[EVENT] Santa's Workshop Chest Hunt!

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by MoreMoople, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Explore the magic of Santa's Workshop! Search through all of the workstations, bookshelves, bits and bobs to find the 25 hidden chests waiting for you.
    Be sure to choose wisely, as you may only claim 15 chests! The chests that are considered well-hidden will give you better rewards.

Go to /event to start your chest hunt!

Happy Holidays! Enjoy the event!
  2. Merry Christmas all!!
  3. Woohoo !! Luv this event, hope to get there soon.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a Good Night!!
  4. Wow, looks amazing! Thank you build team! :love: :<3:
  5. Great build! Due to the scale of it all I feel like the mouse running around someones house especially amoungst the pencils. 🙂

Thank you!

Now if there was only a way to hop from snowflake to snowflake outside.
  6. Thank you Build Team! It's been fun exploring the build!
  7. === Santa's Smart Elf Club ===

Join the secret club of Santa's smartest elves - relaxing, helping others, and taking home all the best loot!

=== Warning! Chest Limit 15 ===

You can only complete the event once! Once you reach 15 chests claimed - it's over and you can't get any more loot! Your outcome can vary - a lot! You could be stuck with useless junk like coal, sweet berries, or azalea if you just rush and grab the first chests.

You can spend vast sums of time and energy finding almost all of the 25 chests and by the time you found the last couple chests, you already claimed your 15. It took you hours or days of frustration and in the end, you still missed rare promos and you don't even know! Many of the chests hiding spots are really really clever, and they were right under your nose the whole time!

And the top chests matter a lot!

Each chests is a random pool of prizes - some good and some less good.

For example, last year if you missed just the single best chest, you missed a strong chance at an entire full stack of 64 enchanted gold notch apples. (The kind which can't ever be crafted anymore.) The chest was in a clever secret area. Those enchanted golden apples had a market value of 90k at the time. The average market value of the loot of that single chests was worth more than the average loot of the bottom 22 chests combined.

The third best chests was another great example! It's placement was so obvious that you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a low value chest. Most of the time the loot was pretty average. It was only a couple of really valuable loots that pushed it all the way to #3! Even if you found all 25 chests, can you really be sure you picked the best 15?

If you have money to throw away, give it to charity. Don't waste your loot opportunity that Santa gave you and leave yourself with a nagging regret to last all year!

=== Stop And Join The Club! ===

Imagine,

A leisurely stroll around Santa's Workshop, enjoy the build, chat with his elves, laugh at dumb elf jokes, find some chests, maybe even gather a few friends.

You relax and spend your holidays helping spread Christmas cheer.

And...

Somehow you still ended up with the optimal loot in minutes.

=== Membership Benefits ===

There are ongoing perks throughout the secret workshop event.

MEMBERSHIP BONUS #1 - Releasing December 31st to members who provided 17 or more chest locations or recruited 3 other members to join the club:

A complete, duplicate-free list of all X, Y, Z chest locations with screenshots and instructions of how to get to each chest.

The list will be shared at a secret link. It will update with new chests as soon as they are known.

MEMBERSHIP BONUS #2 - Releasing January 5th to members who provided 12 or more chest locations or recruited 2 other members to join the club:

A spreadsheet compiling together the reported loot and current market prices for different commodities and a statistical analysis of exactly which chests have the best loot.

The spreadsheet will be at a live link and have updated information as it's known.

MEMBERSHIP BONUS #3 - Releasing January 12th to members who provided 7 or more chests or recruited at least one new member:

A secret walkthrough, optimal route map, and screenshots of how to get the best chests and exactly what loot breakdown to expect from each chest.

Because individual loot preferences may vary, up to 17 chests will be included in the walkthrough. You choose which ones to skip claiming.

The guide will continue to be updated/adjusted with new loot information. It includes a handy form to provide your loot as you complete it!

MEMBERSHIP BONUS #4 - Speed run contest on January 14th. Anyone who has earned the guide is welcome to join, assuming we reach 11 or more total member signups:

The goal of the speed run contest is to help anyone through the event who is having trouble finding chests, etc... There will also be a YouTube video contest for any members who are YouTube content creators! It should be the most fun time to complete the event if you haven't already!

I am not a YouTube content creator but I can start a prize pool with 100,000r, some beacons, diamonds, etc... It would be awesome if you feel like sharing some of your new prize loot that you earned into the prize pool!

Eligible videos should walk through finding all guide chests (up to 17) and include a promotional mention of the club in some way. All videos should be private with instructions or link only until the judging is complete. Guide-eligible member will receive all videos and have their opportunity to select which videos that they want to nominate (a +1 vote) or veto (a -1 vote). The video with the most votes wins as the official final guide for all members. Use whatever criteria you find fairest such as speed, clarity, and fun to watch. In the event of a tie (same vote total), the earlier upload will win. Early videos will be released to eligible members as they come out. The deadline for final video submission is midnight between January 16th and 17th. The deadline for votes to be cast will officially be midnight EMC time (Eastern time) between January 19th and 20th.

Videos definitely do not need to be made public and I can't stop you after judging is done, but I do feel it's better for the event to limit viewership to those who have put some effort to find at least some chests. Once the workshop is closed, no issues with public release.

MEMBERSHIP BONUS #5 - Prize party and drop party on January 20th. This will be a public event for anyone who wants to join:

Don't fight the low value loot! Separate from it! It's a good old fashioned drop party and a great opportunity to drop any low value loot you don't want that you ended up with - either from the Christmas event or just in general. It will be hosted at one of the SMPs, just in case Santa's workshop is closed.

