[Feature Discussion] Empire Shop Update v2

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Each Enderchest is individual to each player. John123 will never see the contents in an enderchest that was put in by Sam123.
  2. If I'm understanding this new shop system then it sounds good to me, everything will sort itself out once it's put into production. Successful shop owners will still be successful shop owners.
    oidgod and IcecreamCow like this.
  3. This entire argument actually reminds me of the whole L4D2 fiasco. Back in the day when Valve announced L4D2, a bunch of very angry Valve customers protested it's release saying: "We would rather you keep L4D1 and just add a few minor things to it." They got a HUGE backing by making a big fuss and had a group saying: "We won't buy any more Valve stuff and we're leaving Valve/Steam if you release L4D2."

Valve invited some of the head guys from the group to come try L4D2 and they were all like: "Oh wow, this is pretty awesome."

Eventually it just died out and everyone loved L4D2.
  4. Yeah, to me this new shop system sounds like it'll make things much easier for buyers to find things and for sellers to make money. It also seems like it will minimize the need for as much marketing as you have to do currently as a new shop to supplant a more established shop if you're willing to put in the work to build a good shop. I also love the idea of being able to see the current stock on the sign itself so this will help inexperienced shop owners realize that having signs up for stuff they don't have stock of is a bad idea.

I don't see anything negative in anything mentioned in the original post at all, this is a total win for good shop owners.
    IcecreamCow likes this.
  5. Are you only responding to that one sentence, and ignoring the rest of my post?

I thought this was a discussion, not a pick and choose what I can argue with event.
  6. I'm not sure if you're referring to what I responded with, but if it is, it's because everything else in the statement was mentioned and answered quite a few times already in this post.

At this point, it's all basically pretty set as to what it is, and the only thing we can really do now is wait a few months when it actually is something and see how it goes. A lot of people think it will go good and a lot don't. So far, we as staff have been pretty on point with things we think are good for EMC and we think we are with this as well.

If we're completely wrong and everybody hates it when it's released (note everybody isn't just a few people who don't like it, as that will happen with anything in the world) we will work to change it for the better. However, knowing how everything works from the big picture, I can say that I'm sure it will be fine.
  7. I still want there to be shops in the wild.
  8. how would shops in the wild work when you can grief in the wild?
  9. It would be similar to locked chests - but I don't see this happening in the near future because this is why town exists.
  10. You have still yet to respond to the issue of cat and mouse "Who can resell the most items and make the most money doing it" which causes quite a bit of havoc.
  11. Well, it has a purpose. Many people live solely in the wild in communities, and would like to trade with each other.

Sure you can go on a trust system, but it would probally take zero effort to enable it in the wild. When i'm working on the shop system I will talk to Justin about and see what he thinks (as wild shops would be excluded from the new updates completely)

I personally dont see any real challenges to enabling it, but it would require a fee for locking the chest.

Or maybe just lock chest then put shop signs on it, and the signs arnt protected.

Ok, so say everyone does start using quickbuy and no-one uses physical shops anymore. Guess what that means? Everyone prefers that method instead of manually visiting shops. That immediately shows the majority loves the new system and does not like the old method of buying items. That immediately shows the system was a good idea for the majority of our community.

Then say it doesn't go that way, and most people still use the old fashioned way. Now, you and others are happy, as nothing much has changed, yet the select few who do prefer the new system are happy too, as we've given them an experience they much prefer.

It's a win-win situation for us here.

No, this system will help avoid that.

Currently, when you're setting up a shop, you don't KNOW every price. However, someone could be selling alot cheaper than your buy price, and then they resell to you to make profit. However theres not much way to know without spending an hour or more investigating tons of shops to learn everyones price point. ALOT of tedious work.

So to avoid that tedious work, you have to 'wing it' on prices. Every so often, someone gets bit. One player is bought out, another one is flooded. This is an acceptable market behavior, but the 2 ends of buyer/sellers may not be as happy about it.

