ETA of 1.8?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by neonkillah, Jan 12, 2015.

?

Is this a fairly O.K. forum to post this thread into? I wasn't sure about that.

Yes 30 vote(s) 93.8%
Nope (call a mod) 2 vote(s) 6.3%
  1. It's not one's survival I'm concerned about - it's the fact that the m/c continues irrespestive (been there - done that!)
  2. My point isn't people's deaths either. It is that I don't see many of them being used in a way that is dangerous. I don't think people are going to afk on them, because it isn't a safe thing to do. I know there is concern about it being a problem for server resources. But, as far as I know, things that are not inside a chunk loaded by a player stop working on a server. I just see a lot of worry over nothing.
  3. I think actually it is 15 chunks if I remember my railway signalling problems correctly:rolleyes:
  4. You are talking about riding in one of these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWiKdWHvnA

They aren't even close to the speed of a minecart so I would not consider using one for traveling any serious distance. It was hard to estimate in the video, but you are traveling maybe one per second? It is like a noisy steam punk caterpillar.

I'm not sure how I would go about measuring the Redstone activation distance, at least on my own. Once you aren't close enough to activate them any longer they should stop, and I would expect that if you logged out then back in while on one of these are running you may glitch through and fall to your death.

On the other hand, I can think of a lot of ways something like that might make an interesting portable scaffolding or bridge to use in the nether, assuming it doesn't glitch you through into the lava. Sort of a Minecraft version of a covered battering ram:
    Battering_ram.jpg

One of the major lag causing things that has been cited in this thread was Cane farms. The design in the front in the screenshot below replaces fifteen Pistons with two to harvest a row of Cane. The one in the back is a mock up of my Cane farm which would replace every eight Pistons with one:
    2015-01-16_18.43.32.png

My Cane farm uses 704 Pistons. Using Slime Blocks in the way I have shown above, I could run it with 44 Pistons removing 660 lag-causing Pistons from my build, or almost 94% of the Pistons. I could build 15 more farms with those.

Rather than concentrate on the fear that we are going to have flying lag machines running amok all over the server, I'd rather focus on the resourceful and imaginative ways people are going to use this and other new blocks.
  5. Lets be clear, I never said we aren't updating.

I said we have to wait to update because once we do, its fire fighting mode and NOTHING else will get done for a while. So I would rather finish smaller things off the list before locking ourselves back into a 'just trying to get us back stable' mode.
  6. I am glad to see that people are ready to try new things. We are not yet sure how these issues will play out, but it's helpful to know that many of our builders are open to new ideas.
  7. This is kind of funny... Close to the OP post, I saw someone say "It's never coming." Well, hello there, Mr.Optimist. Just because Dragon Tombs haven't come out for three years doesn't mean that EMC is going to take three years to update to 1.8. Because by then, we will probably be at least at 1.8.7+, or even 1.9+. Then what will be the point of updating? So please, Mr.Optimist. Don't say it is never coming just because another thing has yet to come. We will update, and Dragon Tombs will come out! (No offense was meant, I see exactly where you were coming from.)
    jkjkjk182 and sonicol1 like this.
  8. just to point at a very small part of what you said; Nathan Adams tweeted (atleast once) that he is already working on 1.9... so I don't think we'll see many 1.8.X before 1.9
    Galantisizer likes this.
  9. That would lower the costs of the farms significantly, also
  10. It ocurred to me to mention it, but it didn't really relate to the discussion and I am not so sure I could make a good argument for cost.

I expect that if there is increased interest in Slime after the update more people will farm Slime(or already are in preparation) which may in turn cause the price may go down through competition. Currently, the Rupee cost of Slime over Sticky Pistons is about double in my opinion.

If you are collecting the materials yourself, the collection time and crafting are probably in the favor of Slime, since it is all the same item to collect and craft compared to the 5 different materials that go into a Sticky Piston.

The potential reduction in server overhead seems much more important. If you are using Stickies, you are removing over 90% of the moving parts along with the supporting Redstone. There is probably some added overhead from the Slime Blocks being connected and moving but I hope that that more makes up for what is being replaced. If I knew how to measure the difference I'd try building a test. I am anxious to see what happens once we can use it.
  11. I heard spigot for 1.8 is out, but EMC still needs to update its plugins.

ps: I only read the OP

edit: added the ps and fixed grammatical errors
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.