[Help] Mods: How do I update/merge them?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by HazardousCode, Mar 29, 2020.

?

Have you ever done any coding in Minecraft or with mods?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2020.
Yes 2 vote(s) 50.0%
No 2 vote(s) 50.0%
  1. Hello, all.

With the 1.15 update, I'm finding a lot of my favorite mods have not updated since 1.12. I'd like to see if I can try my hand at updating these mods.

Specifically, I'm most missing Better HUD and Schematica. Schematica has a promising alternate version in the works called Litematica, so I'm willing to trade off and start using that one.

Here's part two of my dilemma: Better HUD is designed only for Forge, and Litematica is designed only for Fabric. As far as I'm aware, you can't use Forge and Fabric at the same time. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

So here's where I ask for your help: what do I need to accomplish here to be able to use both of these mods at the same time in a 1.15 client? If you can answers any of these questions for me, or point me in the direction of resources that can teach me, I would be very, very greatful.

I have a substantial exposure to HTML and CSS, and some to Java. I have no experience coding with Minecraft or doing any sort of work with mods, but am willing to learn.

Thanks so much for your time and anything you can do to help me figure this out! :D
    Mutavalli and 607 like this.
  2. I had the same problem.
    The best I have been able to find is to use MiniHud, which is another mod by the same creator as Litematica. It does not do the exact same things as Better HUD, but it does some of the things it does. For me, MiniHUD is better, because it adds features the other one misses, and removes some I would never need.
    All the differences are because it is made for one specific group of players: technical minecrafters, people who like to design redstone and such, and it really helps with all the things you need for that. :)
    607 likes this.
  3. I'll use this in the mean time - but I still want to be able to use Better HUD. I like it better for a lot of reasons.
    607 likes this.
  4. Many mod authors decided to stop updating their mods after 1.12 due to the same reason that we took so long to update here on EMC iirc. If the mod hasn't been atleast updated to 1.13 or the author has not posted any updates, I would guess that the mod will no longer be updated.
    607 and Egeau like this.
  5. I've made mods for the game before in 1.9.4. Although thimgs have changed since I last messed with mod making, I might take a look in the coming weeks at maybe attempting to port schematica to 1.15.2.
  6. Considering how popular the Schematica mod is, I assume that lots of people have attempted to or are attempting to already. ;)
  7. I'm sure there are people who have updated it for personal use. If I were to update it, I'm not sure I could publicly release a 1.15.2 version due to me not being the owner of the mod (at least without written permission from the original mod author). That is possibly why there isn't a public 1.15.2 version of the mod. I will probably still attempt to update it for personal use if anything.
    607 likes this.
  8. Regarding schematica... it won't help you for client sided stuff but if you have access to creative and more then the structure blocks can be a good alternative for exporting stuff. Also because you can even "link" blocks together (so: one structure contains a structure block which can load the next part).

Maybe EMC could consider to provide a new SS service: exporting of residences?
    607 likes this.