Dogecoin donation's

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by eyewillkillu, Apr 16, 2014.

1. I am going to comment on the important/relevant parts.
    A government will never care about a community behind something they categorize as goods. They will focus on the goods first and foremost, because they can't regulate a community.
    That is one of the reasons that the government will have to regulate this at some point. The court system will eventually have to deal with small scale crypto currency issues, and so laws/regulations will come. It is unlikely, but entirely possible, that a business entity would have to pay past taxes on it and past licensing fees just because they used it several times.
    Yes, yes, yes, we understand how you feel about Dogecoin and the community behind it. I don't mean to be harsh, but the community behind it doesn't matter. The point in the current debate is about the currency, not the people.
  2. Yeeees. dogecoin is awesome. I LOVE dogecoin. Donate to me : D

DKmZh96KsBE3mzDs8UvYMAbqGbuErRrntQ
  3. Ok, currency:

By "inflation never stopping" I mean that after 100 billion DOGE are produced, there will still be a 1% increase in inflation every year. Without inflation... bad things happen.

The currency is also cheap, making people likelier to donate it, as it can literally be tenths of a cent.

In maybe 30 minutes, if you really wanted not to deal with the coin, you could set it up to automatically transfer it to USD using gocoin.com. The shibes who would love to donate to EMC could donate, and EMC wouldn't have to deal with exchange rates and legality.

That post seemed a bit confusing, but I wil try to address it:

The programing that runs the thing is open source, and staffed by volunteer developers.

FinCEN actually regulates cryptocurrencies already, so the US does recognize it. http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html
    technologygeek likes this.
  4. Also, just to reiterate an earlier point, it's free advertisement for EMC. I could point out quite a few buisnesses that have seen a significant uptick in sales due solely to them accepting Dogecoin, The Iron Rail Diner was able to get to the front page of /r/dogecoin, with >75k subscribers itching to spend their money.
  5. Just got here now.

Do not quadruple post, there IS an edit button.

Alright I will say this now to hopefully end this.

DO NOT FIGHT A LOSING WAR
  6. I'm curious about what bad things happen without inflation.

People generally try to profit when they buy and sell things so I see inflation as a natural by product of economic behavior. There are lots of world currencies I could use as examples that show that eventually inflation can leave a currency with little value. I don't view that as a good thing so I am wondering what I am overlooking.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. Because deflation is much worse. Inflation allows wages to be reduced without actually having to lower them, and debts to become less of a burden over time.

I'm not an economist, but I think that's pretty much why.
  8. You do realize that if you have a job, and there is subtle inflation (so your wages don't get increased), you are in the bad end of the situation, right? That is one of the worst parts of inflation. Also, "debts" without interest become less of a burden. Those who make the agreements on loans and payment plans know how inflation works, and it is already factored in.
    607 likes this.
  9. What I am trying to ask for:

To set up a way to accept DONATIONS (i.e. not anything to undermine buying rupees and supporter-ship) of Dogecoin. This can be done by simply pasting a wallet address and accepting the doge, or via a service that can automatically transfer it into regular USD.

Pros:
    • Simple.
    • Free advertising.
    • Can make a bit of money.
    • Makes me shut up for a while
    Cons:

• Considered shady -- by China.
    • New regulations could limit it's use.
    OK imma be bad-grammary with you for a second, why the heck would it matter if it got heavily regulated in the future?? EMC could just stop accepting it. In the present there isn't really much to suggest the gov't will do anything about it for the next while, FinCEN already is regulating it, and they have bigger problems right now.Again, if they convert it into USD, there's no harm in doing something that will get regulated more later, they can just stop doing the thing if it becomes too hard.
    Just to clarify:

• It is NOT illegal, and the US does recognize the fact they exist.
    • As you can use services (again, completely legal) that transfer the currency automatically into USD, you would not have to worry about tax evasion or exchange rates.
    • There is no actual evidence that I have seen so far that Dogecoin is "Shady", if you disagree, please cite with an actual link.
    That is all.
    TL;DR: Y U NO LIKE PEEPLE GIVING DOGE??
    As you can see in my signature, I do this professionally.

