[Event] Chess Tournament, Sponsored by Star Events

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by SteamingFire, Jan 20, 2022.

1. The chess tournaments will be handed over to Star Events. See comments for details.
    Original post below
    ---

Are you ready for some

*arena still under construction

Chess?!
    smp1 /v +chess
    *The tag isn't ready yet. Right now, it's smp1 /v +SFbooks, with a teleport tree on the left to the Chess Arena

That's right, folks, EMC now has a chess tournament arena! Not hosted by staff, but rather hosted by SteamingFire, sponsored by Star Events. A player-run chess arena!

We're getting ready to receive you on February 4th - February 6th. What's that, it's multi-day? That's right, folks!
    Since most of EMC seems to be active on weekend nights and SteamingFire works on weekends, we have settled for doing multi-day tournaments. The next tournament will be on

Friday, February 4th, 8:30pm - 10:30pm EMC time
    and if needed, continue on
    Saturday, February 5th, 8:30pm - 10:30pm
    and if needed, continue on
    Sunday, February 6th, 8:30pm - 10:30pm

For a total of 6 hours of chess!

Everyone is welcome to spectate! We have bleachers along the sides of each board and a glass gallery to view all boards at once!
    To participate in chess, you must sign up by replying to this thread. Keep in mind that if you sign up, you are saying that you will be available for the whole 6 hours. I'm not sure if all 6 hours will be needed; this will be the first run!

Board A: belac555
    Board B:
    Board C:
    Board D:
    Board E:
    Board F:
    Board G:
    Board H:
    Board I:
    Board J:
    Board K:
    Board L:
    Board M:
    Board N:
    Board O:
    Board P:

If the game needs to pause between days, perms for each board will be turned off and the next move will be privately noted down, similar to a sealed envelope.

So, what do you get for playing?
    Here's a breakdown of the rewards (assuming that 32 people fill all boards):
    Round 1) 32 players. 16 losers get 1k each, 16 winners get 2k each
    Round 2) 16 players. 8 losers get 2k each, 8 winners get 4k each
    Round 3) 8 players. 4 losers get 4k each, 4 winners get 8k each
    Round 4) 4 players. 2 losers get 8k each, 2 winners get 16k each
    Round 5) 2 players. Loser gets 25k. Winner gets 100k, contents of the donations box, and a written book of congratulations. If applicable, they will also receive unique Chess Cheese heads. These are only available for the first 6 grandmasters, as there are 6 unique chess pieces (white and black will be given together). All together, the first 6 grandmasters will be able to play with a full Chess Cheese set!

As you can see, even if you lose right off the bat, you'll still get 1k! If you win, you take away a nice sum and some extra niceties! So, what are you waiting for?

This could be you!

Sign-ups start now!
    Sign-ups end on February 2nd

Rules of the tournament:

1. It's touch-move, or in this case, break-move. As soon as you break a chess piece to move it, you must move that piece. The exception is if you don't know which chess piece is which, and must confirm by looking at the piece. If you do this, you must tell your opponent beforehand. If you fail to tell them, then you are moving that piece no matter what (unless of course the move is illegal).
    2. I will allow everyone to break all of the chess pieces before the first round in order to see which piece is which. This is the only time that you are allowed to break the pieces to look at without telling anyone.
    3. You must know the basic rules of chess, i.e. how the pieces move, what moves are possible, and when some moves are not possible.
    4. You are not allowed to make a move that puts your king into immediate danger. This means that you cannot move your king into a position that causes it to be checked or checkmated. This means that for someone to win chess, they must force your king into checkmate, or pressure you into forfeiting.
    5. Please confine your tournament talk to res chat and PMs.
    6. You must say "checkmate", but other calls such as "check" and "garde" are not needed.
    7. No draws except for the last round. If the last two players call for a draw, then they will both be crowned Grandmaster and will split the losing and winning rupee rewards for 62,500r each. The two Grandmasters must decide between themselves who gets what from the donations box, and who gets which color of Chess Cheese pieces if applicable.
    8. The Grandmaster's written book will be rewarded after the tournament, as I need to incorporate details of the tournament won into the book.
    9. I don't have a way to watch over all 16 boards. Therefore, this game runs on the honor code. If you and your opponent have a squabble, first ask any spectator to help resolve your problem. You may call me over if there's still a problem after.
    10. There's no official time limit outside of the 2 hours per day, but please try to make your moves within a timely manner.
    11. When I call "time" for the end of the day, you must stop what you're doing. If you're in the middle of a move, finish the move. If you're mid-game, I will stop by your board to store the conquered pieces and take down the next moves. Please do not leave your board until I turn off your build perms and count all of the pieces.
    12. If the 6 hours happen to end in the middle of the last round, then there is a draw. If the 6 hours happen to end before the last round, then for the last round played, everyone will receive the loser's earnings and there will be no Master or Grandmaster for that tournament.
    13. You may not leave the arena with any chess pieces. For every chess piece that you take, even if it was accidental and only for a second, you owe me 1k. You better keep track of your pieces like you mean it.
    14. Rounds must be played in order at the same time. Meaning, round 2 can only happen after all round 1 games have finished. If your game has finished and you're waiting on the next round, feel free to do as you please. It is your responsibility to pay attention to chat and return for the next round.
    15. If someone fails to show up for their game, then their opponent automatically gets the win. Failing to show up for their game means that they still haven't showed up by the time that all other games for that round have finished. Failing to show up for the last round means being more than 10 minutes late.
    16. For players, white and black will be assigned. White moves first.
    607 likes this.
  2. I'm In!
    SteamingFire likes this.
  3. Interesting!
    I'm hoping the best for your tournament, but I personally find it hard to keep my concentration for 15 minutes of chess, let alone two hours. But I know that some people have no issue with it, such as my brother!
  4. You only need to concentrate during your own games >_> You're free to space out in between them :D
  5. Hey guys, I have covid again. Given the circumstances, I decided to hand over everything to Star Events. I am discussing with them about material transferring, and gave them a detailed description of how to run the alternative self-regulated tournament, which I believe they are more likely to use. The self-regulated tournament allows players to play out their matches on their own time, within a period of one month per round, thus removing most time constraints. Please follow Star Events for updates. Stay safe!