[BUIlD] signs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by louiskw, May 2, 2012.

1. I like this. It'd need a lot of tweaking to deal with lag, like Jeremy said, but there are lots of upsides to this. Maybe you could give someone container flag for just their area if they have a stall?
    This could possibly work (a little) more easily with a Worldedit-style selection system. Pick an item (wooden axe, string, something that isnt used much and would be used as a selection tool). Left click for point 1, right click for point 2. Then do //res pset [player] <flag> {true/false}.
    Then you can make more selections, or add another player to this selection.
    It's just a little more hand-on then the idea of putting coordinates on a sign, imo.
  2. I really like the way world edit works, its very user friendly after /wand. This leans more to the command based plugin type though, i can't help but notice ALOT of 'how do i use /res?' type questions. Everyone knows how to create an ACCESS sign which i think would be much easier
  3. Actually, not everyone does. Plus, could you imagine the confusion?
    "WAHT BLOCK CORD IS THS"
    "HWO DO I FIDN MY COORDINATS"
    If they don't know how to use res flags, then they really wouldn't know that you could set specialized area perms.
  4. Omg im a member now!
    im starting to lean more towards the w.e interface now. This is a feature only users in the know would be interested in so i guess a few commands /res sub create wouldnt be too bad
  5. ... and what would happen should a player take out the block under the sign? the sign would collapse, and the build zone would be removed, right?
  6. Ok, this is impossible to create with signs: users with permission to build in the specified zone could create more [BUILD] signs. Essentially taking the whole res over
  7. Maybe have a saftey for that.. Like all specified regions free to build aside from that single block? returning with the "you do not have permission to do that" message we all know so well.
  8. not true.. You could easily assign that build signs could only be created if you have the global -build flag.. without that flag no other signs could be created. same with TP signs for RTS
    louiskw likes this.
  9. Could make it so only the person that owns the residence could place [BUILD] signs, or require container and use flags in order to place them. ... If you try to place them without said flags, the sign would simply pop off like a shop that can't find the id.
    louiskw likes this.
  10. What do u guys think of secretazneks idea?
  11. I'm not going to quote any specific person but ill respond to all

For security: Yes I think ONLY the owner should be able to build them, and noone else regardless of their permissions (unless +admin was working and they had that). Also people would not be able to break the build sign itself except the owner.

For breaking blocks under it: If youve ever used a locked chest in the wild, you can break the block the signs attached to and the sign simply floats in the air. Same could be done here.

For performance: The # of signs wouldnt have a drastic impact. The performance impact lies in the fact that EVERY block break/place in a res would now have to check for signs in a specific radius.

Right now using a craft table looks for an access sign directly above it, but this feature would need to look much farther away, making it more of an expensive lookup.

So the # of signs doesnt really impact the performance much, its just the single addition of looking "do we have a sign period within X distance" that impacts performance. The logic to see if the names on the sign actually have access is super fast and nothing to worry about. So you could theoretically have like 30 signs and be same performance as like 3.

As for WE wand style: Thats a "configuration" detail. Implementation on how it knows who has access would of course be done on signs regardless of how the box was built. It very well could have a WE Style wand tool that helps you build the sign with the right data.

Think:
    1) /createsubzone
    2) Select NW corner 1 at Top of box
    3) Select SE corner 2 at bottom of box.
    4) Place sign with [build] as first line(has to be inside of the box), and names on 2nd and 3rd line (4th would not be usable due to data values actually being on 2nd line)
    This would build the sign exactly as I described above.

"Elite players" can manually create it themselves w/o the need to wand corners.
  12. I think this is a pretty good idea, a shame that is causes lag... :(
  13. Not necessarily... it MIGHT cause lag, depending on implementation.

But I think my suggested implementation should hopefully cause very little impact. If Justins open to implement this, me and d1223m will def be open to help him with the details and try to make this work :)
    marknaaijer likes this.
  14. I do know that Justin has a huge list of awesome ideas/things he wants to put into place once the new EMC platform/launcher are ready to go. Of course this won't be for some time, but I can see this kind of idea fitting into what he would LIKE to do. I won't expect an upfront answer on this or any other feature requests for a bit of time while he's focusing on getting that ready. It's a ton of work from what he's telling me he has to do.
  15. Whatever happens its gonna be every block in the game checking for a subgroup. The lag caused by ACCESS would be minimal compared as only the tool blocks check for an ACCESS sign
  16. Sorry if im behind, what is the emc platform/launcher?
  17. I can see lag being the real killer for this idea. As Aikar says, currently when opening a locked chest, or a Access sign. Only the block Above/Infront ect is checked.
    If you were to have build zones, when u break/place a block it has to check every block in the residence for a build sign, regardless if there is one there or not. Thats over 400,000 blocks.

However before i thought about the above issue with lag, I thought about the following idea:
    2 signs places at opposite corners marking out the build zone in a retangle. With an ID on each sign.

[BUILD]
    ID : Height
    NAME
    NAME

Second sign:
    [BUILD]
    ID

This would put the signs out of the way of the build area, and mark out the corners very simply.
    I think co-ordinates on the signs would be too a bit technical.

Ofcourse, this uses more signs, and likely more server resources :(
  18. Platform: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/whats-next-for-emc.6267/

The launcher is an idea that Justin is working on with a few other developers on the site, such as D1223m to be a custom launcher for EMC. Think of it like MagicLauncher or Spoutcraft, but more focused on just our community. A few goals of it are things like: Acceptable mods automatically integrated into the launcher and updated for you as they become updated. Prevention of upgrading the MC client until EMC servers are ready (think of when servers go from 1.0 - 1.1, etc.) and a lot of other cool features. It'll allow people to have a launcher that is 100% safe from putting in illegal mods/plugins that would get you banned (fly mod, etc.)
    MR2R2M, SephirothWS and louiskw like this.
  19. To simplify the idea (I think) we could use a /res command with two sets of coordinates (two opposite corners of a cube) to exclude that bit from our res (just like the wild) what will allow anyone to do whatever they want. Then just lock that space within a room and place a door with an access sign. I think that would be less resource hungry but harder to use.

P.S. Also access signs for teleporters would be nice :)
  20. i also think any thing that can be used to add lots of blocks extreamly fast sould saty in classic gameing but i also agree that diamond donaters/ admins/mods sould be abble to.