Dogecoin donation's

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by eyewillkillu, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mining takes an incredible amount of memory to mine, and it's a very low payoff.
    One good day of mining can get you ten dogecoins, and those can be slowly traded up, and I don't think this is ever gonna happen so...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. the demand is more for untracable currency for black market items it used to be able to be done through certain countries currency but this is the safer route now. once its controlled or monitored all them will be next to worthless. the demand isnt for the currency itself however simply the anonymous control people have over it.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. That is the current status, EMC doesn't want to be associated with something as volatile and "shady", in the eyes of the government, as this. It is not worth the trouble. Not only that, but most exchanges require that you hook up a bank account, and with the latest round of security breaches (and the general vulnerability of crypto exchanges), this could be a very risky move.

If people want to donate, I think they can do the work of converting to an accepted currency.
    Equinox_Boss and cddm95ace like this.
  4. well that and most coins operate in smaller percentages then the american cent goes so really its math is all borked unless you are really careful
    Equinox_Boss and jkjkjk182 like this.
  5. A crpyto miner takes up 50 or so megabytes in the VRAM of the GPU, hardly huge amounts of memory, but what it does do is saturate the GPUs clock cycles, not memory, big difference :)

One good day of mining will get you 10,000 Dogecoins, not 10 - It's relative. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. You forget the strain on your GPU :)
    My friend mined overnight (five hours or so) and it took him to 55 degrees celcius
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. BOX-TOPS!!!!! Awe man only for schools. :(
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. How does the Gov't see it as shady? You are also assuming a lot about the vulnerability of crypto exchanges. I just registered an account at, the biggest of the exchanges, cryptsy -- no bank info needed.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. When you convert DOGE to USD, you are of course going to round it to the nearest cent.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. That's cold, Dogecoin mining will take mine up to 80c (That's with an aftermarket cooler)
  11. Dogecoin? Maybe bitcoin, but the vast vast vast majority of dogecoins (which, if you look at the logs, is usually very small transactions) goes through dogetipbot, on Twitter and Reddit. Dogecoin is not worth enough to be practical for drugs. Go over to /r/dogecoin (which a majority of dogecoin users go on) and tell me those people are shady criminals.
  12. That's jsut plain wrong, think in the thousands...

But I do agree it isn't worth it for EMC. Server performance is more important.
  13. It is currently in between being tax-less and taxable. It also has an image of illegal use tacked onto it, along with the assumed use of hiding purchases for tax evasion. The government does not like it because it does not have any power to deal with it, and that would be EMC in an awkward position if/when new laws/regulations come around.

Also, of course Cryptsy doesn't ask for bank info. It is not a real world currency exchange. All "reputable" real world currency exchanges require bank info, I have yet to find one that people trust that allows depositing into a PayPal account.
    607 likes this.
  14. Dogecoin, although it gets less publicity, has gotten publicity for the following things, nothing realted to illegal tax evasion.
    1. Doge 4 Water
    2. Doge 4 Kids
    3. Getting Jamaican bobsled team to Sochi
    4. Sponsoring NASCAR driver Josh Wise.
    Seriously, besides a hack* in the first month of it's existence, there has been no relation to crime. In fact, the dogecoin community is renowned for it's friendliness and charity.
    There is literally a Giant Freaking List of every dogecoin transaction, which I'm sure the NSA pays attention to.
    Also, as long as they exchange the DOGE for USD expediently, and report it as income, there should be no problem. If new regulations make things harder, you can always delete your wallet and remove the address from EMC's website. Nothing makes them keep having to accept DOGE.

*The money lost is being repaid to the victims via donations, which have already been raised in a grass roots campaign.
  15. BTC is the major form of currency used in illicit trading, because of its anonymity.. There was also headlines not too long ago that I could not help but laugh at, in where hackers using a backdoor hack in the site's (which I will not refer to by name) BTC wallet and transfer thousands of BTC out of the site's wallet and those coin were gone and untraceable in a matter of a few hours.. While sites like Crypsty only deal with currency trading, there are other sites that deal with cryptocurrency that can be sorted to say the least.. :oops:

EDIT:
    While Dogecoin is very charitable, I should know, I have contributed to some of those campaigns and even in the subreddit for Doge, they have a bot that can be called upon to give people coin for posting favorable posts or out of goodwill. There is even a website dedicated to trading dogecoin directly for things like gold and silver bullion, Xbox Ones, PS4, motherboards, old gaming consoles, etc.. However, Dogecoin has its good light because of its community. BTC, which is what the dogecoins value is derived from, has not always been looked at so favorably.. As I posted above about the site that had its wallet drained, That particular site has been in operation for a number of years, although the site that was robbed is actually its second iteration. BTC, also does have a public chain, however many of the newer wallets do not have to download the entire chain like doge does and many do not see it..
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  16. The government won't look at Dogecoin any different than other cryptos. They don't care if it is donated, it is still a form of unregulated goods.

Overall it still comes down to security and convenience. It is great in neither of those categories. If people who usually donate Dogecoin want to donate to EMC, they can do so by exchanging into an accepted currency. Why would we make work harder for EMC when the few individuals who will use it can save EMC the time and effort? It would be like accepting pop/soda can donations (except EMC would get maybe a few cans a year), and spending the time to go turn them in for a few cents.

The question is not "why not?". That could be applied to any form of donation, whether it be Dogecoin or a half eaten box of waffles.
  17. its untraceable currency, its incredibly shadey. i dont think you really know how coins work...doge, panda, bit, lite, mint, black, dev or any of them all function under the same principle so saying one isnt exactly like the other is naive at best. suffice to say its never going to be used viably by emc who follows federal laws and regulations until the american market recognizes them as legitimate currency's.
  18. Naive? Cryptocurrencies work on a decentralized network of users. They are transferred via a computer (AKA a miner, which also has the added benefit of producing more "Coins" whenever it finds a "block") which makes sure the other user has the coins afterwards, makes sure the person sending the coins has the coins and isn't spending them twice, and the transaction goes on a public ledger. The idea is that the decentralized nature of the currency will make it more efficient and immune to political meddling. Dogecoin uses these same basic principles, like every other currency like it. The two things that are different with Dogecoin is the community, which employ liberally the dogetipbot, and the fact inflation doesn't ever stop. Minor things, but they make a difference. The small value the coins possess make them ideal for giving small amounts to others, "Tipping".

Large companies around the US are embracing cryptocurrencies. Square, Tesla, Overstock.com, Reddit, Wordpress, etc all accept Bitcoin, which, as you notes, is very close to dogecoin. PayPal is seriously considering it, and eBay is starting a new section dedicated to cryptocurrencies. If they were as shady and illegal as you say, why would large companies with an image to preserve even consider it? (Sources Here and Here, and Here is a good article on Dogecoin.)

Even more legit Dogecoin stores/markets:

http://foundation.dogecoin.com/

http://dogedir.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogemarket/

Safe, legitimate, easy to set up website for accepting Dogecoin and immediately converting it to fiat:
    https://www.gocoin.com/
  19. i have 1.2 dogecoins, EMC is welcome to have them if they want them
    607 likes this.
  20. companies are not countries, its an entirely new ballgame. its a shady practice because the regulation does indeed come from somewhere. otherwise none of them would hold a value instead someone created the currency and in one way or another is fueling its "stock". somewhere the program is "running" and there's no way of knowing who is holding onto that information (well there is but its insanely illegal) the idea of decentralized banking is not a new one however and those same companies likely participated in the old ways as well.

the point was that until national (and potentially international) law recognises these they likely wont be used by emc. however altruistic a few actions contained therein might be