Changes for brand new members

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by JustinGuy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. You're joking, right ?:confused:

EDIT: I guess not. On the bright side, these guys are persevering and patient.:D

Now, about the chest idea. I think it would be great, but not as an obvious test. Have the chest in the last chambers before the exit, on the side, with a sign reading something like "materials for future expansions, do not touch" or the likes.
    tjboy11 and Dark_Liz like this.
  2. I have an idea. You know how you get items if you get the question right in the tutorial? Well, you can make it so if you get the answer wrong, you don't get the items. Obviously warn the player about this first though...
    GameKribJEREMY likes this.
  3. Also an excellent idea, and kinda what I was expecting when I went through the tutorial for the first time. I was honestly both a little relieved and disappointed when I got my reward after taking one wrong turn (got confused, lol). That would discourage some people from simply wandering the maze like mindless zombies.

I still like my "dire consequences" idea though... like you get killed and lose whatever you gained if you take the wrong path, or maybe after you take 3 wrong paths in a row...
  4. How about a rolling boulder in every wrong corridor?

lol :D

Seriously though, some really good ideas here... many of them along the same lines. We'll definitely be taking a look at these when the time comes to revisit the tutorial and refine it some more. :)
    JustinGuy likes this.
  5. Thanks!

I'd love to check that out the tutorial when you guys redo it!
  6. Ok this seems a bit far fetched about how it could be executed but, how about a time period you have to wait to answer again if you get it wrong? that might help.
  7. As diplomatically as I can, I must emphasize that this will accomplish the opposite your intended outcome. The tutorial cannot and will not weed out the problem which is pestering everybody here. From the level of activity on this thread, it is obvious what a frustration this is for everybody. But who’s to say somebody that knocks the tutorial out of the park will not get in the game and still exhibit the undesirable behaviors which have created such a disturbance here?

I’m afraid that changes like this will chase away your mature, well-meaning membership at the door. If the first thing I saw on EMC was some ‘you’re not smart enough yet, gotcha!’ game I would have walked right off. EMC did great on the current tutorial. It’s professional and welcoming. It succeeds in reinforcing the importance of knowledge in and adherence to the rules, and also shows that they are taken seriously within the community. That is a solid start, and a good first impression. It also sets a foundation for justifiable enforcement of the rules. The tutorial sets ground rules and reflects the hospitality and character of the EMC community through the manner in which it welcomes new players, period.

So I believe EMC should maintain the high-ground on the matter, and refrain from preemptive administration of punishment. There’s enough oversight now to drop the hammer fall when players do, in fact, behave badly. What are we saying to new players if we act like some fraternity punks and challenge them at the door with this ‘are you good enough for this house?’ nonsense? If you take nothing else from this post, trust me in that this will not chase away the jerks and the loudmouths, it will discourage those who tend to be conscientious players because of the condescending attitudes exhibited at the door.

Finally, I’ve heard cries here for increased moderation. Nonsense. There is no current lack of moderator attention by any measure. With more servers and membership a need for more moderators will likely develop. But they are providing sufficient oversight, and are effective at current levels. In fact, they are possibly supportive beyond what is even necessary. I've been impressed by the level of support in game, and on the forums. Response time is almost immediate. I saw JustinGuy come online the other day, and he got absolutely mobbed by needy players – but he was tolerant and helpful throughout. And any time I’ve seen blatant spamming or inappropriate behavior, I’ve seen a ban response so consistent that other players have done a countdown for it! “3… 2… 1…, aaaaand so and so has been banned for spamming the chat”. How does that reflect inadequate moderation? You know, even with all the noise on chat I have a hard time understanding how it gets so much attention. I’m usually so engaged in mining or building that I need a phone call to even notice that a friend is on line.
  8. I'm glad to hear your toughts on the current tutorial BloodDisciple. And I'm also happy to hear you think it's done well. :)

Really, the only major problem with the tutorial now that needs to be addressed is that many people treat it as a simple maze and just muddle thier way through it without even reading the signs. What we would like is to make it so that people need to read the signs. Nothing more. Many of the suggestions made here stand to do that in one way or another.

I can assure you that any changes made to the turorial will be with the aim of preventing people from being able to pass it without reading the signs and actually answering the questions or to make it more informative or fun, and not to making it some "are you good enough" fraternity punk thing.

I'm also glad to hear you feel things are running well and that the level of moderation is adequate.

Thanks for your input! :)
  9. How about removing the sign at the end of the tutorial and putting it in the empire guide. That way you have to have read the guide at least once to discover the command you need to finish the tutorial and get to town for the first time.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  10. This has been looked at before, and it's a good idea. It ultimately would have a similar effect to what has been put in place (as announced in this thread): making people register on the website first. Either simply requires people to have knowledge of the website and the existence of the guide.

Something like this doesn't address the issue of people tromping through the tutorial like it's a random maze... but it's a good step in the right direction anyway.

It certainly couldn't hurt to have both in place: requiring registration in the beginning, and requiring looking in the guide at the end, for sure.
  11. Very well said, we value your input. EMC would not be what it is today if it wasn't for the great ideas and input of this awesome community. It is also nice to hear something good about moderation for a change ;)
    Nole972 likes this.
  12. Hear! Hear! We would have nothing but a mess if not for our mods. Thanks for all you guys do. Merry Christmas!
    BloodDisciple likes this.
  13. Sounds Great

also justin will have a new years bonus?
  14. That's a really good idea. One of my friends (Strawberrys12) just went through all of the tunnels and then she asked questions to me, so I told it to her and she understood. I told her to go to the Empire Guide though. I think that if when the player registers, they will receive an email or message, and it will have the link to the Empire guide so that they'll understand when they go through the tutorial maze.
  15. Yeah, that'd be great if we could have a New Year's Bonus. Or maybe like some diamonds :3
    JustinGuy likes this.
  16. JustinGuy I know that you changed the rules and how it works but I never got over 300 rupees, the entire time I was on the server. I never got the 1,500 rupees.