A Question About VoxelMap

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Dreacon78, Mar 18, 2018.

1. So I recently reloaded and reinstalled MC to my new laptop after my old one decided to call it quits suddenly. With this reload I had to reinstall all the mods I use. So far they all seem to work with the exception of VoxelMap.
    Now my questions is this, is there something special I need to do in order to import old way points that I had set up? I have asked this question on the mod site as well, but I figured you all will probably answer faster than they will.

Just for information purposes, I have checked to make sure the points files match the emc.gs naming setup and I have placed them into the voxelmap folder. Now some of the way points seem to be working, but not all of them. Do I need to change the names of the files or change some setting someplace to get it to work?

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get back into EMC again. I also would really like to avoid having to remake my way points as some them are pretty spread out.
  2. I have not tried to move waypoint files from one MC installation to another yet. I have looked at them though, thinking that I might convert some old Rei's Minimap waypoints to Voxelmap's format. It has been a while since I looked at them, but as I recall both seemed relatively straightforward.

I've noticed some odd things with Voxelmap. It seems to randomly ask me to identify what world I am on after I have already done so. I have also noticed that it doesn't work right if I use /smp? to switch servers instead of disconnecting then reconnecting through the client menu and waypoints seem to disappear then reappear. So far I only(think I) understand the second problem.

When I look at my smp3 waypoint file in an editor, it lists these subworlds: SMP3 Nether, SMP3 Town, SMP3 Wild. My smp7 waypoint file lists other servers other than smp7 as subworlds: smp3 Frontier, SMP5 Frontier, SMP5 Nether, SMP6 NWaste, SMP6 Town, SMP6 Waste, SMP7 NWaste, SMP7 Town, SMP7 Waste, SMP9 Town, SMP9 Waste, Waste End smp7. All of these are server names I have entered into Voxelmap when prompted. Some of the waypoints have a subworld field that corresponds to one in the list and some do not. I have not investigated into how the lack of an entry in the world field presents itself waypoint-wise.

In my case, I think the reason waypoints disappear and reappear is because my smp7 file has waypoints from other servers that were added after I connected to smp7 then switched to another server using the /smp command. When I create a waypoint, the record is then added to the smp7 waypoint file instead of the smp3 file(or wherever I jumped to). If I then connect to smp3 through the client menu the waypoint is not there because it is in the smp7 file rather than the smp3 file, but others are. These are the ones which were previously created after connecting to smp3 using the client menu causing them to reside in the smp3 waypoint file instead of the smp7 file like the others.

I would check two things. First, make sure the names of the old files correspond to the urls you use to connect. For example, when I connect to smp7, I use "smp7.emc.gs" in the client menu. The waypoint file that results is named "smp7.emc.gs.points". If they do not match that may be the cause of your problem.

Second, look in your points files and see whether they are mixed like mine are. I've never bothered to sort them out yet and since I noticed the problem I have just tried to consistently connect only through the client menu if I intend to use wayponts. Using the client menu yields multiple points files with fewer subworlds that correspond to the sub-server I visit: Town, Fronntier, Waste, etc. If you prefer the /smp command, you would want to always connect to a single server initially which would yield a single points file with many subworlds from different servers. I would avoid connecting to different servers initially then using /smp? though since it would add your waypoints to different files and make them seem to appear randomly.

Based on your post, I suspect you are going to find that your waypoints are mixed up in different points files. If so, you should be able to edit these files manually so that they work logically and are consistent with whatever method you prefer to switch servers.

It's pretty late for me, but I would be interested in looking into it further. Could you post your points files somewhere? If not and you figure out the problem, please post what you learned.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  3. Then this is for the honor of Grayskull, errr: Empire Minecraft. Sorry, too much She-Ra this weekend :D

(I'm honestly not even joking, poor me (naah, not that bad but I like He-Man better myself)).

Now, before derailing this thread into oblivion....

Talking Windows here.. Voxel mods (there are more) are actually pretty solidly made because they store their data in an easily found (and copied!) place. On Windows look here: "%appdata%\.minecraft\mods\VoxelMods" (without the quotes). So: just start explorer (open "my documents" for example) and then enter the whole kaboodle between the quotes. You'll see soon enough.

In that folder you'll find at least 2 things: A sub-folder called voxelMap and a file called voxelmap.properties. That is the data you want to keep safe and copy onto your new laptop. It contains everything VoxelMap knows about your maps, and the server(s) you frequent.

Just place this into the same directory (/ folder) and you should be good.

Hope this helps.

Did I beat the record? :D

Seriously: that music... I HAVE THE POWER... BLOCKS!!!
    Pab10S likes this.
  4. After reading what you both said I took a chance and removed the properties file and then restarted MC.
    Once it was loaded up I jumped into EMC and so far it is looking like it has fixed things.
    Now I have a different list of way points from what I was using last and what I have saved so those newer way points will be gone until I can access the hardrives with some tools I ordered.
    All things considered it looks like it has worked.

Thanks a ton for the assist.
    Going to go test the rest of the servers and worlds within them to make sure.
    :)