Changes for brand new members

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by JustinGuy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. The reason I skipped some of the points mate is because it was late and I was about to go to bed. I chose the most important points to answer for you, you know try give you some help. "I will write my response in a different colour here"

I will add the second part below, I got a warning for the response to be less than 1000o words lol :p

2. I hope that you understand that I am not trying to target you in anyway :) I am just trying to help you with some of your questions, and I love a good debate :D

Sorry to all for taking over this thread :p

Right, now I must go out and sort a surprise Christmas dinner for my family :) Be on later guys. :)
  3. I was noticing that too Justin, on the front page it doesn't show all moderators that are online, but it does show them on the left hand side in the staff list :)
  4. Woah woah woah, I am not talking down to you, I am just trying to help you is all? Can I do that? Or do you take offence to that?
  5. If thats the way you feel I have come across, then I appologise :)

Peace?
  6. Oh nvm, I notice it correctly shows the staff now :)
  7. @BloodDisciple: I honestly don't think that's gonna work. Not enough supply to meet the demand and so-forth.

I think d1223m's idea is a much better one. As GokouZWAR said, the tutorial needs to be more than just a mindless maze, there have to be some serious consequences for those who just guess their way through it. However, the idea of an anti-griefing lesson at the end isn't as good. If I were a brand-new player and I saw a random chest at the end with a diamond block in it... HECK YEAH!!! I'd take that puppy in a heartbeat (and I am very much against greifing). I think this idea is mainly stemming from a first-grief experience, which I totally understand. The first time I was griefed, I just stood there trying to comprehend why someone would do that. It was a nice free-for-all tree farm right on the edge of spawn to supply those who needed some wood, and some #@%! came through, hacked it all down, stole the cacti out of the creeper-trap, and pulled up all the fencing and torches. :(

Here's what I imagined when I was going through the tutorial: if you pick the right corridor, you get your rupee/tool bonus. If you pick the wrong corridor, you either don't get anything and/or you meet something very unpleasant at the end :eek:. Say, the walls close in behind you and a creeper or a bunch of zombies drop out of the ceiling? Or maybe the floor gets pulled out from under you and drops you into a sea of lava... or maybe the walls close ON you and smother you to death...

You get the point. People would lose what they had gained so far and would be much more inclined to try to find the CORRECT path next time. However, with this punishment idea, they would get their reward whenever they eventually made it through the right corridor. That way they can be rewarded and have something to lose in the next room. Granted, this idea wouldn't reduce their rupee count, but it would be pretty easy to build (I can has design job? :D) and wouldn't require any extra programming.

Just a thought... a very long-winded thought! :p

8. AMEN.

I have wanted to STRANGLE people because of this very laziness. Y u no look up the help section?? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I mean seriously, that's the very first thing I do in any game! Especially MMOs. Heck, if there's no info on it in the help section (or the help section is just to complex and outdated *cough*runescape*cough*), I'll type in the game's name and "wiki" in google. Voila! Everything you need to know about said game is right there on the first link!

People no longer seem to know how to teach themselves, which I think is a very sad reflection on our culture today...

What is this "lag" everyone keeps talking about? The only lag I ever experience is when fighting critters in the wild. Sometimes my strikes won't hit them (and vice-versa, lol), but for the most part, everything's cool. MacBook Pro ftw!!

Try pressing "t" when you miss something in chat. It brings up a more extended list of previous comments. I use it all the time ^_^
  9. Technically, yes.

But the term "griefing" in this server usually applies to senseless destruction of structures/services that others build.

I know you are perfectly right about the whole "building in town" thing, but let's face it: 60x60 simply isn't enough for some artists (heck, even 120x120 isn't enough at times, our friend Goku is proving that!). So when people build gigantic projects, it's hard when one of the aforementioned "talentless losers" come and wreck so much hard work.

The chests... those are a different story. Yes, if you leave them out in the open and unprotected, you are asking for it. However, there are plenty of options for securely storing things in the wild. I have...ways...of dealing with those who mess with my *carefully hidden* stuff in the wild. If you ever found one of my chests and tried to break into it, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! >.>

My grief story was to illustrate the kind of griefing that is truly just bad player ethics. I built the tree farm for everyone and put up a sign saying so, along with instructions on how to replant the saplings. The way it was set up, a single player could harvest, replant, and walk away with 1 and 1/2 stacks of LOGS and 12-16 saplings. The thing even had a large anti-creeper trench, complete with cacti and a nice fence running all around the inside perimeter.

Destroying it, therefore, was not an act of jealousy, but rather an act of pure mean-spiritedness against not only the creator of the farm, but also against all other players whom it could have helped. SMP3's wild spawn is in the middle of a desert (or at least it WAS at the time... creepers have changed that), so for players exiting spawn (especially noobs), having a log supply on their way out was very helpful. It's like the douche who set fire to trees near SMP2's wild spawn and nearly destroyed the spawn shelter.

