[Feature Discussion] Empire Shop Update v2

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do a /shop buy XXX to see whats the lowest price the item is listed for. Long as you're not under that amount, you would be fine.

Yes, it will warn you, and if if we go with a progressive penalty (ie gets longer each time you violate it per week, might not do this though), it will be smart enough to detect changing price to 'fix' your price to be back fair and not count it against you if done within reasonable time.

But, we may just go with "an undercutted price will be static 12 hours" for simplicity sake, as changing price to be back in the acceptable range would then make it visible again.
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  2. Sounds reasonable. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)
  3. Ok... I came up with a new idea to hopefully squash the concern of players over people not visiting their shop due to quickbuy.

/shop allowquickbuy on/off

This will allow you to block people from using quickbuy for your items. If a user uses the quickbuy command and could of got a cheaper price by not using quickbuy, it will alert them which item can be found cheaper.

You can do this to get more people to visit your residence, but at the cost of less people overall buying your items.
  4. I really like the idea of being able to turn it on or off!
  5. I must say, I'm warming to the idea of this, but I also feel for those such as leowaste and AlexChance who have spent 100+ hours on designing there shop only to have it pretty much wasted. What sort of plans have you got that can make this benefit current shop owners who have spent time and effort on building and laying out there shop.
    AlexChance likes this.
  6. Pretty much every feature will help them. They don't see it, for whatever reason, but it will help them. It gives more of an advantage to MORE players but doesn't hurt the big guys in anyway.
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  7. We've made so many compromises and adjustments to the system just for these players already...

We've scrapped the web idea which would take away from visiting residences completely, and put in a new system that gives some incentive to still visit residences directly.
    We've added a feature to help shop owners guide their customers to the correct location for an item
    We've added a feature to disable quickbuy on their shops, meaning people HAVE to visit their res to get the item.

People's malls will still be useful, and its up to the mall owners to adapt and learn the new system to maximize their experience.

At this point, the only thing a major mall owner will be affected by the new system is that a player might go somewhere else to shop instead of their shop, and i'm sorry, but we will not be adding an ability to favor certain players over others in the search results.

That would be totally unfair.

If someone decides to buy an item from someone else, then the shop owner needs to consider why that player went to another shop, and adjust their practices if they really want to sell items to that player.
  8. Hmm, Seems different.
  9. I am not impressed. I read the OP and than I read mods saying "Its the same Old system with Awesome Perks!" is awesome the fact that I don't need to go to the website to search for shops? now I can just type a command and walla? bravo... The other Perks are that Now you have to Pay a fee for Using shops. Wooptydoo... that is all that needed to be explained. the rest is fill in.

P.S. if this was to simply add The ability to sell Enchanted items into the old system it could had easily simply been Coded in.
  10. I'm sorry you're not impressed and we know we won't always impress everyone. However, I think it's a bit more than you read into, though I'm sure not everyone will see it the same.
  11. I would also like to point out, That in 99% of cases there will be some pretty MAJOR bugs with this and people will abuse them should they be found. So I do hope you have a way to remove duped/glitched-in items from the game.
  12. I don't understand the point of this post... Are you trying to say I'm going to write bad code?

ps your sig is not true, its neither faster nor more reliable... Windows is only "more compatible".
    margaritte likes this.
  13. You should probably stop spamming useless stuff on threads Zoe D:

I don't think he means that. There's always a few little bugs with Justin's coding and he's great at it.. to my knowledge.

Even v2 will take a while for everyone to get used to and understand, much like other updates Justin releases.

I might read the whole thread a few times and create a simple dot point list of the new shop update for people to understand.
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  14. With his wording, "99% chance of major bugs" sounds like he is saying the code will be bad..

but the thing is, the actual buying/selling part isnt changing much. Theres very little chance that a duplication bug will arise from the new system.

the stock/price index is going to be a 'catalogue' or some word im looking for there. it wont be the source of truth, but more of a recommendation.

so if a player does quickbuy, itll 'fakely' go to the sellers residence, and run the same code just as if you hit the sign yourself.

yes there's always chances for bugs, but our chance is most definitely not 99%...and duplication is extremely unlikely.

worst case scenario would be the search results say something is in stock that isnt, or doesnt list a new item, or unable to be sold due to the cap implementation.
  15. I never said your going to write bad coding, What I'm saying is there will be some bugs, No decent size code is 100% bug proof, So I go back to my first post on the matter of bugs.

On your argument about my Signature, I would much rather be able to run everything then 10% of things, Heck I can't play Diablo III on Ubuntu, No spotify, No tekkit, or uTorrent (Legal files only OFC).

I did some tests aswell and Ubuntu booted 18 seconds slower on average (28 seconds to 10 seconds),
  16. Sorry your wording, with the use of "99%" "There will be some MAJOR bugs" and "hope you can remove duped items" really sounds like your saying i'm going to write bad code..

And we will test it, so we likely can ship it without any bugs.. I'm an elitist when it comes to coding >_>

My old work area and my banner :)
  17. Ok, Well make sure you do some thorough testing first.
  18. This is my job... I know...

For the record, I hate mac, but I wanted 3 screens and the 28" is hot... so I still have ubuntu on laptop. However I'm working with them to try to get a new desktop that I can run 3 screens on Ubuntu with.
    mba2012 likes this.
  19. Just wondering what do you use for Java programming. Eclipse or something else?
  20. Sorry, this is a little bit off topic, I will delete when you reply but;

Aikar, I'm assuming that you're the person updating EMC?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.