[EVENT] Clover's Interior Design Competition - Kitchen Edition

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by CloverOcean, Aug 16, 2017.

1. is the poll up?
    CloverOcean likes this.
  2. 607 likes this.
  3. So yeah... Wasn't sure if I should already post this but then again, why not ;)

I had planned to perform my judging duties last weekend but all sorts of stuff kept coming in between, but eventually I finally told myself that I should do this first, I spotted Aya coming online and we soon hopped over to SMP1. Time to explore some kitchen designs, and have some fun of course!

:D

We set out to look around a bit and I have to say that although I do have my personal favorites (obviously) I also think everyone did an amazing job! The entries really look nice and it was fun to explore them all.

Not much later TomvanWijnen also joined us and we had a good time looking and goofing around a bit :)

Now, I won't share any of my scores, but I would like to reveal my personal favorites.

Shell's #1
    Floorfne

When I stepped into this it felt like stepping into an old (medieval?) tavern. I really like the atmosphere which this build has. Of course it doesn't help that I'm a huge fan of fantasy sceneries and also have a ditto sized amount of imagination. But I could already imagine us getting inside the kitchen after a long walk through the cold weather, only to be greeted by the warm fireplace and the available amount of chairs.

I also liked the attention for details. That fireplace for example isn't just placed there. If this were real then it could be used by both the kitchen staff (to cook or keep things warm) but also by everyone inside to keep warm.

Shell's #2
    Finch_rocks

A modern kitchen with a bit of a nostalgic theme applied to it. The fridge and the several shelves to keep things stored are a very interesting touch, and we also enjoyed the use of all the deco heads. That often really added up (look on the shelf above Aya for example).

The kitchen had fun appliances and even provides room to actually store quite a bit of your stuff (think ingredients) as well. That's sometimes missing in few entries: where does all your stuff go? ;)

And the use of end rods for candles is also a very interesting touch.

Shell's #3
    MoreMoople

Aya and me soon referred to this entry as "Modern Moople" ;) It has a bit of a modern feel to it and we enjoyed that. The glass table is a nice touch, and the small tables near the windows also gives an inviting feel to it. Several appliances, even storage to put your stuff away.... It is a nice solid build and we enjoyed it. I also noted the use of the glazed terracotta blocks which gave the whole thing an interesting touch as well.

Shell's honorable mentions

First is courtesy of Aya:
    TheBossGamer

Aya really enjoyed the way the terracotta blocks were used to give this a specific look. We both also noticed the way the windows (or corners) were filled up which also added to the overall feel.

Second is something we both appreciated:
    Skyelil

Not really a kitchen but we enjoyed the building nonetheless. It was definitely something which stood out from the rest :p So I decided that Skyelil should get a small extra prize, therefor we sent you something by mail. Be sure to do /mail next time you come online! :)

And there you go, our favorite kitchens :)

If you'd like to vote on your favorite entries then be sure to check out this link (the voting section where everyone can vote).
    Floorfne, 607, finch_rocks_1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Also to add to shelly mine has a small info booth on how to get certain stuff put together that normally can't (such as powered iron traps with no power or the minecart counters).

Be sure to check those out to add to your own designs!
  5. I don't mean to sway any opinions, so i'm gonna spoiler this for the judges until they have final decisions set up lol

So honestly although I would like to win an iron voucher (Working towards gold voucher so i can get an extra res! :D) I don't really care that much. Lately I've been more focused on doing builds for others, so the only other thing I really care about is winning some Rupees just so I can fix my budget after some expensive projects I have completed recently. *looks at luckycmusic45*
    :p

Also I partook in this just to help show off my skills, considering:
    1. My res location is remote compared to others, so if i get any visitors its either:
    a. new players next to me
    b. people just wandering around the smp
    c. friends
    2. I can't really do a build showcase type thing considering all I have done on the server recently are trees and a boat racetrack. although what i have done is decently interesting, I think it would get passed over like my res.
    3. Build Comps are my only way to show others what I can do, considering the other factors stated above. Otherwise i'm mainly just ignored.

Would also like to note that yes, this is the first time I have actually built a kitchen for aesthetic. Literally any other world I have that has a kitchen is just the standard furnace and crafting table. (Pet Peeve is empty, unused space in a minecraft house, bugs the heck out of me and I am determined to use it in some way that it doesn't look empty)

If you have read thus far, don't change your opinion on my build or change how I placed. You were warned before the spoiler ;)
    also wanna note to just maintain equal voting without bias if you want to reply to this either pm me or spoiler your comment as well!!!
    ShelLuser and CloverOcean like this.
  6. this was so much fun to participate in :D
    ShelLuser and CloverOcean like this.
  7. I love the pictures Shel! Thanks for such wonderful and detailed descriptions!

And I'm very glad you had fun Arkon! I absolutely love your Kitchen and am happy to have it on display! :D
    ArkonXT, 607 and ShelLuser like this.