Anyways, that's just my take on it. If someone takes all the torches in my mine for their own use, or knocks over a totem or other landmark... that's life. If someone comes across a wilderness shelter and dumps lava in it "4 teh lulz" or destroys a public-service establishment, then that's just being a poor excuse for a human being.

That's griefing.

EDIT: I'm glad that works for you!

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/JabrZer0/Screenshot2011-12-11at25958AM.png

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/JabrZer0/Screenshot2011-12-10at125950AM.png

This is my place (6131). It's still a work in progress, but I enjoy building here too!

Still, I wouldn't mind doing something bigger in the wild. Eventually, you WILL run out of things to do on your own res and unless you're an admin or diamond supporter, your only option is to build in the wild. There's also more of an element of danger in the wild, falls will kill you, mobs will kill you, lava will kill you... etc. Some people enjoy that (though I personally enjoy jumping off the top of my establishment!).

Anyways, sorry you has lag. I don't. Highlight the end of my previous comment to find out why ^_^.

I meant "y". "y" opens chat for me, which also pulls up more of the previous comments for me to peruse. I often just press it, then hit enter once I've read what I wanted to read.
  10. Ok, I am officially out of this thread toodles :p I stopped reading these thesis type posts about 3 postings ago :p
    shaunwhite1982 likes this.
  11. Sorry man. tl;dr ^_^
  12. Yep, this post should be renamed TLDR.
  13. Indeed it should :p
  14. Hey, I don't see any of you using it for anything! :D

When the mod's away... the philosoraptors will play!
  15. I was originally gonna say that if it was me, I'd have looked in the chest and taken the treasure, simply because it was there with no sign saying I couldn't have it. However, I just looked at the rules again and saw that there IS a clause in the 2nd commandment specifying no stealing from others' chests.

That being said, I feel like this test shouldn't just be a random chest lying out in the open. If I were to open it, as a new player, and get banned for taking the treasure, I'd be afraid to ever open any chest in the wild, even ones I found in Abandoned Mines.

I feel that there should be a test, but maybe there should be a chest with a sign saying
    "(player name)'s chest, please do not open."
    Or maybe it can be in a mine-type environment, placed next to a furnace and workbench. In any case, it needs to be obvious that the chest belongs to somebody and is not just a random treasure-trove lying about for the taking.

We certainly don't want to send mixed messages to new players, especially in the case of real noobs who are just starting MC and went straight for the multiplayer, instead of doing singleplayer first.

That's my two cents on the matter. I'm sure you guys will come up with something cool and effective to solve this problem. ^_^
  16. For the test to be affective, I do believe there would have to be a sign, "Justin's chest, do not steal" or something similar. Curiosity can be a strong drive for some people and they may might still look in the chest, but not actually remove anything from it. If they did take any of the contents however a temp ban of half hour or so should make the rule clear to them.
    What will happen when they come across a chest in the wild that has no sign though? They may leave it alone, but they also might think it is safe because it doesn't have a sign on it.
    This is a tricky point to get across, but we certainly don't want to leave people with a mixed message.
    tjboy11 likes this.
  17. Yeah Tjboy, that's the kind of details that plenty of thought would have to go into. The chest would definitely have to have some indicator that it belonged to someone or was otherwise not cool to take from... though I think it wouldn't have to be too obvious.

I personally wouldn't mind if people were a little afraid to open any chests they find in the wild. If people don't control themselves out of respect for others, then let them at least control themselves out of fear. The latter isn't ideal, but it's better than having people running amok and ruining everyone else's game experience.

Other than the chests in dungeons and abandoned mines, nobody has any business opening any chest that they didn't put there themselves anyway.
    tjboy11 and shaunwhite1982 like this.
  18. Maybe not "Justin's chest"... no one would try to take something from the admin/creator of the server. If they did, they don't deserve to be in the Empire at all.

But yes, it is a tricky question. I personally think immersing the players in a wilderness mine/house environment at the end of the tutorial and making it obvious that the chest belongs to somebody (without signs) is probably the best way to go.

I don't really have any better suggestions, so if anyone with more brainpower can come up with something more efficient, post it!
  19. You could just update the "About Us" section in Help. Or post something in the EmpireMinecraft banner.

Either way, it'd be neat to be able to find out about the history of this server!

And please, please, PLEASE keep your standards high! I'd rather have to wait for an hour or two to log into a 45-player server than deal with the mess you described. I'm seriously considering going either iron or gold next month JUST because I love the server! ...the 400-800r daily login bonus and additional benefits don't hurt either!