I have on some terms that there will be at least a few valuable drops there. This is also where we will officially announce the speedrun video runner ups and winners, and officially unlock the prize chests.

The timing for both of these events will be set based on the preferences in the member sign-up application. Exact time and location will be announced with the release of the guide. The drops will probably keep happening for a while after though.

=== Membership Application ===

To join just fill out the following and send to azoundria via private message here on the forums:

The club is 100% free to join! The only cost is to keep track of the loot you collect so we can get a final loot table! Just fill out the application form above. Membership will remain open to new members as long as Santa's workshop remains open to claim chests!

As you explore Santa's workshop, use the screenshot shortcut (F2) to take quick screenshots your full inventory screen before and after opening each chest in case items stack. You can then:
    • record the X, Y, and Z coordinate, description, and exact loot you grabbed in a simple text file
    • send a link to a spreadsheet with at least chests and loot if you have one, or
    • just send over all the screenshots, if you are sure that coordinates and before/after loot information is clearly visible.
    The obligation starts at the time of joining. For any past chests, please just do your best to remember those if you can. If you don't have coordinates of some chests, I will do my best to match them but it definitely helps!

The Christmas event last year was still open past February 12th so there should be plenty of time. All of the above will keep up to date throughout the event. Be sure to provide your loot information to help others and keep your pledge strong!

8. Finished finding all the chests. Some tough ones this year :D Thanks again for an amazing build!
  9. The build looks awesome!:eek::eek:
    Doing parkour on the laptop though.... :(

/me hoping that the event won't end before I manage to get back to my PC at the end of January
    ThaKloned and MoreMoople like this.
  10. Enjoyed this event immensely this evening scouring high and low for those chests! Still not sure where I missed it, but surely enough even after several hours of grinding away at it with a couple friends, we still ended up with 24/25.

Well worth every minute of the hunt. It was fun, and that was all we came for.
    We'll have to see if we can find that last one to put our puzzled minds at ease!

Thank you build team for putting it together!!!
    ThaKloned and MoreMoople like this.
  11. === Update For Santa's Smart Elves ===

We have now located and compiled the full list of all 25 chests! Detailed instructions are now available to get to any chest with screenshots coming soon!

The full list is available for free to all members who provide the locations of 17 or more chests! (Alternatively you can recruit 3 of your friends to join.) Send your list and we will tell you exactly which ones you're missing!

We are also starting the process of putting together a loot table for each chest. This will be available January 5th to all members who provide the locations of 12 or more chests! (Or recruit 2 of your friends to join.) Don't forget to keep track of what loot you got from any claimed chests!

To join, just fill out the following and send to azoundria via private message here on the forums:
    The club is 100% free to join! The only cost is to keep track of the loot you collect so we can get a final loot table! Just fill out the application form above. Membership will remain open to new members as long as Santa's workshop remains open to claim chests!

As you explore Santa's workshop, use the screenshot shortcut (F2) to take quick screenshots your full inventory screen before and after opening each chest in case items stack. You can then:
    • record the X, Y, and Z coordinate, description, and exact loot you grabbed in a simple text file
    • send a link to a spreadsheet with at least chests and loot if you have one, or
    • just send over all the screenshots, if you are sure that coordinates and before/after loot information is clearly visible.
    The obligation starts when you join. For past chests, please just do your best to remember those if you can. If you don't have coordinates of some chests, I will do my best to match them but it definitely helps!

The Christmas event last year was still open past February 12th so there should be plenty of time. There's no need to rush and claim chests quickly, but if you do claim any be sure to provide your loot information to help others and keep your pledge strong!

12. Azoundria, did the January 5th folks get their update?

13. Yes. All access links have now been sent out.
  14. maaan, getting 4 bricks where other people got 5 steel ingots stings. :/

edit: not the same chest - now that I re-checked - but still I seem to have had horrible luck all around, despite being fully kitted out with lvl 4 witch gems and padded fur

15. === Top 17 Chests Chosen ===

All chests have now been sorted by average loot value to reveal the top 17. These are the chests which will be used for the walkthrough event and speed run contest. We have tons of data on every chest! Way more than anticipated! Thanks so much everyone who contributed their bit! And more data is still coming in!

=== Walkthrough Event Sunday ===

The walkthrough event will start at 9 PM EMC time on Sunday January 14th. If you want to be a guide (help other players) you should join a bit earlier at 8:40 PM EMC time. It will be at /event on server to be announced. I expect it will last an hour or two, although it's more drop-in if you're just a player.

=== Speed-Run Contest Status ===

We are up to 8 official sign-ups. If that reaches 11 sign-ups then the speed-run contest is a go! We just need 3 more full members! Please feel free to:
    • recruit friend (A great way - just ask your friends in chat if they did the event yet and go from there.),
    • fill out the full application if you didn't yet, and/or
    • provide chests (at least 7) if you haven't yet.
    Assuming the event is a go (we reach the membership goal of 3 more members), I will prepare the prize pool and set up donation chests if anyone wants to donate additional prizes. The deadline for video submissions will be midnight January 16th-17th EMC time and you are free to start your production any time! More information on the video/contest is described above.
    ultipig likes this.

16. would the luck items even work in the event? such a bizarre thought I would never have had.

I too seem to have not the best of luck with these type of chests. But anything I get is better than the nothing I had before.

market chat/

And if you hate, hate that terracotta that you got ... sell it to Katy on smp8 at /v 17971 clay <--- direct address :cool: for those of you who don't like to wander through my "K"haos right now.

/End market chat

17. Thank you, was fun!
    MoreMoople likes this.