Are players (entities) getting a brain?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Hi gang,

One of the Minecraft commands I enjoy the most for tweaking is the /data command because it allows you to gain access to pretty much everything you want to know about an entity (or block).

Because of that I sometimes also check all player (and/or mob) properties just to see if I can find something interesting, and guess what?

This is on 1.14.4 mind you:

This is the output of the command: /data get entity @p Brain. Intriguing don't you think? There is a brain property which contains 'memories' which makes me wonder how they're going to use this (if they are). I tried looking this up on the Minecraft wiki but it seems they're unaware of this property right now.

Of course I have a theory, and I sure hope that I'm wrong... I could imagine that this may influence your crafting options. You 'study' a recipe after which it gets stored in your 'brain' allowing you to use it for as long as you remember. As soon as you forget the recipe you can no longer craft that specific item and would have to re-learn the recipe all over again.

Obviously this is assuming that they're not going to do something entirely new instead of using this for already existing game mechanics. Not sure I'd like "temporary" recipes but then again, it could make things more difficult and challenging.

What do you guys think?
    • Brain: Everything this entity has to keep in mind.
      • memories: Empty for all but villagers.
        • minecraft:meeting_point: Where this villager's meeting point is.
          • pos: The X Y and Z values of the meeting point.
          • dimension: The dimension ID of the meeting point.
        • minecraft:home: Where this villager's bed is.
          • pos: The X Y and Z values of the bed.
          • dimension: The dimension ID of the bed.
        • minecraft:job_site: Where this villager's job site block is.
          • pos: The X Y and Z values of the job site block.
          • dimension: The dimension ID of the job site block.
    Found this chunk of text well hidden in this minecraft wiki site:
    https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Chunk_format#Entity_format

1. click the 'mobs' link in the navigation box
    2. click the 'show' link next to one of the mobs' names
    3. open the 'tags common to all mobs' link and scroll down to find it.

Looks like its only being used for villagers right now.
    607, Stnywitness and ShelLuser like this.
  2. Nice find! First time I see Mojang also use a property for a specific mob with the player entity setup. They usually keep this separated and set up some options specifically for certain mobs.

I still hope they did so for a reason instead of a possible oversight.
    607 and NuclearBobomb like this.
  3. Man, this reminds me of the days back before entity pathfinding. I remember mobs were so stupid that they would walk off of cliffs. I even remember when mobs would intentionally walk into lava, just to get to you.

I'm interested in what Mojang has for the future of Minecraft with their mob AI~
    607, NuclearBobomb and HazardousCode like this.
  4. I could never get a brain silly ;)
  5. Aha! So that's what's stalling the update, eh? ;)

Well, don't feel too bad. As you can see in the screenshot my character apparently has a brain (property) but it's pretty empty ;)
    607 and Burki like this.