Draaaaaaggggoooooon TTooooommmbsbbbbssssss

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ZBSDKryten, Jul 12, 2015.

1. I'd put it this way:

When Frontier update comes out with land claiming, protection and shops in the Frontier, I'll support EMC with at least $100.

Who is with me (regardless off the amount)?

Can we make some kind of crowd community funding for this?
    NathanRP, Gawadrolt and SoulPunisher like this.
  2. What I mean by "not as easy as everyone makes out to get it pushed out" is exactly what you just said - all of the stuff that Aikar has to put in place before it to actually get it all to run smoothly.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  3. I think the dev team, probably mostly Aikar would feel much less pressure and stressed, if either Dragon Tombs would be finally published very soon, the connected features where implemented a priori, or the whole DT would be dropped completely and just the features were implemented. (I have the impression that many people don't care about the dragon at all, but are waiting for wild teleport and protection, including me)

I am afraid that the next MC update will again involve many coding work for the Dev team, when they are done with fixing the Mojang bugs, the next update will come around, including more bug fixes and so on...Especially since MS is involved we can expect a surprise any time. (Correct me if I am wrong, am not up to date with this)

This was discussed many times before and Aikar was very clear that he will push his vision of DT through, no matter what. Quite a slap for all the wilderness and outpost lovers.

@Aikar: Wouldn't you feel better if this was eventually over and you could solely focus on the regular tasks of maintenance and other extensions?
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  4. I suggested this awhile back, needless to say the staff said no. Aikar is very persistent on getting Dragon Tombs out.
    That's hardly a slap after what he did when he messed up mob spawning and us outpost lovers had creepers everywhere, even in places where everything was lit up. A lot of places got destroyed :p
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  5. The point I am trying to make is, that probably everybody would feel better, if this was out of the way.

Not mine :p :p
  6. I don't know if that is the right verbage? Persistent on getting DT out? OR persistent that he isn't going to do anything with the wild until he realizes his full scale "vision" for how it should all work.

Here is the thing, games have betas and alpha testing to make sure stuff works. In this case not only do you get to make sure that your mechanics are thoroughly tested by hundreds of people using them in their own unique way, enabling DT release to focus on all the pretty glitz and gold it's supposed to sport instead of the, "it's broke." Meanwhile EMPIRES get started beyond someone saying, yeah that's your land and you kinda own it but if someone comes and messes it up, well... call us?

The games server taking priority really upsets me. There are hundreds of games servers for MC. Some that have been around for a while and are far past just releasing. Games server is a cool idea, the wild is supposed to be EMPIRE, as Aikar has led me to believe anyways.
    607 and Kaizimir like this.
  7. Neither. He's persistent on saying 'it'll be done soon and nothing will change my mind on that', not actually getting it out. I think he already has a vision of what the wild should be, and it's not the one most people living in the wild like and have objected to multiple times before. Land claiming is all fine and dandy, but what happens in big communities? If you live out in the wild with one or two friends, how are you supposed to take down this 'smarter' enderdragon when Aikar and IcC once said you'd need to have a large group of friends with you to even begin chip away at its health bar? IMO, we kind of need information on how it will all work out (if we haven't already and I just haven't seen it) and have that picked apart by the people who live out in the wild, either by themselves, with friends, or in large communities/outposts.

A big selling point of the 'Old Empire' (and I guess it's still like that...), as I will now call it, was that you could mine as much as you want without being told 'you can't dig any further because someone owns this land'. Obviously, we're not supposed to mine in the wilderness any more due to the introduction of the wasteland (I don't think I've ever used that for...anything, really), but the problem may still stand for the people who live far away from the spawn and can't /vault all over the place or run back and forth.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  8. I remember the admin team saying that you'd need 5 people at a minimum to even enter the tomb... :eek:
  9. At least we know it wasn't out that weekend

CadenMann, ChickenDice, 607 and 7 others like this.
  10. Well as a reminder our dev team has grown... I believe I've posted publicly about it already but not much so understandable it's not been seen, but I have caved on the strong DT requirement being a foundation for land claiming.

We still have fundamental ideas on how land claiming is to work, but the plans have evolved (for the greater) over time.

DT will be a massive reward of tokens.
    Tokens will be required to claim land...

The idea was for scale to be based around the reward from DT.
    But DT will be the most efficient METHOD of gaining tokens to claim/expand your Empire size in the Frontier.

However, the way you get things changed is by convincing me an idea is better, not by trying to force me into something I don't want to do, and over time I have been convinced that the full DT chain of events is too strict of a requirement. We specialize in Play Your Way so I want to ensure the overall concept of starting an Empire (reminder: Official "Outpost" name is Empire's, not Outposts, which will essentially be like a Guild/Clan) is not over bearing, but it also won't be free like it is on Factions Servers and such.... You will still need to collect Tokens and Rupees for each action.

So the Frontier won't be littered with Empires everywhere, only those who work for them.
    If you earn tokens through the other means, then you can claim land too.

We've also already been progressing the Residence system in support of Land Claiming. Chicken is continuously making progress on expanding Residences and getting it ready for all the concepts we need to claim land.

Main thing we need next is the Empire system, which I will be designing, which will likely land after DT step 3 (which as you see is next on my agenda) but I will likely do some smaller initial steps to framing it so chicken can design around it.

So we are working in parallel on things. A lot of these small changes are prep work for whats to come.

Also, a lot of the finer details are not set in stone yet. We can only 'focus' on 1 LARGE project at a time.

So we can't give details when they aren't final, but there is a min distance for claiming to avoid issues with never being able to go anywhere without running into claimed land, and also you won't be able to prevent people from entering (move flag can not be changed in Frontier).

-----------
    and as said, the main delay has always been "more important things".

We can't say, "Sorry, were still 1.6 even though 1.8 has been out for a year, but you have Dragon Tombs and Land Claiming!"
    We can't say "Sorry no name change support still 1 year later"
    We can't say "Sorry about that evil bug that keeps making you lose items"
    We can't say "Sorry there's been no updates in 2 months, were still alive here... we promise!"

It's always a battle of delivering enough important and small changes to keep everything running smoothly and progressing. We are making gigantic progress on everything now, and I finally have a team to help me to keep the smaller things off my plate while I focus on larger ones.

We have to solve now problems now, and worry about new features when current problems and frustrations are resolved. We also will not sacrifice quality (code or experience) just to deliver quicker results either.
    ChickenDice, jrm531, 607 and 11 others like this.
  11. Thanks for this post, it cleared up a bunch of things for me i didn't really understand :)
    Keep doing what you do!
  12. Take a look at the "Next major" part of the Developmental status section.