[Hiring] Miners (~8k/hr)

Discussion in 'Player Jobs Available' started by azoundria, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Well if you're going to be an active miner (which is entirely up to you how active you become), you will go through a lot of pickaxes. Going back to town is really inefficient compared to just staying in the mines and building a collection of pickaxes. But if you can find a bunch of eff v and bring them with you that would work too. (You can safely store them in the ender chest and access them at any mine station.)
  2. I had four but lost two in one trip with some kids I took out to mine. He fell in lava then directed me to where he fell and I fell in the same place. I thought I could get out before I died. Well, I thought wrong and lost two of them. I plan on getting/making another 2-3 within the next week or so.
  3. Yeah I was going to mention that a big part of mining risk is losing pickaxes to lava, at which point you lose your entire investment regardless of anything (except soulbound).
  4. I have spent the past hour on a quest to disprove the 8k/hr claim as it seemed a little high to me. To start I took the average earnings per run which is a little less than 2k. The needed runs in an hour would be 4. I doubted I could make 3 but very generously started my tunnels going as fast as I could. the first run turned up about 1500r the second around 600r the third about 1100 and the fourth being a huge outlier to this data: 5600(17 diamond ore).

I did indeed make 4 trips but they were as fast as I could with a much less run/hour than I had been making doing about 2.5 runs an hour(this is a guess, it could be less.) At the end of the hour I pulled in 8700-ish rupees. which would validate the 8k/hr and then some. 5600 rupees is an outlier by far even when compared against the average of all miners and my average which has been higher than the other miners. If we put a generous 2k in the place of the 5600 we get a total of a little over 5k. However, the test wasn't to see how much rupees i would get in this hour. It was to see how many runs I could do going as fast as I could. I did 4 runs with 4 minutes to spare. This included all the little nuances that comes with the mining venture and running about 200 blocks to restock a station.

4 runs(how many I did in the test) at right around 2k(the average per run of all miners), maybe a little less, average definitely gets you 8k/hr. I have only done 8 runs so far so I'm sure I will get faster.

Note that while doing this I ignored obsidian and caves, both of which will increase your earnings, in my experience. Had I done those two things I would have had less time to finish my runs but would have made more for my time so the 8k stands soundly as obtainable per hour. :D

As you can see with my 5600 run though, if you are really really really lucky, you could make over 20k hour. although I wouldn't plan on making over 10k an hour on average no matter how fast you get.
  5. i didn't steal from u azoundria if u had of noticed i had made a mistake once and then i had to put the stuff back but the cart had gone so i put it in someones chest the end
    2014-12-06_05.52.25.png
  6. It varies a lot per run due largely to diamonds. I'm usually able to make about 10k/hr when I ignore distractions and just mine. (I test it regularly on my alt and almost always can hit 10k.) The extreme hills also yield emerald ores, and may be even more worthwhile to mine in.

This is an interesting result to note that even though you were effectively trying to prove you couldn't get 8k you still did. I'm curious to see what kind of results you can achieve when you set out to prove that you can hit an even higher goal like 10k or 12k.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  7. Prices have been increased on emeralds and emerald ores! There's time this weekend if anyone else is looking to get started!
  8. I did a run today, and I only got 6 iron, 29 coal (with fortune 2), and 2.5 stacks of redstone (also with fortune 2). Unluckiest run ever.
  9. Fortune 3 will definitely get you more. Try to get your XP back up to level 30 and hope you end up with fortune 3 or silk touch. Either of those will be better than breaking the ores with fortune 2. I would recommend smelting all the cobble you can to get more XP.

If you do reconsider and still want the replacement pickaxes just let me know! I'm almost out of fortune pickaxes but I can still give you a good deal since I want to get you started again.
  10. I had one run the other day that was around 600r evesthery. lol, it happens. Emerald ore? is there an x hills biome within the mine? I didn't even bother to look and see.
  11. Yes, a large chunk of the mines is an extreme hills biome.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  12. I've got what I want for now, thank you.
  13. If you are unsure about doing this, I made just short of 70k in two days XD
  14. So are you looking for people to join?
  15. Definitely! Right now there's an issue with some of the current miners going inactive on EMC. I'd really like to build up an active team so there will always be someone to mine with, since it's a lot more fun that way, and haste, and group tokens.

We're really close to having mined half a million rupees of material.
  16. Ok I think I might join
  17. Well I look forward to your application and having you be a part of the team.
  18. Miner Application
    --Basics--
    Username: kris1427
    Days On EMC: 57
    Primary SMP: SMP 2

--Equipment--
    What pickaxes do you have already?
    Multiple maxed-out fortune and silk touch pickaxes

What armour do you have already?

-Protection 4, Unbreaking 3, respiration 3 and Aqua affinity 1 for helmet, fire protection 4, unbreaking 3 for boots, blast protection 3, unbreaking 3 chestplate, and protection 4, unbreaking 3 pants.

--Comprehension--
    What mod do we use to speed up mining?
    Autoswitch, I have it installed already.

What are the 3 Ls for passages above?
    Level, lighted, and lava free, lighted

What is the deposit to start mining and what does it cover?
    -12k rupees, it covers three pickaxes that you supply and to eliminate some risk of theft and damage

How many blocks between each hall with chests?
    -Chests are every 250 meters

What do you do with mined goods?
    -Once my inventory is full I place everything in a minecart, fill out a report and send it away.

What do you have to worry about when filling in holes after mining ores?
    -Make sure the area is well lit, there are no holes in the ground, and no water/lava blocks movement.

--Experience--
    What ores can you expect to find in a mine?
    Diamond, emerald (in extreme hills), coal, gold, iron, lapis and redstone.

How can you quickly neutralize a pool of lava?
    You can completely fill in lava with dirt, source and non-source then break it all with a shovel, or you can pour water on a large pool.

What can you do to quickly mine through the top layer of obsidian?
    Stand in water to make sure no obsidian is lost, and all open lava is turned to more obsidian.

What should you do if you fall into a pool of lava?
    Drink a fire resistance potion and use a bucket of water if possible.

What should you do in a situation where you are swarmed with mobs and almost dead?
    Use healing potions/golden apples which you should always keep in your inventory, log off and log back in so they all despawn, you can also surround yourself in cobble until you heal up.

What should be done before mining diamonds?
    Always check all the way around a vein of diamonds and isolate them so there is no risk of them falling in lava.

Should you ever mine the block above/below you?

No, you should always stand a block to the side to avoid falling, gravel, or lava/water.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  19. Grats Penniopolis for passing me. I will be back for the high score though ;-)

Cant wait to see how you fair Kris, looks like you know what you are doing
    Kris1427 likes this.
  20. And .. after azoundria bugging me over and over I'm offering free tutoring on how I got to the top of the high scores with half the runs of other people on the list. I work between 5-7 days a week and am on pretty late US time so if you find me on and want me to show you how I'm pulling in the ruppees just Msg me in game and I will get over to the mine to show you as quick as I can :)
    Kris1427 likes this.