk of the week or something.
    cnquast and margaritte like this.