Now with the new system, your given tools to help avoid this. You can make sure your prices are not 'broken', and you wont end up being flooded/bought out due to a resell profit margin.

Under that mentality, we would still be riding in horseback and carriages. That worked before you know? But no, the world progressed. Someone said "I know how to make this better and more efficient". Now look, we're crossing the world in less than a day.

The phrase "Don't fix what ain't broken" is a broken, flawed and failed concept. The world progresses with innovation. You have to adapt to change, or get left behind.
  12. Say, you give "free diamonds" from the EMC shop. Everybody takes them from there, and nobody sells them any more. "That immediately shows the majority loves the new system and does not like the old method"?

People won't buy diamonds if they can get 'em for free. There is no "choice" here.

It's a lose-lose situation.

P.S. Please stop saying "alot", if you can. The word does not exist, and it makes you sound a bit silly; see this.
    roblikescake likes this.
  13. I'd like a mini test server with the beta shop plugin. Even if your not close to finishing some sort of "actual" plugin might brighten some of these chaps moods on the concept. Aikar I suggest you look at these negative Nallys and Debbie downers as a grain of salt or however that saying goes. Just keep truckin' haha! ;)
    Herbrin3 likes this.
  14. No, that shows that people are too lazy to go to the physical shop to make money off reselling. Like I said, you are merely making it easier for anyone and everyone to resell for profits rather than have shops of their own.

So if I want to ride a spaceship but most people would prefer cars so you just take away the cars, I am happy because I got to try something that you have taken away from me because others don't like it?

By that you mean lose-lose, correct?

Are you aware that you just contradicted yourself? You said it will help to prevent reselling yet in the next paragraph you gave a pure example of how to resell for profit with this system. A large number of players do know prices. They simply ask in chat, or visit shops, etc. You can go to any of the smp servers and ask how much an item costs and get a good idea of how much to sell that item for.

You need commands to tell you how much to sell items for because you're too lazy to ask in chat? Not all of the smp servers have the same prices. They vary. That's another thing you have not considered.

Most advancements in the world happened because of problems that came across. People on horseback couldn't travel as far or as fast as they wished, trains eventually appeared. Lots of things appeared. That phrase is not broken. Windmills, for example, are not broken and thus don't need fixed. But research is still done to get efficiency out of them.

I don't even see why we are bothering to argue with you over this, when you keep comparing this to real life. Reality check, this isn't real life, this is a sandbox game where if you want to be successful you have to listen to the community.
  15. Rob and Her please stop, your not going anywhere. 2 people arent going to change the minds of more than that. I honestly think its a good system. And the community isn't two people. :rolleyes:
    Its being added. Like it or not. May as well accept it as long as they are fighting you.
    Tehwafflez, hayleycolgan and mba2012 like this.
  16. Im sorry, but it's not just us two against it. And if I recall correctly, I have the freedom of speech to voice my opinions on any idea.
  17. Yeah. But now youre just ticking them off more. Not convincing them to change.
  18. If they are getting angry over constructive critisism on an idea they proposed, then the idea was surely not thought out well enough. If you don't agree with my ideas or Herb's or anyone else, so be it. No need to be an arse and tell us to stop commenting. Simply unwatch the thread and move on.
  19. Im just going to ignore the insult and continue. They are getting angry over you hanging on to the old shop system. Overall you can leave if you dont like it. We will move on. Youre leaving anyway. Might as well not argue if you wont be here when its in effect.
  20. rob, if i'm understanding your complaint correctly you are saying that someone could use this system to find items at low prices, buy them all without visiting the shop, and then resell them right?

that would only work if:
    1) a shop or a person was buying them at a higher price, thus allowing you to sell to them
    2) a shop had quantity at a low price to begin with

in my experience, the shops that had low prices that would allow you to benefit from this did not have more than a stack at most of the item. plus the same system that allows you to resell at a higher price would also prevent this from happening because no shop would offer to buy something at an unreasonable price thus allowing you to do this.

pardon me if i'm not understanding your criticism correctly but if i am then i don't think it would play out like that
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.