[Help] Setting up a server

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by PenguinDJ, Nov 1, 2015.

1. You could try using Logmein Hamachi instead of port forwarding
  2. Hamachi won't do it, unfortunately.
  3. Could you post a picyure of your server properties file, just to see if it could be an issue in there?
  4. As ShelLuser said, you need to allow both TCP and UDP as it says in the instructions:

Your settings from above are TCP not Both:

I would start by changing that. If it still does not work go back and make sure you followed every detail of the instructions correctly.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  5. Where did you find the '120' you used there? For me, on a Mac, I can see a similar IP address in network preferences, and the last number changes periodically, meaning I have to change it in the port forwarding menu pretty much every time I run my server, to correspond to the current number. Basically, just check to make sure they match up.

I also suggest using a different port number than '25565'. You can just set it to '25564', but make sure it's set to that everywhere, including in your server properties file (server-port=25564).

What is the IP you're using in the actual Minecraft window to join the server, and what is the IP other people are trying to use? For you, you're probably getting on using '192.168.1.120:25565', or maybe 'localhost', or something like that, right? Make sure the other people are using your external IP (just Google "my ip"), with ':25564' attached to it.

I've had my server refuse to work for so many different stupid reasons, including everything from people trying to use my internal IP to just forgetting to click 'save' in the port forwarding menu. Sometimes I just don't do all the things in the right order. When it works, though, it's a magical feeling. :D
    607, PenguinDJ and Pab10S like this.
  6. Tip -- verify each step along the way. Simple mistakes may take hours to find.

From a dos prompt, do "ipconfig -a" and see that you have the correct 192.168.1.X address. If it's wrong, either correct it or configure your router to assign the desired IP to your machine.

Run minecraft. From a dos prompt, do "netstat -a -p TCP" and verify that minecraft is listening on the correct IP and port. Alternative -- from a dos prompt, type "telnet 192.168.1.X <port>" and verify that you can connect to the minecraft server.

Do the same verification from another machine on the network. If you don't have another machine you might be able to use your cell phone, ipad, ps3, smart TV or other devices on the router.

If all of that works but outside connections fail then you may have a port forwarding issue or there may be a NAT on an upstream router. You might switch the server to a standard port (like 80) which may be allowed by any upstream routers.
  7. That netstat output looks promising. 0.0.0.0 indicates that Java is listening on all your network devices on port 25565. The only thing I can come up with now is a firewall issue, have you checked that? Because if you have your firewall set up in some kind of automatic mode then it's not unlikely that it'll allow incoming traffic from your local network (so: 192.168.1.0/24) but not from any addresses falling outside that network range.

So: testing it with another computer in your same network could be meaningless (not sure of course) because it would be allowed because of its network address.
  8. Just to double check ... Did you give your friends the right IP to join? Check at http://myexternalip.com/

If that isn't the problem, try hosting your server at a friend's house.
    That'll determine whether the problem lies within your server or your router.

EDIT: Changing your ISP's subscription MIGHT change you external IP address. That happened to me too :/
  9. Do you use an anti-virus software(McAfee, Norton, ect.) or do you use windows defender? I have found that most anti-virus softwares automatically block all incoming connections from external sources. Try adding a path through your firewall that will allow all incoming connections from the port 25565.
  10. Does a server cost money? Just curious if it doesn't cost money I would love to make my own, I would love to share my creations with friends around the world, I don't use Realms or I would start a Realm.
  11. Not it you host it yourself. Look up tutorials on YouTube on how to make a server. Also, I would recommend your computer having at least 4GB of ram to run a server

Did you change the IP in both the server properties file and the port forwarding page? If you have no luck with the default server launcher, try to make a Spigot server and see if that helps.
  12. Well it would be like player run mining events! It would be cool! Be a backup for if we have problems in EMC UHC like last weekend.
  13. Connecting with another machine on the network verifies that the server process is healthy and that there is no blocking firewall on the server machine. So it's not "meaningless" as a troubleshooting step.:)

The fastest way to resolve an issue which has multiple points of failure is to verify each step.

With typical setups, only a machine external to the network can use the external IP. So it is expected that you cannot verify the IP on your own.

There is a high probability that you have done everything correctly and that it is your ISP that is blocking external connections. I again recommend that you verify your setup using a second machine on your network. (So you can convince yourself that installing the server files for a fourth time isn't going to fix the issue.)

If you have no other option, bring your laptop to a friends house and test your setup from there.
  14. Oh sorry.. It was the morning and I was tired

I meant port :p
    PenguinDJ likes this.