Computers changed our lives, in MY days....

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by ShelLuser, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Speaking of great DOS games, who else played Jill of the Jungle, Lemmings, Loom, Duke Nukem, Prince of Persia, The Incredible Machine, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tomb Raider (even as badly rendered as it was), and Commander Keen? My dad had a good library of games and I played many when I was little. Loom, Lemmings, and Jill will forever be dear to my heart. :)
    ShelLuser, eviltoade and Pab10S like this.
  2. cadenman2002 likes this.
  3. I have... strange memories of Lemmings. Mostly my 5-ish year old self wondering "Why are the lemmings so stupid that they don't even have a feel for survival?" and then I heard that they mass suicide off cliffs a few years later. And then I learned that was a lie. And now I still question who would make a game about mass suicides.
  4. You and me both! My thought process was nearly the same as yours, and even on a similar timeline. I wonder how many former kids like us have wondered the exact same thing... (Dozens? Heehee)
  5. I actually have Lemmings on this comp currently. :) Never did manage to finish it, some of the later levels were impossible to figure out / time right.
    In particular though, I have fond memories of this:

There was a mode where you could paint your own car. The quality was MSPaint-level, of course, but both my sister and I got really good at it. This was also about the time we discovered Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich and Nickelodeon had All That running.
    Some "everyday French with Pierre Escargot" later, we had a couple of Spicy Chipmunk cars racing around the track.
    607 likes this.
  6. Lemmings!!! I seriously think that's one of the best games ever made. I still play remade versions of it hours per week. Actually, I'm a member of lemmingsforums.com, and have recently started making a custom level pack for one of the reimaginations of the original Lemmings game.
    This is not just nostalgia, Lemmings really is a great game, that still has potential.
  7. Shhh! Not so loud, EA will hear you!
  8. Huh?
    Oh, also, forgot to say, that NASCAR Racing game looks quite cool!
  9. EA = game producer (FIFA. battlefield, sims)
    I think kephras means that EA is taking over the games like a dictator (that you may not list bad things about him/good things about others) :p (sorry if I am wrong xD)
    Patr1cV and 607 like this.
  10. also, I dont get this one :p, probably the 'young' gerneration.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  11. *Throws up a little in mouth*
    Just stop it...
  12. Um... xD Shel can explain this one :rolleyes:
    haastregt likes this.
  13. Haha! I saved my very first story in third grade on a floppy. Still have it somewhere. And my SO found an old floppy drive in his computer junk pile, so this weekend I'm going to install it into my computer, just for the nostalgia. :D
    Chief_McCloud likes this.
  14. Let's just say Pfizer makes pills for that problem. :D
    Sorta. Exploiting and destroying nostalgia IPs is one of their trademarks.
    607 likes this.
  15. 3.5 inch floppy disks were those huge square things that you've probably seen in movies set in like the 80s or whatever. Or if you've ever played Surgeon Simulator, I know they have some in the menu screen thing. The joke here is a play on word of... an anatomical nature.
    haastregt likes this.
  16. I remember dial-up...
    I used to play Pinball and Spongebob CD Games on our Dell Computer Dinosaur.
    I remember phones with antennas...
    Good times :p
  17. (Shakes head solemnly) I remember those days, of horror.