Economy Chat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KiraShizumi, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Guys, let's not get too off topic.

Focus on the important stuff - spoons.

Kidding of course, Economy chat DOES need to be more promoted. Perhaps a message appears in chat when you say key words in town chat telling you to say it in Economy?
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  2. ...
    That spoon is still pretty useful.
  3. A small spoon, used for soup, with holes in it is useful?

People, come on.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  4. You never specified which type of spoon ;)
    607 likes this.
  5. It's like the holes in your underwear.
  6. It's entirely beside the point of this thread, of course, but holey spoons are useful in all shapes and sizes even if you don't agree.

But back on topic: Besides entirely killing off the economy channel, did you have any other possible solution to the issue? I'm curious if it is something that you had considered at length enough to envision alternative possibilities.
  7. Considering the Empire functioned just the same before Economy chat was implemented, I don't see why we keep it.

I just dislike being scolded for trying to sell something in town chat, just because there's a chat that nobody uses anyways.
  8. And besides, when someone speaks in Economy, can't you hear it in town anyways? So it's basically the same as talking in town chat to begin with.
  9. I think a detail you aren't considering is that you can turn economy chat off. You can hear it Town if you have it enabled, which it is by default. Some of us have it turned off so that it filters that chat out.

Before we had economy chat there were many complaints from people who did not want to see economy chat in town chat as it often gets spammy and is something they are not interested in. Their only way to avoid it was to either turn chat off completely, or leave town. When we limit our economy discussion in town chat to just what is necessary or use economy chat instead, it is a way to respect those people who do not enjoy playing the game this way.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  10. I believe Aikar has plans to make chat messages with certain keywords automatically enter Economy chat even if Town chat is selected

Personally, I think there's little to no harm in having it. People who don't like the economy-driven spam of chat can filter it all out, and those participating in the economy can have a central channel for discussion which requires very little effort to switch to.
  11. Good comment indeed, however there's one thing I'd like to add..

You're probably aware of this but even so; if the join/leave messages bother you then you can easily turn those off by using: /chat status off.

The down side to this is of course that you won't see anyone entering / leaving, not even your friends. But since most people say 'hi' in chat anyway that shouldn't be too much of a problem. This really helps me to focus on chat without all those distractions.
  12. And that's the part I can fully understand.

Thing is; you should always keep in mind that the moderators don't enforce the rules just to make themselves feel good about it. One thing I am convinced of is that most moderators don't even like having to step in.

This isn't only about what you do, but also about how others pick it up. The rules (and there aren't really that much on the Empire) have one single goal in mind: to make sure that we can all enjoy our gameplay. Which, in my opinion, really is what matters most.

Although I can see your point its also fair to say that you don't know if your messages in town chat annoyed any other players. And that's also something to consider.

Besides.. In all fairness, it isn't exactly that hard to use E chat either. A mere @e in front of your post is enough (no need for difficult /ch e commands).

Most of all: they allowed you and us to vent a little and speak our minds about it. I think that says something about this place too. I know places where threads like these would have been immediately removed and/or locked. Instead its not merely "follow the rules and be quiet about it" over here, and that's also something to keep in mind I think....
    607 likes this.
  13. Yup, and the downside makes it unserviceable for this situation as it is useful to know who joins and leaves. But of course, if it ever got bad enough to require that, then it is an option, so thank you for reminding me about that!
  14. The most I've ever seen people use Economy chat for is talking to others in Town chat, and then entirely disregarding people who tell him/her to use a different chat
  15. Yesterday was actually the first time I ever saw someone using economy chat. It even took me a while to realise what the light green E meant, because I hadn't heard anything about it since its release.
    It's indeed underused, I think, because I do still see people saying E things in T.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. Best quote of 2014!
    I use economy chat
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I see Economy chat in my Town chat. How does one filter it out?

and who exactly are these players that don't want to see people talking economy in town chat? economy is part of the town culture so it doesn't make sense to filter it out.

Now I could see players using local, res, or group chat and wanting to filter everything else out including town that. That could be useful if players don't want to be bothered.
  18. By 'hiding' the chat channel. You can do so using: /ch hide e, this would hide the economy chat. And obviously this works on other channels too; I've even hid town chat a few times because I couldn't follow what my friends were saying in group chat :)

You can show the channel again by using the show command: /ch show e.

I think its a thin blue line.

On one end I can understand that some players prefer the usage of the several available chat channels. So; if you're on a residence then it maybe better to use the R channel, if you're with a group of people it maybe better to use the L channel, and so on. It makes sense when talking to players close to you and other players in town won't get to see "confusing comments". For example "come over here!" where a newbie starts wondering if they addressed him or someone else.

But on the other hand; trying to regulate all that can also result in a pretty quiet town chat because everyone would be chatting in their own private areas. Which could become pretty boring as well.

So I think it sits pretty much in between. I personally also prefer the use of the E channel, at the very least because it makes you stand out a little from the regular chat.
    607 likes this.