Admin Command being opned

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wipple4, Feb 20, 2013.

?

Should admin command be open?

Yes 21 vote(s) 27.3%
No 56 vote(s) 72.7%
  1. You're right, it is.
    My intention is to criticize the "it can be abused, so let's ban it" attitude.

I'm not directly interested in that admin flag at the moment, but I think it could be a very useful collaboration tool for joint ventures etc. I was several times hired to build something and I needed subcontractors for digging. Having an option to grant them and then remove build permission would have been quite helpful.

People using a tool need to inform themselves about how to use it and what are the dangers. You can not and shall not take that away, unless you're dealing with minors or incapable persons.

What I'm strongly criticizing is "protecting" members from themselves, because they "don't know what they are doing, we have way to many reports showing that."

Fair enough.
    Is it from mods or from players point of view?

Well, that's it - you're trying to protect the players from implications of their own lack of clue / understanding.
    You're trying to create a protected environment for them to play, where the risks are minimized.
    This is quite exactly description of a kindergarten :)
    Do you need to protect them in such a way? Is this really the optimal solution? Is this the best way for players to learn and develop?
    It might be for smaller kids, but generally, I don't think so.

Having an option to trust your playmates and participate in joint ventures is in no way helping griefers.

EDIT: Most of us live in overprotective environments, but I'm quite sure that this has more negative than positive effects.
  2. Well, based on the poll so far, I'd say both. :p
  3. They're not treating us like children, honestly it's a smart thing. We already have members who give out build/use/container to random people only to come back to their house being burned down, their stuff stolen from their chests, generators broken etc. That stuff happens several times a day because of people just giving out random permissions. Those of us saying no have either A. Had this happen to us/almost happen to us. or B. Are tired of hearing the "REPORT SO AND SO HE GREIFED ME!"

Just as IcC said:
    If I give you perms to my res with Admin then you can give perms, then your friend with perms can give perms, and before it's all over with the entire empire has perms on my res and it looks like a bomb went off and I have nothing left.
  4. Hey, why don't you give the Senior Staff the ability to allow players to toggle admin flag if they've been on for a certain length of time and they request it, ICC?
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  5. well its just like giving someone container, u need to trust em too, they can take advantage of it and destroy your res so theres no differecne
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  6. You could always make it so the owner of the res is the only one who can give out admin, and the "admins" cannot remove the owners flags.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  7. That's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to suggest it to the rest of the staff, and claim it was mine :p
    Curundu likes this.
  8. We've survived way over a year without it, so I'm sure that it's not "needed" at all. Just for convenience, really and even then, way too many negatives.
  9. Well I think you should have admin however if there was a moderator flag that makes it so they can give out perms :p
    Also this would prevent the person from stealing the res.