EMC Shop Database

Discussion in 'Products, Businesses, & Services Archives' started by raenis, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you already implemented a "thumbs-up" or "recommendation" system?
  2. What browser/version are you using? It works fine for me in IE 8 (though half the styles don't work. IE == derp!), FF 11, and Chrome 17.0.963.79.

And no, I haven't included a rating system yet.
  3. I'm on Chrome 17.0.963.79.
  4. It should work fine then, unless the page didn't fully load or something. I just compiled that list of browsers immediately after you posted the issue, so I know it should work in that version of Chrome.
  5. Still doesn't work. I've gotten on a different computer (with a different OS), tried different browsers, the whole deal. There is a dropdown menu, just doesn't look like there's anything in it.
  6. It works for me and I'm running the same version of Chrome you are.
  7. raenis do you have a confirmation dialog when the "Delete my shop" link is clicked? It could say something like, "Are you sure you want to delete your shop? This cannot be undone." I don't want to try clicking the link to see because I don't want to delete my shop. :D That way, if you accidentally click the link, your shop isn't deleted.
  8. Although I have it fairly well spelled out that clicking to delete your shop is a one way ticket and can't be reversed, I suppose a prompt that pops up in your face to tell you that if you say you want to do this, you really WILL lose your shop listing wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll add one in today.
  9. Yeah I know I saw the text. I was just thinking that most websites usually have confirmation dialogs for stuff like this because you can't undo your action. Plus, it's a link and most of the time, links just jump to other pages...they don't perform "write" actions.
  10. This is usually true. So yeah, I'll definitely add a prompt dialogue that pops up when you click it, giving you one last chance to decide before committing to the action.
  11. I might have had the same problem, I couldn't read the text unless I highlighted it - I had assumed it was my GTK theme (using Chrome in Linux).
  12. Maybe the dark background of the webpage causes issues with the default styling that certain browsers on certain operating systems give to dropdown lists.
  13. I've never known drop-down selection boxes to get their text highlighted when selected via text selection. I'm running a page of it through browsershots.org to see if any default browser configurations on different OS types render differently. Chrome and Firefox at least should render nearly the same whether on linux or windows. The styling rules for the input, textarea and select tags are fairly simple:
    Code:
    input, textarea, select {
        border: 1px solid #999;
        color: #eeeeee;
        background-color: #333333;
        padding: 5px 5px;
    }
    If anything the only thing can think of that would cause a thing like that would be if you had a user-defined stylesheet and have it set to override the styles written by the site's creator.

Partially related: I'm looking into setting up a bug tracker to centralize the location of issue reports. Would probably make life easier.
  14. Here's a screenshot of the part in my webbrowser:
    sshot.png

it looks like the other unhighlighted options are very light grey. I'm almost certain that this is to do with my GTK theme and not something that can be fixed on your end, as it's a fairly common issue I've had with websites.
  15. Maybe the text color that is defined in the CSS (#eeeeee) is also being applied to the text when the dropdown list is clicked, which is why apamment can only see the items when they are highlighted (like with "SMP4" in the screenshot)
  16. This is looking really cool :)
    BloodDisciple, shavingfoam and raenis like this.
  17. That would make sense - it's taking the text colour from the CSS, but not the background colour so it's really hard to read.
  18. Ah, well that illuminates things. Looks like it's using the CSS to style the actual element on the page, but then fails to style the actual drop down area except for text color. Windows versions of Chrome apply the style to the drop down area of the select element as well, so it appears with the same grey background the base select element has. The text probably IS very light grey, because the style calls for it to be #eeeeee, which is a single step off from white. That said, if I add the option element to the list of styled tags in that rule, maybe it'll work fine...

EDIT: Ok, I added a color and background rule for the <option> tag, so let me know if that makes a difference for you, apamment.
  19. That's your call, I've learned to live with it, and there probably aren't that many people here with the same setup as me. I only posted because I thought it might have been the same issue as SecretAznEcks had.
  20. And it may have been. I added styles for the <option> tags in the select element, so I'm hoping that alleviates the issue there. Not very easy to create a shop when you can't see the servers you can choose to create it on.
    apamment likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.