how to deal with a minecraft update?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fred_TWK, Jun 2, 2021.

1. please bear with me, I started playing Minecraft this year :oops:

- should I wait to update my client?
    - if yes, what should I wait for? that all the mods (and fabric) I use have been updated? that the server has been updated?
    - if not, how does it work with the server? will a 1.17 client be able to play here while we still are on 1.16? or do I have to do something specific?

and in terms of server update
    - is it announced in advance?
    - how does it work? is it performed at an announced time, or is it a "surprise reboot" at a non-specified time of day?
    607 likes this.
  2. I'll tell you what I usually do :)

I personally use MultiMC, but everything should work the same for the vanilla launcher.
    Both for MultiMC and for the vanilla launcher, you can have multiple installations of minecraft on multiple versions. The last time I used the vanilla launcher, which was in 1.10, you could have multiple installations with different mods by adding maps in the "mods" map of your .minecraft folder, naming them to the version the mods were for. So, I had a "1.9" folder, in which all the mods for the 1.9 client were located, and a "1.10" folder, in which all the mods for 1.10 were located, both of which were inside the "mods" folder in .minecraft. It might no longer work this way, check google :p

Having said that, this is what I usually do:
    -When an update comes out, or, usually, once the pre-releases are stable, I add a vanilla client for the new version. This is for doing redstone (when I'm unsure if something still works in the new version) and for building (too see which colours will be available.) 1.13 was so unstable at release that I waited for a later update with doing this, but 1.17 should be fine :)
    -When EMC updates, I make sure that this client has all mods that are out are installed. When EMC doesn't update, like what happened with 1.13 and 1.14, I just only have this vanilla version.
    -Once all my mods and EMC have updated, I start making a good modded client. I test stuff to make sure everything is stable, and I look for new mods I might want to try.
    This "making a good client" usually takes me a full day, so that's why I make sure I only have to do it once every update. :)

It is usually ony expected in advance. If you read the stuff the dev say on suggestion threads, and the way they talk about the newer updates they push out, it is usually clear quite quickly when the update will happen. For me, the actual date usually stays a surprise, though. I always log on the forums before I log on the client, so I usually see that EMC has updated on the forums first :p
    For 1.17, Chicken said he hopes it will be out around the end of this month, but, of course, delays might happen. :p
    Fred_TWK likes this.
  3. 1. Yes, but you can update your client first to get the mods you want (so you aren't doing it right after the server updates). I don't know how Fabric works, but you will need to put new mods in a different folder so your 1.16 profile doesn't try to load incompatible mods.

2. Wait for the server to update. You may have to play MC without some of those mods if the server updates first.

3. You will need a 1.17 client to connect to a 1.17 server.

4 & 5. If you're online, the server will restart with a notice of 1 minute... this can change, though, and the advance might be longer.
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  4. 3. but a 1.17 client and a 1.16 server work or there is no retro-compatibility?

4&5. ok, so no announcement for what concerns me :D

this brings me to a side question: what happens if I am in the waste and far from an outpost at update/waste-reset time?
    607 likes this.
  5. Everyone who was in the Waste will get teleported back to spawn when the waste resets :)

Tcehnically, it doesn't, but the devs are usually able to make it work in a few hours. You will probably be able to connect with a 1.17 client to the server when minecraft has updated but EMC has not jet. However, this connection is usually somewhat glitchy, so it is still adviced to just contignue using a 1.16 client :)
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  6. Normaly there is an announcement on discord, fourms and in game a few hours before hand

And normaly there is a waste reset which is given an announcement a few days before sooo basicly we are told a few days before
    LindenNZ and Fred_TWK like this.
  7. The modern Minecraft launcher makes it very easy to switch between versions. :)
    Fred_TWK likes this.
  8. and MultiMC makes it even easier :D :p
    607 and Egeau like this.