[DISCUSSION] SGDQ 2018

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CoffeeAffinity, Jun 23, 2018.

?

Have you donated during any of the GDQ events?

Once 0 vote(s) 0.0%
None 7 vote(s) 87.5%
Several times! 1 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. Greetings Fellow EMCers! With just 1 day before the actual event, I wanted to talk about everyone’s favorite speedrunning event that benefits a variety of charities, Games Done Quick! Starting tomorrow, the talented speedrunners will kick the event off with a brief introduction then proceed to the large variety of speedruns being hosted at the event (first run will be Banjo-Tooie any%). I highly suggest looking at the schedule so that you know what runs are going on, and which ones your looking forward to. Which runs are you the most excited for? Which runs have you seen (as the event goes on) and enjoyed? Discuss them in the comments below!

Also feel free to ask simple questions like what the heck is a speedrun, I can help with that.
  2. One thing I don't understand is how it takes me an hour to walk from point A to point B and it takes them an hour to complete the whole game :/
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  3. Ikr, it gets even more insane watching how quickly the 100% runs can be completed.
  4. Last time I looked at the schedule, I think I was disappointed, seeing most interesting runs at night. I hope I'll still see some nice ones. :) Perhaps not on any games I know, though.
  5. One run I’m particularly excited for is the Cuphead speedrun by TMR, also the eventual Odessy Run.
  6. I decided to go through the schedule again, and write down all runs I would really like to see, and check which of those I might be able to see. (I don't catch up on runs later unless they're run by someone I know, the game might be run again at a later marathon, and it's a lot more fun to watch it live, to me)
    Won't be able to watch Might be able to partly watch Might be able to fully watch

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Super Metroid
    Super Monkey Ball 2
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
    Super Mario 3D Land
    Cuphead
    The Legend of Zelda
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    Paper Mario
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario World
    Goof Troop
    Super Mario 64
    TASBot
    Kirby's Dream Land
    Kirby's Adventure
    New Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Maker
    Final Fantasy VI

So there are some I'd like to see and probably can watch. :) But at least as many I'd like to see but can't, and that's unfortunate.
    Also, there aren't any Yoshi or Wario games being run at all, which are my personal favourites.
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  7. BERMP! 3 Hours left until SGDQ 2018 starts!
  8. That problem is all too familiar. Though you may not be able to watch them live, you can watch the videos back on YouTube :)
  9. Yes, but as I said, I don't do that, unless I know the runner.
  10. BERMP! Speedruns are underway!
    607 and JesusPower2 like this.
  11. This is great. xD DOOD
    FadedMartian and PhoenixAffinity like this.
  12. I used to be excited about these charities where people play games quickly to make money, but I've heard some news about this organization that is somewhat shady. After I've heard the information about how it's managed, I'm not as happy to watch these things anymore.
  13. I hope you mean GamesDoneQuick and not MSF? In any case, I haven't heard anything like that.
  14. 1 q: wut is dis?
  15. Yes, I am talking about GDQ.
  16. Do you mean SGDQ? So SGDQ is one of 2 speedrunning events that are hosted each year by Games Done Quick. The event lasts for 1 week and it’s purpose is to help provide funds for various charities, this year it’s donating to Doctors Without Borders. You can watch the event via livestream on Twitch.
    607 and FadedMartian like this.
  17. As far as I remember, SGDQ has always been donating to Doctors Without Borders. It's only AGDQ that doesn't have the same charity each year. :)

To anyone who doesn't know the event: do keep in mind that EMC-inappropriate games are run as well. Nudity isn't allowed, but blood and gore is, and there are certainly runs I do not want to watch because of the material in them...
  18. Unfortunately that is something I’m fully aware of, I really don’t appreciate the fact that runners are pretty restricted in what they can do, but I still like to stick around and watch what runs appear there and that the donations are going to where they are.