Honestly, if this was just about accepting small donations form some random cryptocurrency, it wouldn't make any sense... The value comes in the advertising, AKA people looking at the Empire because we are behind doge, and staying because they realize how awesome and friendly we are.

Also (this is for you jk) notice the reason people stay on Empire is because of the COMMUNITY ... which is apparently not important.
  10. I think I generally agree with the upstream sentiment, that if you want to use dogecoin/bitcoin/pop cans/waffles/pork bellys to donate, that it would be preferable to convert to USD first then donate. EMC is in the business of providing us with an entertaining Minecraft experience, not commodity trading.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. I would also like to propose something. If you are considering donating very small amounts of crypto currency, and the amount is so small that you can't convert it into a more reasonable currency, click a damn ad lol. :p It will be much more beneficial.
  12. What I meant is that sometimes job prices have to go down, and inflation let's that happen w/o actually lowering prices.

You can have inflation or deflation, and inflation is definitely much better, because even if inflation is already "factored in" to loans as you say, than that would make deflation even worse as the amount you owe would become relatively larger with time.

Why would pretty much every country on the freaking planet do something that's bad for it?

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked... DOGE.
  13. And again, you can have it set up to convert to a more "Reasonable currency" if you want to.

Ok, to clarify, the donations really don't matter that much, EMC won't be rolling in dough if we accept dogecoin... the free publicity. That's what will really help EMC.

And I'm not gonna sit around clicking ads all day, that's idiotic and you know it. People give more than 1/7 of a penny if they intend to donate.

Here's another, free, service for converting to USD: Moolah.io (FAQ)
  14. To be honest, I would rather not have EMC associated with anything crypto currency, no matter what kind of following it has. The best thing about Dogecoin is that they are a sharing and caring community, as you have shown. But the worst thing is that self made image has made a lot of them get consumed by their ego. I get the feeling that a lot of what happens in that community is due to a lust for publicity. Obviously, there are good people in the Dogecoin community. But they are not well known or very vocal (the most important part), because all you see is the charity brigade come out. I don't mean to be harsh, but that is just how I (and many people I know) view things.
    If you think ads average less than 1/7th of a cent, you are very wrong. Many ads will easily pay $0.40 with just one click. I don't know EMC's average intake per click, but one click of an ad will be worth much more than a few minuscule Dogecoin payments. You are largely underestimating the earning potential of the ad system, and largely overestimating the net gain (in all categories) of the Dogecoin community.
  15. Where are you getting that from? Shibes aren't well-paid celebs, if you actually spent time with the people there, you would change your opinion.

If even, say, five members joined (which is relatively modest in the scheme of EMC) those people would have joined for a very small amount of work, which the donations, even if they are modest, would probably cover twenty minutes of work. Also the people likely to come from /r/dogecoin to here are probably going to at least be a bit more generous than the average click-on-link-on-server-list-sites person.

What I'm trying to say is that a Empire-minecraft-accepts-doge-go-show-them-some-love type of post on a large community can't be bad (corection: we don't wan't this on /r/nazis). I'm not asking for us to change our name to DogeCraft, but a link somewhere on the vote/buy rupees/upgrade page that will likely pay for itself is worth twenty minutes of effort.
  16. I don't think it is. Ads are much better and pay for real advertisements. Dogecoin does not.
    I feel like I explained how I came to that conclusion fairly well already.I don't understand your connection between ego and celebrities. Correlation does not prove causation.
    I have been there. I have watched casually, observed with the intention of possibly getting into it, and walked away from it. I don't like how things work there, and I don't want that kind of a system ever becoming part of EMC in any way.
  17. Ok, just to clarify: I'm asking for a button on a page.

Wasn't this supposed to be about the currency, not the community? Anyways, I didn't like that, so I'm OK with you changing your mind.

