Don't ever use "LoL" again!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hash98, Nov 26, 2012.

1. I used to work in a liquor store and there was this guy that came in who would buy a combination of things that added up to $6.66. The first few times he asked me to add on a penny so that it would be $6.67.

I argued with him at first that it was just a random number, that the prices would likely change soon, and that I wasn't supposed to do stuff like that anyway. I even tried arguing that since he wasn't paying in pennies, he wasn't actually paying 666 of anything so he could give me a $20, I could give him his change and we'd be all set.

Nope. He insisted that he couldn't pay that price and would add a candy bar or whatever just to change the price. He was still paying $6.66 for the original items, but he wouldn't/couldn't understand that. Anyway, I came away with a couple of ideas from this. Numbers and words are symbols and we don't all define them the same way. Also, perception is reality. If you perceive that that sound coming from under your bed is a monster, it might as well be real.

LoL and lol are two different things to me anyway, neither of them having any religious connotation.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. I can't heat those noises for the ones coming from my closet :/
    Pab10S likes this.
  3. God I'm countercultural :D
  4. No... No you couldn't.

We generally handle symbols as what they are generally perceived as. If the average person stumbling across as res sees LoL, they are going to think laugh out loud, not whatever this is above. A Swastika on the other hand immediately has a negative meaning. We've banned others before for building them on their residences. It's immediately taken as a hateful symbol. Unless you've got an essay in your signature explaining what you're doing - no.

From the Guide:
    6. Thou Shalt Be Respectful And Tolerant Of Race, Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, And Sexual Orientation
    Racial, ethnic, religious, and sexual harassment (including harassment of homosexuals), and hate speech, will not be tolerated.
    AlexChance and PandasEatRamen like this.
  5. Fair enough, if I wish to put a swastika in my sig, I'll do that.
  6. =
    /ban 72volt Swastika, dont bother appealing this ban.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  7. but essays :(
  8. Did he look like this?
    sjhiurh.jpg
    Pab10S, HylianNinja and nfell2009 like this.
  9. Must not have read Alex's link: Satan's wishes are granted but thanks, I'm now gonna associate that with SWAG from now on and I dunno whether to take that as an insult to Gay people or not lol.

When my mom worked at a local grocery store she would have people do this every single time. She was kinda the same way and dad just didn't care.

HAHA! I love that one :)
    jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  10. haha lol
    Pab10S likes this.
  11. You
    Organise
    Lucky
    Owls!