[Established] Matsushiro outpost (Catslair extension)

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by AyanamiKun, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Its on SMP9 and within 2500 blocks from Catslair outpost, but that is owned by ShelLuser & me.

Matsushiro founders would be ShelLuser & me (AyanamiKun). And the reason why Im really hoping I can claim this is shown in the background ^.^ I locked a chest.

This is overview of the outpost area:

OMG, 3 Monuments?! :eek:
    AncientTower likes this.
  2. Approved
    ShelLuser and AyanamiKun like this.
  3. Thx a lot! this is kinda of a big thing to me so im very happy! ^.^
  4. The story behind Matsushiro outpost

Hi gang!

Right now I almost feel like a little kid who just saw his toy collection getting expanded with a heap of new things to play with :cool:

But I also feel a little bit "guilty"; I mean, we already had an established outpost (Catslair) and here we are again. Wasn't one outpost good enough for us? Well, sure, more than enough even. However... We also saw an opportunity and tried to take it, which now succeeded.

The main reason why we decided to try our luck is this:

In case you don't recognize it: this is an ocean monument. And to make things even more interesting there's another monument only 500 blocks away from this one (this one is approx. 100 or so blocks away from Matsushiro itself). That was an opportunity we just couldn't ignore.

Look for a jungle and find an ocean monument ;)

It's a funny story... After 1.12 kicked in Aya went to check on the Catslair outpost and was wondering if there might be a Jungle biome nearby. We explored quite a bit of the surroundings already but not everything. So she set out and explored a wider area. At first the main land and suddenly she found a huge river. Made a boat, set sail and wham... After finding nothing much of interest she eventually decided to head back and roughly 2k away from Catslair she suddenly stumbled upon those monuments. Not much later she discovered an island nearby and that reminded her of something else...

My Minecraft adventure thingie. Don't think for a moment that either of us have forgotten about that one or that I have abandoned it, no way. There was simply an unsolved problem: in the last parts we were on an island, and Catslair is mostly mainland. So when Aya discovered 2 ocean monuments and a small island which reminded us both of the small island we used to have close to the EMC outpost...

This claim wasn't made just to expand Catslair outpost, we have some serious plans for all this!

A brief tour

As mentioned, the main part of Matsushiro is an island:

It's fully lit up with torches and much to our delight some animals have spawned. We now have 2 sheep, 2 cows and 2 chickens which we're going to pen in really soon.

Both outposts are connected through a nether tunnel. Here you see the entrance to a staircase down which leads to the mine and the nether portal.

Here is a small substation, mainly used for smelting. We also made (rough) preparations to make a small storage here as well. The plan is to use Matsushiro for a little more mining activities (in comparison to Catslair).

Nether hub. It's nothing special yet, apart from the stone brick platform and a rather long slabbed pathway all the way back to the Catslair nether hub. Fortunately the 8:1 difference works in the Frontier; this tunnel is approx. 350 blocks long while it covers an overworld distance of 2500blocks.

Matsushiro Bay. We're planning on using the left side area to make a nice main building (a better protected and more permanent storage) while leaving the rest mostly as-is. The plan is to add some kind of a harbor-like build (but not with any ships though).

This area is approx. 300 blocks out from the main island.

Just to give you guys a bit of an impression....

Behind Aya (right side) is Matsushiro bay

And here you see Aya from the main land (at the exact same spot as above)

So there you have it. This is the story behind the claim of Matsushiro.

Our two outposts will also be the only ones we're going to claim because... well... this is going to keep us busy for months, and probably a whole lot longer too!
    khixan likes this.
  5. A Matsushiro adventure :)

Hi gang!

Around our outposts (Aya's & mine) we play survival. Which means that we don't bring items into the outpost, but instead try to make due with everything we manage to get in the Frontier. We more or less have to because right now we don't have an easy way out to visit the wastelands (didn't bother with a nether rail just yet, we might though). Thing is: we're both happy with this setup, survival play in a vanilla+ way? We think it's awesome :)

So last week we slowly but steadily prepared for taking down the Elder Guardians in the ocean monument. You know: fishing to get puffer fish so that we could brew water breathing potions, building a netherwart farm so that we can do any brewing at all, hunting zombie pigmen to try and get gold drops from them (also from mining) for the golden carrots, getting coal & wood and plenty of stone to make some kind of connection between Matsushiro and the ocean monument.

Today it was time to head out and do some serious work on Aya's outpost!

Why do I always have to do the walking? ;)

Now... I probably have a weird playing style but I like to do plenty of preparations before just jumping in and killing the guardians. So we started with building a small mining base on top of the monument. This serves several puposes: it keeps us safe from the guardian beams, it provides a respawn point, and the moment we no longer suffer from mining fatique we can dig down and start clearing up the monument from there (we don't have a strategy for this one yet).

As such we went to work...

This is basically a platform with a 2 block high wall and a dirt "platform" at the back where we grow trees so that we get easy building materials. Next the usual things: furnaces, locked double chest, bed, etc.

Next I also wanted to have some kind of easier transport; using a boat all the time gets tedious and so we cooked up several stacks of slabs and build a bridge (seen on the left).

Now... I don't necessarily like the design (I always have a thing with floating structures, it should have pillars to keep the thing upright) but that's ok for now because this is just temporary. The official connection will be an underwater passage way with a glass roof so that you can look into the water and which will end right inside the monument.

But that's for later, in the mean time we'll have to make due with a sky bridge and I need to resist the urge for 'pillaring' :D

While I was working on the bridge Aya cleaned up the island a bit and started rounding up all the animals. And in no time we had some nice animal pens:

However... While Aya was working on all this (making a pen, then leading animals into those with a lead) more animals spawned. Eventually leading up a pig sneaking into the chicken pen just when Aya wasn't looking ;)

We're probably going to eggify him (or her?) for a quick (permanent) rename, and then let him stay in the chicken pen ;) We both think this is kinda funny (I saw the pig walk into the pen myself, none of us pushed it in or such). In case you're wondering: there was a strip of dirt blocks right next to the side of the pens, that's how the pig could get in.

Next stop: killing the Elder Guardians :eek:

We decided that Aya was going to go down and kill them, also because Aya has the best set of tools (iron voter tools). Well, it wasn't easy...

But after a long fight Aya managed to kill all three of them :cool:

Unfortunately there wasn't a sponge room in this monument (none that we managed to discover so far, we're not sure if we covered the whole thing yet) but we did get 3 sponges from the Elder Guardians, so that will definitely help us out a bit.

And the 8 golden blocks will be perfect to make more golden carrots, which we're going to need when we continue working on drying & cleaning the monument.

Next stop? Well....

As it turns out Matsushiro island sits right in the middle of 2 outposts. We briefly lost track of the other, but once we managed to kill the guardians in the first one we set out to look for the other. Took us 10 or so minutes, but eventually....

And this is why I enjoy survival play so much: as much as we want to take this one down right away we simply can't. We don't have enough potions left, and we also have no puffer fish in storage. So... back to the drawing board, we'll have to properly prepare for this one before we can take it down.

But hey, as said, that's the way I like it. Because this gives us something to look out for! And that keeps EMC fun to play on.