The point of the two main charities (Doge4Water and Doge4Kids) was to be charitable and give people something to spend their doge's on. The other big fundraisers (Doge4NASCAR and sending the Jamaican bobsled team to the Olympics) were for publicity. Empire Minecraft uses advisement and server lists to gain publicity, but Dogecoin doesn't really have that option. Ads just don't work well for currencies (and Jamaican bobsled teams are much more fun). There is nothing sinister about it.

Of course we did some of those things for attention, it's nothing but really good advertisement.

In a way, it's actually closer to EMC than you seem to think, a bunch of people wanting to help something, with a nice community and a whole lot of silliness.

Voting is something people do to 1. get rupees and 2. help EMC. How is that different or better than buying a NASCAR sponsorship.
  18. Lol this is like ping pong
    Me, Jk, Me, Jk, Me, Jk.

BTW a diner in Maryland that chose to accept dogecoin got covered by AP earlier today.
  19. I know exactly what you want, and that is what I replied to.
    This was about the currency, but then you kept bringing up all the amazing things going on in Dogecoin world. I have just been moving on with you are you travel from "point" to "point."
    EMC is a business, its job is to maintain itself efficiently and to grow. Dogecoin is not a business. If you look into the Dogecoin community (and all crypto currency communities), especially at the root of things, everything begins from within. As an example, the term "shibes". It is a term made within the Doge community that has roots in psychological self-raising. People don't use it as a category for others unless they are very proud to be part of it. That kind of building from within is not healthy, and makes people wonder what the heck is going on inside the people who do it. An example of another community like that (albeit a more extreme example) is the Scientologists. It is a community that thrives on pretty much only itself, and people don't understand it well so the automatic reaction is to produce an opinion on the subject that conveys how they feel about it and, at the same time, that same opinion shields them from what they don't understand.

I don't want Dogecoin here because the currency is useless and doesn't make any economical sense, and I do not like the community behind it (as a whole). Others don't want it (and I can't say this for sure obviously, but this is just an educated guess) because it doesn't make sense, it is hidden and elitist by nature, and they don't get what make the community behind it tick.

That and the economic reasoning for adding a "tipping" button don't hold enough ground to actually go through with the action. Like I keep having to repeat, ads are much more useful and bring in more money than a little button would, to the point where adding a button isn't worth it at all.

If a person would be willing to send a "large" amount of Dogecoin (more than a few cents), then convert it to a reasonable currency. If they refuse to convert it into a reasonable currency because they only want to donate Dogecoin, then they shouldn't be donating to EMC, they aren't supporting the server out of good of heart. If someone wants to donate small amounts of Dogecoin, but can't, I encourage all of them to click on just one ad that is relevant to them (something that actually helps you or or is useful in some way). It helps a lot. I personally click on Newegg ads because I buy a lot of things from Newegg. I am not cheating the system (I am benefiting myself and Newegg), and I am helping EMC at the same time. It is a great concept.
    607 likes this.
    1. Equating a subreddit to a cult is kind of ridiculous. This community thrives on itself. Every community ever has thrived on itself. "and people don't understand it well so the automatic reaction is to produce an opinion on the subject that conveys how they feel about it and, at the same time, that same opinion shields them from what they don't understand." We are both doing this. Creating opinions about things. And every person on this planet shields themselves from things they don't know. You are describing what people do with everything
    2. Cryptocurrencies have extremely small fees for moving money around. This makes them good for both very small and very large amounts of money. For example, you could send like 50 doge to read a NY Times article instead of paying a crapload of money for a subscription, this can be done practically with cryptocurrecnies, but all the small transactions wouldn't be worth it with regular currencies.
    3. If everyone clicked on ads and didn't buy anything the value of clicks would go down, negating the effect.
    Again, this is becoming seriously charged for an issue revolving around a button on a page.
    Apparently I'm part of a cult though, for your own safety don't listen to me.
    And we all care a lot about an intrinsically useless currency, rupees. Why are we arguing about a button on a page of a website owned by a company we don't own??