[HIRING AGAIN] A Redstone Person

Discussion in 'Products, Businesses, & Services Archives' started by ShyguytheGamer1, Aug 4, 2015.

?

Are you awesome at redstone?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2015.
Yes 10 vote(s) 71.4%
No 4 vote(s) 28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redstone and string obsidian farms no longer work in 1.8. I miss mine very much. I don't know of any other way to do this in 1.8 except use lava source blocks. Each lava source block = 1 block of obsidian. Eff5/unb3 dia picks and a haste beacon are as good as it gets in 1.8. If anyone knows a better way, let me know too please :)
    georgeashington likes this.
  2. I haven't built it myself, but by all accounts and theory... I can guarantee it working by 95%

....with a 5% margin of error
  3. Granted... about 83% of my percentage statistics are made up on the spot.
    ShelLuser and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. It is an interesting design, but would not be efficient on EMC. If I remember correctly, Aikar's hopper changes have the hoppers suck in an item every three seconds. If one were to insta-mine obsidian, this would lead to just 10 obsidian per minute (a bucket will shoot out half the time). With an E5 pick, that cycle would average roughly 8.5 seconds per obsidian, or about 7 obsidian per minute. Due to EMC's AFK rules, one would have to be constantly doing something like watching YouTube in order to not get banned.

It would be more efficient in the long run to make an obsidian "trench" and use an autoclicker and item to hold down the forward key while watching YouTube. I would take significantly longer to build, but it would average ~20 obsidian per minute.
  5. That is true, very true, my afk cactus farm I need to work on now, thanks for that reminder :)
  6. Why does it no longer work? I have a working version at an outpost on smp5.
  7. Very true on the rules. I would never suggest making anything like this for full AFK farm, however I'm always a fan of automating as much as humanly possible (I'm lazy).

It's nigh impossible to insta-mine obsidian. Even with haste 2 beacon and effV pick it takes 2-3 full seconds to break an obsidian block. Even if it is 2 seconds between each block, add the extra second from the pulse of the redstone and you have your full 3 seconds for the intake rate.

HOWEVER, if the servers are heavy on the TPS lag, the intake rate decreases even further (I believe, please correct me if I am wrong). THIS is where you would run into issues. However, a simple toggle-able delay gate on the circuit would prevent this.

For the beginner, though, you can expand the trench in the video, and build the same design minus the hoppers and redstone circuits. Just add a button circuit tot he dispensers.

I built a quick mock-up of one on SMP5@10286. Stop by and take a look if that will work for ya. If you need something.... more let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  8. To my knowledge obsidian farms were fixed in 1.8(aka removed as it was a bug)

the bug was due to the block ID's being mixed up
  9. Because as several have said in the post already, they fixed the "bug" in the 1.8 update. If you had a working version of it, it will not work anymore.

I had this exact build in town pre-1.8, it worked great! Just tested it again, doesn't work anymore.

Just to make sure it wasn't broken, I destroyed it and rebuilt it exactly. Still doesn't work.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  10. Closed thread as requested.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.