BIG DIG

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by The_BaconPotato, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Come out to SMP9 frontier and help me dig a hole
    This hole will be used for a tropical fish farm

Players can keep whatever they mine.
    The dig is above a Lush Cave biome.

This event will last until we hit bedrock

EDIT: I have mined the Nether Tunnel to be 3 blocks in height but I do not have enough ice to make it all the way. If someone else would like to make it ice and then take the ice back when we are done they can.

EDIT: I have build an XP farm on a Utopia residence. Anyone helping at the dig site will be welcome to share the XP from it to repair tools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions: /SMP9, /wild NE, through the Nether Portal, Follow the signs to the tunnel. After about a 20 minute walk go back into the overworld, then follow the frozen river in a south-west direction.
    The exact coords are: 1034414, -999716

Players should bring: multiple silk touch pick axes, multiple silk touch shovels,
    an axe, a hoe (voter's hoe and axe work well), a bed, shulkers, armor, Eye of Horus, and food.
    I neglected to build any kind of renewable food source on location, so its recommended to bring plenty of food with you.

I have set up a 'community shack' with space for beds and storage chests that can be [locked]. Players may build their own shack if they want but must build it on the ice to prevent damage to the surrounding biome. If you choose to build your own private shack, bring your own materials.
    DO NOT CUT DOWN TREES OR USE NEARBY RESOURCES.

If you mine it, you can keep it. Make sure you are only mining within the blue outline I have made. Some valuables you might find are: Clay, Spore Blossoms, Ores, Gravel, Granite, Andesite, Diorite, and Deepslate ores. If you don't want to keep something, there are donation chests on the top level of the community shack. Only donate ore blocks that have been mined with silk touch, raw ores and ingots are not wanted. Please do not donate Stone, Cobblestone, or Dirt.
    Use /trash or let them despawn on the ground.

WARNING: There are long drops and lava in the caves below the dig site.

RULES
    Do not cut down the trees or destroy the hills outside of the blue square.

Players may build their own shacks/houses ON THE ICE. Do not build in the trees or on land

All players are expected to deconstruct any shacks/houses they build after the dig is done.

Do not build Nether Portals in the area. Use the one already created to get back to town.

Do not dig outside of the blue outline.

Do not place anything in buildmode inside the blue outline. Beacons are an exception.

There are 4 beacon locations set up already. There is no need for players to bring more, but if players wish to set more up they will be responsible for collecting them again when dig is done.

Dig from the top. Do not dig from the bottom as this will make the dig more difficult.

Do not dig below Y= -60

Do not steal from other players.

Tell The_BaconPotato about any buildmoded blocks you find. There are probably some torches and some wood planks I will probably need to remove.
  2. Suggestion: set up a railroad to reduce the walk time.
    FadedMartian and We3_MPO like this.

3. as in letting fish spawn repeatedly?
    We3_MPO likes this.
  4. When is this happening? OP didn't say.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. I used the server map to find out. It's already under way. But I don't want to walk for 20 minutes just to get there.
    BreezyMan, We3_MPO and farmerguyson like this.
  6. I started it back in September, but I have made little progress due to how little I am able to play. The hole is still only down to Y=63.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  7. Yes.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  8. wow. Been digging, this is rally a big area!
  9. fill the area with water and use 1/2 conduits as needed ;)
    We3_MPO and KatydidBuild like this.
  10. We will use water to get rid of the lava when we get down to it, but filling in the entire hole and using conduits is not a practical option.
    We3_MPO likes this.

11. I filled a 7x7 chunks hole with water (4 sources, not one more) and used a conduit.
    What's not practical about it?
    Bosoc likes this.
  12. I'll entertain your vague comments. How did you fill a 7x7 chunk area with 4 sources? and how did you get rid of the water after you were done digging?
  13. you exploit minecraft's water "physics"

1. you place the sources (halfway along the sides is optimal)
    2. you dig layer by layer, making sure to dig first the part not yet covered by water
    3. if there are holes that go below the y level you're currently digging, make sure to plug them with dirt for a moment
    4. dig the part underneath the water (best if you do just the outer rim where the water stops flowing at first), and wait for the water to spread out 8 blocks in each direction. if it does not spread, there are unplugged holes.
    5. repeat 1-5 until the whole area is covered with water
    6. dig to your heart's content (remember to keep your feet firmly on the bottom)
    7. if at any point, you find a cave/ravine that opens up one of your walls, plug that.

you swim up with a bucket and then you wait a couple of minutes for the water to disappear after you pick the 4 sources up.
    if you encounter more sources along the way, you'll spot them and remove them then.
    after that, scaffold up to the conduits and take them down.

the only thing you have to worry about with this system are the drowned, but basically you get a bunch of tridents and nautilus shells.
    day/night cycle is almost irrelevant: the conduit gives you night vision, but there's a bit more drowned at night.

you can reduce the amount of drowned by shifting the water sources down as you dig, but I leave that lecture to another time :D
    We3_MPO and farmerguyson like this.