[Discussion] Allowing invisibility potions with an alteration on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iamfuturetrunks, Dec 11, 2021.

1. So as the title suggests I think it would be nice to allow invisibility potions on EMC.

I already know some people will say "no" before reading any further. Like about how people will abuse it to grief or trick players ect. I have a compromise that I think would work really well.

Wondering if EMC, or should I say the programmers would be able to make it so when you take an invisibility potion you are still visible but opaque slightly. Like what you see when you see another spectator player. You can still see the other person but they are slightly opaque as well still be able to see their name tag. But you would still be invisible to mobs (as long as your not wearing armor etc).

Then we would at least get some use out of the potions in some ways. Would be nice to be able to go through an area if you just want to quickly get through it without getting attacked by mobs etc. It's not that useful but still something that could be nice for those who want to use invisibility potions.

Also for those who want to use it on mobs for some reason, they would be just slightly opaque as well if turned invisible?

What do you all think? Just something I thought of the other day and figured why not add it as a suggestion. If you have other reasons as to why not to include it even with this alteration I would be interested to hear it to.
    607, Fred_TWK, Egeau and 3 others like this.
  2. I would like the idea of letting invisibility still work for mobs, but I think the reason that that isn't the case now, is because it would be a hassle to code in.

As for the see-through: that would be a rendering thing for the client. I doubt that that is possible without heavy modding, if at all. The only way I could think of doing it is by importing the player skin to some code, somehow making it see-through, which sounds non-trivial, and then getting that to display properly on every single client, which is definitely non-trivial. I wouldn't be sure if it's impossible, but I doubt it's easy. It definitely sounds like more than an afternoon of work. :p

It might be possible if some paper developers decided to make a mod out of it that can be imported to any server. That way, it wouldn't be a lot of effort for a single server. :p

EDIT:
    I stand corrected, I did not know that translucent players was a thing in vanilla Minecraft, but it is. I had never encountered it before. That makes this very easy. Like, abnormally easy.

To compensate for me apparently not knowing anything previously, I made a data pack that does everything asked for in the OP :)

Here you go. It was less than five minutes of work. :p
    DrasLeona247 and TheFryedmans like this.
  3. What about emc's added disguises? Like what they had for the Halloween event?
  4. Those are basically what I was talking about, I think. You couldn't see its effect on your side, but other people could.
    In this case, the player model was probably just replaced with an animal model, including its texture, in the data the server sent to the client. Nothing non-vanilla is sent to the client.
    This translucent effect would also include having the texture go through some sort of filter, and then re-applied to the player. That is definitely possible in theory, but I think it's easier said than done.
    You cannot just have a player with a translucent skin, there is no way a player can get one themselves. This doesn't mean it has to be impossible, but it does mean that some heavy modding or changing of the concept is needed.
    If you want to change the concept, you would have to implement a system that gives a translucent feel (maybe just a white-out) that doesn't ever make the skin of anyone inappropriate. To me, this sounds rather difficult, as it would involve both a lot of artistry and a lot of checking common patterns.
    If you want to get a translucent system in place, you'd have to figure out how to get that to work. I wouldn't even have a clue where to start on this one. I think it might be possible, but... you know... probably only with a lot of head-scratching, especially with the amount of mods people use for visual optimisations.

Anyway, I agree that that wasn't that clear from my original post, so I edited it to properly explain what I was thinking :p
  5. I believe you're wrong here. I'm no coder, but Hypixel's Block Party and every game mode with a spectator has players that are translucent. So you can have a player with a translucent skin. And they run 1.8.9, so it's been possible for a while.

At the very least, they should have the spectral effect and re-enable invisible potions.

EDIT: It is using teams.
    SeeFriendlyInvisibles: 1 or 0 (true/false) - true if players on this team can see invisible teammates.

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Scoreboard
    ThaKloned and Egeau like this.
  6. I stand corrected, I did not know that this was a thing in vanilla Minecraft. I had never encountered it before. That makes this very easy. Like, abnormally easy.

To compensate for me apparently not knowing anything previously, I made a data pack that does everything asked for in the OP :)

Here you go. It was less than five minutes of work. :p

Now, I do wonder if the visibility is enough. It is, like, really translucent, but, if it truly is a part of the vanilla game, making it a little more opaque would be quite easy, probably. :p
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  7. Well it's nice to see others are interested in it as well. Like maybe even don't make the player invisible or transparent at all, maybe just have an effect happen which shows they are invisible to other mobs? Who knows, just would be nice to be able to use it, like if you want to go through a cave without having to fight off every mob or light it up etc. Or witness a battle between players and a mob without having to be a target (again as long as you have your armor and stuff off so they couldn't see you). We would get a little bit of use out of the potions.
    607 likes this.
  8. I see like a very niche reason for invis pots: Mob farm construction.
    Two examples: waste pillager outpost raid farm, guardian farm in an ocean monument. Both are exponentially more laborious to construct due to a constant onslaught of range damage.

I could see a solution for dealing with this: a EMC promo that buffs damage for these mobs (I'd have to check the code, but only in the proximity of these structures. Like 'Chest plate: projectile resistance XX, guardian laser resist XX, mending, unbreaking V'.
    So you could still build the farms but not die every 10min or have to build large /barrier walls to segregate the mobs and minimize possible # you'd be fighting at any point. Now I know this probably isn't a practical thing from a programming standpoint: just a thought if it ever becomes doable

While I'm not for nerfing or too much restrictions outside those to protect server against lag/entc abuse: this is also one I don't particularly see a huge benefit from.

...Just my two bits.
  9. I don't get your bits. To me it seems like you are going to make a point against this suggestion by saying that this mechanic could be used to more easily build mob farms, but then you make another suggestion that would do just that. o.(o)

@OP: Nice idea! And also nice to know that it is easy to implement. :D
    Egeau likes this.
  10. Well basically, yes, my stance is middle-of-the-road on this one. Like I said, my view is that the usefulness of a invis pot is low in general, and the farms I gave were niche examples of when it would be useful in my opinion.
  11. Curious to hear what some sr mods, and the programmers think about this. And any other ideas. Could be quite helpful in 1.18 when you encounter a huge cave which would take way to long to light up just to go through it quickly with no plan to build there and use invis potion and night vision potion to get through it quicker.

Also if the player is translucent to other players (if EMC does this) it would be cool to use invisibility potions to make the player look like a visible ghost running around. Which also could be fun for Halloween builds etc.
    607 likes this.