[Feature Discussion] Empire Shop Update v2

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Correct... buying is limited to how much is in chest.

If you put 80 in chest but set limit of sell to 40, the sign will read 1 (80/40)

you can sell items to players, but will not buy items until 41 have sold bringing you to 39/40
    roblikescake and LZBZ_DW like this.
  2. Cake's turn to post. ;)

Tehe, okay, I love this new idea. Aikar knows that it will surely help Area 52 much more than originally thought out. I will have to agree with some people, stating that it's a bit hard to read. Not for myself, but for alot of our users, as for we have many younger players on EMC. I reccomend a tutorial video included in the guide, because most youngster would rather watch a video on something than read about it.

I will post more later when I understand this a bit more.

But yeah, I'm glad you went with the community's thought. That's how a server keeps its success going.

<3
  3. For vault how much is it
  4. OK so the biggest thing I am getting here is that the new shop system is the old one, except with a built in search engine for items, and the ability to buy from this "search engine". Oh, and the tax system sounds good too. The past few days I've been on the server I have posted quite a few times something along the lines of, "Yay for virtual inflation!" in reply to something someone else said. The only bad thing though is that I feel like now the mega shops (like 1783 on SMP1) will not do nearly as well because with this new "search engine" people will be able to find the best price for an item much easier, therefore the "mega shops" that have higher priced items but are always in stock will not do nearly as well.
  5. It won't be bad for the big shops at all. This new idea will actually make a lot of people money. They will simply use this feature to find the lowest prices, and use the feature again to sell off the cheaply bought items. This is called reselling, which alot of shops ban people for. If you're going to have a shop, you will get people who resell no matter what, so deal with it. It's how people make money. You as a shop owner still make money off it anyhow, so why complain?
  6. No, no, I see what you're saying, but you are missing what I said. The "mega shops" are always in stock, but almost always have very high prices. The smaller shops are not always in stock, but have lower prices. So the new system will allow players to browse through the small shops that sell for lower prices before needing to resort to the "Mega shops" with the higher prices. Other than that though I really think this new system is very, very well done.
  7. Not all big shops always have stock. :p
  8. Even Aikar said on the other thread that the big shops are gonna have to take a hit for the community. However, it will also work like all the big shop owners will simply buy up cheaper offers, and resell for higher. God, some of them are such hipocrets or whoever you spell that. They resell themslves, but they ban you if you try reselling with them. :(
  9. See the main benefit of the major shops is that they were always in stock so it provided a bonus to its users to always be able to find what they need..

Well, everyone will always be able to find what they need with this new system, so keeping stock isnt as important..

The mega shop owners will be king of "broad supply" of items... They will essentially ensure those low demand items are in stock. For high demand items, they will need to float equally with everyone else who sells those same items...

Overall, all the prices will stabalize to be close to each other. If a new player wants to sell an item, they will have the guide to teach them how to find a fair price, and then list it.

Some will sell low, some will sell high, but either way, their item will have exposure to being sold now.

The system will balance itself out with time.. Supply and Demand will be the controller of the prices, instead of specific players.

Just look at it this way... The overall flow of the economy is going to change... Everyone will just have to adapt and readjust themselves and change their day to day actions. But its all for the better... :)
    roblikescake and LZBZ_DW like this.
  10. Thanks for answering my question.
    (I am happy now because I'm building a mini mall)
  11. ETA?
    Nole972 likes this.
  12. I like the idea of seeing whether the item is in stock or not. But I don't like the fees. This can greatly reduce the amount of money earned by some people. Especially the new people with higher prices..
  13. Why did I quote that..?
  14. It's just that it's VERY Confusing. So can someone with a chest shop buy unlimited among of items from other people
  15. Yes, anybody can buy any amount of the items for sale in your chest. You can limit this by limiting the amount of items you put in the chest.
  16. Good stuff, but i need some time to absorb :D
  17. That not what I meant to ask
  18. Hi there,
    I run a rather successful low to mid-price shop (12162@smp6) since about a month.

I like the idea of being able to search for cheapest offer and stock very much.
    I think it will help enjoying the game in several ways while not disturbing too
    much the current interaction between players around buying, selling, jobs and deals.

The other ideas - ones about controlling the market and the economy
    through artificial measures (from inside or (worse) outside of the game) are
    generally flawed and are like to cause more problems than they tried to solve.

As much as I was able to scan through the threads, I did not find a sound
    explanation of the scenarios and problems that would be solved by new taxes and fees.
    To say "bad things could / will happen" is not enough.

The first thing to consider is What is your goal overall?
    I'd suggest: freedom to have fun, play, interact, learn and develop. Freedom!
    Playing requires freedom. You can't play without it.
    Be open for new ways of playing and having fun with the game.
    This makes a great game and brings more players and then more supporters.

Do not ruin the game while trying to get more supporters and make more $$$ fast!
    Different taxes for supporters? This is socially a very bad idea and
    besides that - it is second to cheating!

Second: What rules are needed?
    General answer is "As few as possible!" This is important.
    I'd suggest: Do not hurt. Do not steal / destroy / grief. Do not disturb. Be polite.

Third: How to help the game-play?
    Make it more fun, with more ability to learn and develop.
    I'd suggest: Help players avoid tedious, boring, dull parts of the game.
    For example, I assume it is boring for almost everyone to search through a dozen
    of shops for acceptable price and then find shops out of stock (when trying to buy),
    or full (when trying to sell). Help players avoid losing time on dull things.
    There are several aspects of the game and EMC that can be improved.

Fourth: What kind of economy is appropriate?
    I'd suggest: The most natural one. Let people make it themselves in the game!
    And they are making it already! Do not think players are impaired.
    They don't need a (your) government and taxes besides keeping and
    enforcing of those few rules!

Do not compare real world economy with EMC. While basic, natural laws are
    the very same, the two differ very, very much. I don't have the time now to
    elaborate on this, but just consider how the relations between people in real
    world differ from relations between avatars / players in EMC and consider
    availability of resources.

Trying to artificially control and "stabilize" the economy, you will most
    likely ruin it. You can not beat the nature!
    If you try, you will certainly fail and cause grief.

The EMC economy (and prices) must change along with the development
    of this virtual world. This is natural. If you try to keep the prices stable and
    control the economy no matter what, you will enter a spiral of problems
    and hurt or even eventually destroy the development - and (still) fail.
    Please keep it simple and natural.

To say "inflation (and mean rise in level of prices) is bad" is generally very, very false.
    A moderate increase of prices is essential for the economy and development.
    (Even the real world economy would crash very fast without increase of prices,
    but we shall not compare...)

It is important to see and understand what causes price fluctuations - and differentiate.
    Increase in prices does not necessarily mean inflation!
    The causes make the difference. For example, the EMC economy would be instable due to
    hyperinflation if the increase of the amount of rupees would substantially surpass
    the availability of the goods.
    This is obviously not the case, as we have unlimited supply of "natural" resources
    and the increase of amount of ruppees is moderate.

Isn't it? If not - reduce it at its source. Think about different, more fair (in terms of game-play)
    ways of money supply - while keeping the primary goals in mind.

This is not all to it, there are several things more to consider, I'll take more time to
    elaborate if there is enough interest among the readers of the forum...

I hope for EMC to find a good path to great gameplay.
    I'll try to do my part and help.

Have fun!
    MM
  19. How do you
    How do you set a limit?
  20. It's in OP. The buy limit will be entered on the same line as buy quantity, separated by a colon, kind of like Buy and Sell price now.
    LZBZ_DW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.