EMC Censorship

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MeadMaker, May 4, 2015.

1. If you remember the details, I'd love for you to message me them so I can look into this and correct actions on the staff side so that we get on the same page.
  2. Who likes cheesecake? :)
  3. Yes, and that's when it bugged me. But I realised they know what they're doing, and even if they wouldn't make the best choice for once, you should also accept that. Being a part of the EMC staff team is a tough job.
  4. I think we are afforded a lot of freedom in our points of view and comments. We're allowed to speak our mind on most topics. Much more than I would expect. I've seen some posts just magically disappear before, I'd prefer it didn't happen too often, but I understand when it does. Our forums are public and fully searchable by google till the end of time. It makes sense we may not want to keep up comments that out of context would seem negative. The future of EMC depends on financial support which only a small % of players are willing or able to provide. We need a fresh influx of new people to sustain. Our public facing forums support that.

All in all, I'm perfectly fine with the current level of censorship and with more if needed. We get more lead way than I'd expect :)
    607 and haastregt like this.
  5. I don't agree that you should always accept it. For the most part, yeah of course, but everyone makes mistakes. I did end up PMing kryssy about it though, even though I wasn't really looking to make a formal complaint. She validated how I felt and I feel as if it will be taken care of. Saying that though, I still feel people should voice their opinions if they feel something is wrong. No one is perfect.
    DubChef, 607 and autumnrain26 like this.
  6. I understand that people should be able to voice their opinions, but as I said, me voicing my opinion on this matter would be construed as causing drama as well as breaking several rules in the process.. :oops:
    georgeashington likes this.
  7. well there is voicing an opinion.. and then there is voicing a opinion.

you there pm'd krysyy about what happened there.. good.

you could have made a thread about it. and how the staff are all corrupt, cruel and censoring.

but you did not. you choose to go the way we prefer problems to go.

we can also go into the direction of.. what are opinions? and when do opinions of one person. simply become cruel?

while one person, might not think something to be cruel, someone else feels different. and that's why there is censoring. we are mostly impartial to other peoples arguments, or conflicts and we see it from the 3r'd prospective. and we can judge fairly. not everyone believes our conclusion is fair, specially when we don't agree whit them.
    607, Dwight5273, Manchildie and 2 others like this.
  8. Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps part of the problem is the limitations of the software. I have seen plenty of other online forums where posts were in fact censored or deleted in their entirety, but where there was some indication that such action had taken place and in many instances why the action was taken. If it is possible, I would suggest that you employ the same methods. The benefits to this include:

1. Keeping people from accusing you of arbitrarily or uncalled-for censorship.
    2. Public shaming of those who actually deserve to have their posts removed.

I think you could have made things a little more clear by your response to me personally, as my original post mentioned that posts had been removed, but you really did not explain that posts were not removed but "under review." Instead, by removing my own post and responding with "don't start drama" and "He broke the rules, there's nothing more to discuss" you seemed to convey the message "Shut up, don't question." rather than trying to calm things down and improve Staff-Player relations.

As for leaving feedback, "politely" can certainly go a long way. I think the above concessions by the originator of this particular controversy affirms that things could have been stated in a more constructive way and that emotion may have played its part.
    Kephras likes this.
  9. Kephras likes this.
  10. To add to this:
    I spent the morning re-reading that old "Have an issue?" thread (mostly to see where talk of censorship came up, but I seem to have mis-remembered some things and it wasn't really a topic there). Several pages of posts by theenigmaparadox were "moderated, due to rudeness" and left in place. From the responses of the other posts, it was quite clear he had flown off the handle and deserved the punishment given out.

And that is, IMO, how these instances should be handled. Don't just make posts (or entire threads) disappear, but moderate them as needed and make it clear why the post was edited. Rudeness, off-topic, "please don't cause drama," etc. I'm not saying Staff should feel compelled to step in and tweak our posts at will, but as Mead said it helps avoid all this "OMG TEH CENSORSHIPZ!" fuss and makes it clear to everyone reading why action was taken.
    fishmeal, PenguinDJ, 607 and 2 others like this.