EMC Pricing Survey?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by M4ster_M1ner, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh okay - I was thinking that ... but honestly I think wither skulls are a better deal than having to deal with making withers ....
    1. You can use them for a mask for fun
    2. You can let others have the pleasure of killing withers themselves
    3. It's economically cheaper for the buyers
  2. We are evaluating the economy solely to evaluate the economy. Why is that not an acceptable answer? It's no different than checking up on the server to make sure it is performing effectively.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of the economy is controlled by players - in its most basic form. Supply and Demand. For a year I've watched (while rarely purchasing) items increase and decrease. You know what has a huge effect on the economy? Glitches. Yup... a glitch that causes slimes to be ridiculously rare will skyrocket the price, duping glitches lower the price, etc.

Everyone says Aikar hates the economy. But prior to his implementation of entity limiting, natural mobs were extremely difficult to come by. Bones and Arrows sold quickly and at a decent price. Slimeball prices were through the roof. So, his fix has brought those levels back to a more affordable level. Now, some players may be upset by this - mostly the players who strive to be "rich." Others may love it, because they can stay in town and build some amazing creations with sticky pistons. And others just may not care. It's all ok.

And lets not forget, you can get everything you need in the wild, for the amazing price of...FREE.
    Maxarias and IcecreamCow like this.
  3. I put that ^_^
  4. How true is that
  5. Sounds dangerous. There's these green guys in the wild that run up on a moose and hiss.
    HylianNinja and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. Great, now I'm ruining the economy just my making the wild balanced.
  7. Nah. Change and ruination aren't necessarily the same things.
  8. That was a COMPLIMENT! You're soooo silly.
    PandasEatRamen and jkjkjk182 like this.
  9. It is more than acceptable. It is a hope for a change, hope for a good solution for the flaws and problems.

This is the good part of it. Changing that (or interfering with other natural laws of economy) would ruin, or simply "cancel" the "economy."

Why economy? Because people like it so much - they like to play economy.
    Because it makes a community, it is one of the main factors that really brings the people together on EMC, it is why people on EMC do need each other. "It's psychology."

The community develops the economy and the economy develops the community.

It seems to me that most of those glitches were not software bugs, but "glitches" made by people.
    Some of them while trying to "improve" the game by making it easier.

So why do most people like (playing) economy so much, in spite of realizing sooner or later that it is a flawed one-way system [...] and not really a rouded up economy?
    I think the answers are pretty obvious.
    IMO, economy is an essential part of EMC, a crucial bond of the community.
    If the community is the main focus of EMC (is it?), then the economy can be no less in focus.
    I'd say - save it if and while you can.

The economy is important, but it is not the only prerequisite for a community. There are also other things needed. The sum of it all is called politics, and means like "handling of common matters."
    Common -> Community. Community forms around common matters.
    Good economy, good financial politics, good social politics ...

For a good community, you need good politics.
  10. Exactly the points of the survey.

:)
  11. I have to agree with M4n1c, the economy is huge part of EMC. I know that the current plans by IcC are to strengthen the community, and that is a very good goal, but i personally feel like making the economy "less immediate" or "less important" could really hurt the bonds we have. I mean, probably the first thing i said in town chat was "where can i get _____?" So, whether we like it or not, the economy is what brings people in contact, and it is also what prompts the "noobs" into actually using chat. Had it not been for the extremely competitive economy, it would have taken much longer for people like me to actually combine with the rest of the community. Look at the past in "real life." People used to have to go to the general stores to get all their necessities, which ended up being the main form of town communication. When the Sears catalog came out, all of the sudden, communication between the towns people dropped significantly. Easier access to items and purchasing them significantly harmed the community bond. Im not against the shop update, not at all. Im am only against majorly downplaying the economy to a point where it isnt nearly as important as it used to be.
  12. Nononononono. You don't just ruin it by making the wild balanced... every step you takes ruins it... surely that's obvious? /sarcasm

Anyway, a few things:

Firstly, here's my amazing-forumla-thingy to price items: what you want to pay * 1
    Oh, and here's it for 64 of an item: what you want to pay for 64 of an item * 1
    See, very complex formulas!

Secondly, personally I couldn't care less what the results are used for. Chances are, they won't be used for the upcoming EmpireSellIcecreamCowOnEbay.jar features, and probably not the EmpireLetsAllEatMax.jar features either. Ohh... let's think what it could actually be used for? Maybe it could be something that is helpful for us all! If it's the shop update, then tada, shop price stuff. If it's part of Chickeneer's plan to make chickens cost 1000000r each, then there ya go. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad...
  13. peep.peep.peep.
  14. You have to go by server really too.

Also I need to talk to you in game, choose a server and I will come to you.
  15. Next time, just write on my wall if you need/want me online. But yes, I agree that server can matter. :)
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  16. Because people freak out over the smallest change in routine maybe? I dunno.

Haha
    "Come to SMP5 for Mob Arena!" "Oh man, there goes Aikar ruining the economy again!"
    "I'm implementing this plugin that will help us with performance issues." "There goes the economy!"
    "I'm taking a vacation with Max." "OUR ECONOMY IS DOOOOMED!"
  17. We're getting a new shopping system, where we can type a simple command and buy an item we want for a price we want if it exists in somebody's shop.
    A new shop database sort of thing? (The current one is quite literally dead)
  18. Surely you knew that the Mob Arena is just a way to mass activate EmpireAikarStealAllTheRupees.jar? It looks like the staff are onto it though...
    2012-11-30_19.45.11.png
    ^That's what happens every time he mentions mob arena in the staff channel...
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  19. HylianNinja, jkjkjk182, Aikar and 3 others like this.
  20. We're not making the economy less important than it currently is. The shop update in the future will in fact give it MORE of a boost than it does now. We're just pushing out there that EMC is NOT an economy or "Store" server exclusively. We're a survival community WITH a shop feature. :)

Our other plans which will strengthen the community ties with adventures and survival will make these shop debates seem very minuscule. :)
    jkjkjk182 and SoulPunisher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.