Hey! Need some help with Minecraft

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ILTG, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Heyo -- I've got an issue with the "safe zone" of my screen. For some reason, whenever I play with an maximized Minecraft window, things seem to go off the edge of the screen (books, status effects, my toolbar). However, when I play in fullscreen mode (which I don't like), it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

As you can see above, the toolbar is cut off (I adjusted the size of the screen so you could see the issue. It does this even when I click the maximize button).

Here it is in fullscreen, showing up perfectly.

Thanks for your time.

edit: Another picture

2. Might be a bit annoying, but try changing your screen resolution.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. Try messing with your GUI scale in the options menu.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. One thing which puzzles me: what is that grass strip at the bottom?

See: on my screen the toolbar sits at the bottom of the screen, there's nothing between the edge of my toolbar and the edge of my game area, here's an application screenshot:

ILTG likes this.
  5. He said; "(I adjusted the size of the screen so you could see the issue. It does this even when I click the maximize button)."
  6. I'm well aware, but adjusting the screen does not change the distance between the toolbar (to give it a name) and the edge of the screen. Hence my question.
  7. I think he means he made the minecraft window smaller to show it better.
    ILTG likes this.
  8. Sorry! I forgot to mention that I included my desktop background. I did so to show that the window's edge was there, cutting the toolbar off. MattieTheSpud was right -- although I understand what you're saying

Anyway, no matter how I have the game (except for fullscreen) the toolbar is cut off.
  9. I added another picture to the OP.
  10. Ah, I see! It's cutting off every edge.

Can you try a different version of the game and see if it still does it?
    ILTG likes this.
  11. I tried switching from Optifine 1.12 to normal latest version and nothing changed.
  12. 1.12 is the latest version, try 1.10 or something.
    ILTG likes this.
  13. What Java version are you using?

After starting the launcher check the "Launch options" tab (if you don't see any tab names then click the menu icon (the three lines). Then click on the profile you'd normally use to start Minecraft and pay extra attention to the 'Java executable' setting. If nothing is listed there (the option is disabled) then you can ignore this post.

If the setting is enabled though then it might be interesting to know what version you're using. I'd also recommend to turn the option off for now to see if that changes anything.

This is what I mean:

ILTG likes this.
  14. I meant 1.12.1 -- I'll try another version.

I'm on the old launcher :p

I think Java needs an update on my laptop anyway.
  15. Hang on, you're using the old launcher? Start there.
    ILTG and UltiPig like this.
  16. Bzzzt. Nothing wrong with the old laucher. Nothing at all.
    ILTG likes this.
  17. It's Mojang. It's a worthwhile troubleshooting step to check if it's the same with the new one.
    ILTG likes this.
  18. I found it poorly designed with duplicated sections and hidden commands. For the average user the new launcher is clearer. It still has a problem in that you need to go to any other section than Launch Options to actually launch but it's mostly better. Isn't that why you are using it?

Back to the OP, I would recommend a graphics driver update, weird things happen with some drivers and if you have had an automatic update via Windows Update then it could have caused it. Best to go to the manufacturer's site (AMD, nVidia or laptop/motherboard maker) and look for it there. NEVER USE A DRIVER UPDATE SITE! They are full of adware.

If that doesn't help a re-install of minecraft (downloaded from mojang) would also be a good idea but know that the new launcher will probably be installed. You could also move your .minecraft folder to a temporary location to see if a clean install has the same problem.

Finally, you may want to change to a newer version of Java using the Java setting shown in Shel's post. You will need to download and install it from java.com. I doubt this is the issue or others would probably have the same forcing Mojang to finally get off their lazy bums and update from a 3-year-old version that is most likely bug-filled and has a bagfull of security issues.
    ILTG likes this.
  19. Unless you're using a Java version lower than 1.8 then I'd start with checking the graphics drivers as Baradar suggested.

Thing is: Minecrafts current default is to use a Java version which is pretty old in itself. The most recent version of Java is 1.8.0_144 at the time of writing, but Minecraft ships with Java 1.8.0_25. That's quite old. But that also means that unless you're using 1.7 or earlier then I somewhat doubt that Java is to blame for all this, most certainly not its age.

But another thing which sprung to mind: did you change anything in your launcher profile? Although it shouldn't have an affect you can also change the default size of your window. You might want to look into that as well.

(edit)

To rule the whole thing out I'd suggest the following to start... Warning: keep your username & password handy. Open a file manager, go to %appdata%. You'll find a folder .minecraft in there. Rename this folder into something else. "minecraft_bck" for example. Then start your Minecraft, log in again (that's the caveat) and fire it up. Does the same thing happen?

If not: re-run the OptiFine installer, and try again. If things still don't go bad then it is something in your settings "somewhere". If so then my suggestion would be to move all the data you care for over (for example screenshots, logfiles, stuff like that) and trash your previous installation.

If this doesn't change anything then you can rename the folder back to .minecraft (make sure to remove the new one first) and you should definitely look into the graphics drivers next.
    ILTG and TomvanWijnen like this.
  20. Do you play any other kinds of games? Do they work properly, or not?

Did you recently install other (integrated) video card drivers? If so, try installing older/newer versions. Sometimes the drivers mess up, and can caused funny stuff like this. :)

Wait! Hold on a sec, don't do this! There's one thing that needs to be changed: in any case, leave the dot at the beginning of the name (so, ".minecraft_bck or ".minecraft backup 18-09-17" or ".random title 15")! The reason for this, is that if you remove the dot, you won't be able to add it back, unless you go through some unnecessary hoops and loops. Windows won't let you name files starting with a dot, but the .minecraft needs it to be recognised by the launcher. :)
    ILTG and ShelLuser like this.